onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

4 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Problem with all the statistical analysis of a players performance is that it doesn't measure character. We are obviously trying to stamp out "character" where it makes a player difficult to handle off the pitch. Might be better for performance/results but is nothing like as entertaining or engaging for the fans. 

Not quite sure I follow here that character is more important than performances and results. One thinks of Oldham and Bahamboula who they loved but are now facing life outside the EFL.

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

As in Johnson of Preston?

He's a regular for Preston, that would be a huge shock move.  Although only 24 apps last season. 

How old is Johnson now? Always rated him tbf.  I remember him playing against us for Preston the year after we'd gone up under Adams.  Think we drew 2-2 at home(Duffy got sent off but I think we had a peno last minute as well?) and he was one if not their best player on the night, was on loan from Villa at the time and eventually they got him permanently when they went up.  I'd drive him to Vale myself if he was interested.

16 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

As in Johnson of Preston?

He's a regular for Preston, that would be a huge shock move.  Although only 24 apps last season. 

I think it's the Danny Johnson who is at Mansfield and was at Orient before. Seem to remember he had a good season at Orient before heading to Mansfield and for whatever reason not quite fired there.

14 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Steady record in League One/SPL and some games in the Championship for Sheffield Wed as well.  We could certainly do worse although I wonder he could be a bit past his best if Lincoln are getting rid?

Just now, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Steady record in League One/SPL and some games in the Championship for Sheffield Wed as well.  We could certainly do worse although I wonder he could be a bit past his best if Lincoln are getting rid?

Had ok season last year, maybe just the new manager doesn't fancy him.

Definitely would improve our squad . Always had an eye for goal, seeing as we like people of good character, the Lincoln manager speaks well of his professionalism. 

4 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

I would just like us to sign someone, anyone, right now. I know we will this week.

hope your right and we do sign players this week , personally i think were hitting brick walls , 9 days to go after today to the first game of the season , and we barely have enough fit players to have a starting 11 plus 5 subs , hope it gets sorted 

5 hours ago, Alsager Whites said:

If what I have been told is to be believed, it was more that Gibbo's offer was miles below other players within the salary cap. He didn't want to be the top earner but the offer effectively gave him no choice. I'm a fan of the salary cap but this isn't an example of it's merit as Gibbo would have been quite happy to sit on a wage well within it - Flitcroft didn't value him the same! It wasn't just that others were paid more, but the offer gave him no choice but to look elsewhere (and he had more offers than just Rovers and us). It was that low in base pay.

You can choose to believe this or not but I'm confident it's accurate.

I dont think it is accurate but hey ho

Gibbo is no longer our player..... we move on

We must be extremely confident that the deals we're being patient with will come off. The club don't appear rushed.

Football is the most cut-throat industry where a player can verbally agree to sign one place, only for him to turn up on social media signing up for another club within hours. 

It's a risk. We might have some outstanding players lined up but we're in deep trouble if a few of them get late, better offers. Leaving business this close to the start of the season is a high-risk, high reward strategy. It'd be fine if we were doing this with 1-2 players but we're doing it with a third of the squad. It may pay off and we sign 7 excellent players in the next 5 weeks for cut-price deals.

We're a much different club now but I have bad memories of us being patient for strikers a couple of summers ago - we waited for one to commit, messed around another, then the first re-signed at his club, the second went elsewhere, and we ended up with a much smaller pool to choose from... and went with Robinson! Not saying the same will happen but everyone has a plan till they get punched in the face, as a philosopher once stated.

Archived