onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Best pubs /Ales

boslemportvale91

Advert

17 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

What's Newcastle like for pubs nowadays? Thinking back, there were so many 'locals' pubs that I'd never ever considered going in but that I'd gravitate towards nowadays. Imagine most of them have closed (or been knocked) down now.

I always enjoyed the Lymestones, that still going and has some decent ales. Hogarths is good for the football/boxing 

Bridge ale House is still going I believe. Castle is a funny place, full of those horrible chain bars like spoons and Yates or it has the micro pubs which is the new trend nowadays 

I never went when I visited but heard the Beatles themed bar hard days night Is alright 

3 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

What's Newcastle like for pubs nowadays? Thinking back, there were so many 'locals' pubs that I'd never ever considered going in but that I'd gravitate towards nowadays. Imagine most of them have closed (or been knocked) down now.

Newcastle is great for ales and craft beer. 

Wellers, Bridge Street ale house, Mellards and the Hopwater Cellar are all fantastic! Just outside of Newcastle you have the Hopinn which is also great. 

Ten green bottles ok too. Lymestone also ok. 

I used to love the full moon as well before it went down hill. Great music venue and had some cracking bands playing there including Hollywood actor Paddy Considine.

Highlight for me was bumping into Pope,Yates and Dodds after the Burton game during the promotion season. The DJ even played the wonder of you as the last song of the night. Great times 

I would throw Nantwich into the mix, Black Lion, Cheshire Cat, Crown Hotel, The Vine, Red Cow, and The Leopard all good friendly boozers with a mix of good food, Sky sports and atmosphere, all within a 5 minute walk, they were busy mid week as well, but obviously Covid has put the mockers on that.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

Only been in a few pubs in castle, the rigger, old house at home and I think a pub called the bear in some back street somewhere off Florence street.

The bear is now apartments! Old House at home is good. Like the greyhound further up but they kick you out for swearing. Fair enough their choice but always found that a bit odd for a pub. I like ten green bottles in castle as well. As I get older I find myself driving out somewhere for a scenic pint with the Mrs so been going to Gresley Arms in Alsagers bank or the shroppie fly in Audlem quite a bit in the summer. 

3 hours ago, WV said:

The bear is now apartments! Old House at home is good. Like the greyhound further up but they kick you out for swearing. Fair enough their choice but always found that a bit odd for a pub. I like ten green bottles in castle as well. As I get older I find myself driving out somewhere for a scenic pint with the Mrs so been going to Gresley Arms in Alsagers bank or the shroppie fly in Audlem quite a bit in the summer. 

Yes used to go the shroppie fly a lot when a group of us used to go on motorbikes.

Archived