onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Darrell Clarke

valefan16

13 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

The clue is literally in the name. A director of football oversees every bit of the football side to make sure it is all running efficiently and to one plan etc

If it’s the job you’re suggesting it would just be called director of recruitment

I know I’m not thick... I’m asking more literally what is he actually doing and why do we need one? Look time will tell on this one. I’m still not convinced it was the right step for us to take at the stage of the season and position we were at / are in. 

Advert

We don't need one it's <ovf censored>

I know I’m not thick... I’m asking more literally what is he actually doing and why do we need one? Look time will tell on this one. I’m still not convinced it was the right step for us to take at the stage of the season and position we were at / are in. 

30 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I agree but it does show Carol has put the money in. It may not be the quick fix we want and I think it will take a year to reap the benefits but it is certainly better than just Askey. 

My biggest concern is that Askey may well have been a better man manager and coach than Clarke, even if he was hopeless at buying players. 

If that is the case we very well may go down.

I have to say I'm loving his interviews and I agree with everything he says.
I'm not enjoying the football we are playing under him but I'm giving him a pass this season. The relegation form has been happening since November. He's trying every formation possible and still no joy I'm afraid the reality is we aren't good enough a turn around of form just isn't going to happen and it will only be luck that keeps us up. The other teams around us strengthened in January where as we signed Askeys targets just weeks after sacking him for his poor recruitment. Carol and the board are the only people to blame for this and it will cost them a fortune when we drop out the league. But like the previous 40 odd years I will still be there handing my money over and supporting my club because they will need us more than ever

8 hours ago, Mellor! said:

Who needs a DOF, fitness or sports science experts?

Just it eet ded ard vale! Fuckin ell, pass eet and put eet in the net.

Carol can't win. She'll never win over half the dinosaurs supporting us.

Guess 80% of the other league sides are dinosaurs then

9 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

I agree but it does show Carol has put the money in. It may not be the quick fix we want and I think it will take a year to reap the benefits but it is certainly better than just Askey. 

My biggest concern is that Askey may well have been a better man manager and coach than Clarke, even if he was hopeless at buying players. 

If that is the case we very well may go down.

Agree it is better. There’s no doubting that and yeah credit to carol for putting the money in. Still not sure it was the right move at that time, as I posted earlier Colin has been at the club some time and should know what needed changing / improving. I find it a bit odd that as soon as a bloke who applied to be manager suggests he wants to be DOF we all of a sudden jump into that. I can’t imagine that model with the extra staff being brought in would be viable if we went down 

Just a pity it's all a bit too late.
Are you talking this season or long term ?
It may be late but given Carol was not a football person - she has, finally realised that she needs football people to run that side of things and she is putting the building blocks in place.
It will take time for them to have an effect but I'm sure they will.
There are 13 league games left to play, that's over a quarter of a season. Time enough to gain enough points to stay in this division.
Rome wasn't built in a day, have some faith, no-one wants us to go down. It's been a tough week on the pitch but that's gone now, 3 home games to come and better players on the mend.
We aren't down yet, plenty of fans of other clubs are feeling just as we are, keep the faith.

What does make me laugh is some of the OVFers who were crying out for change and a Manager who had no connections to the club are now berating the incumbent before he’s even had a transfer window or 10 games. 🙄

What’s important now is we get some wins this month and one needs to come in the next seven days!

I’m tempted to get down to the ground and give some of the underperforming players a pep talk. 

17 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

Where do you get the 80% figure from?

It was just a random figure however gone through it and I can see 6 sides out of the 24 that have one so 75%. As I say time will tell it’s worked some and not for others, just not convinced that with the position we are in that it was the right move. Maybe at the end of the season, however the priority should have been to replace askey quickly and give the new manager the jan transfer window and then look into this in the summer imo. 

Archived