onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

McKirdy & Robinson...Goodbye ?

blackdog

Askey is a big fan of Kurtis Guthrie isn't he? With McCall leaving and Guthrie not in the side would they maybe do a similar thing to what we've done with Robinson and make Guthrie available. I bet Askey would be interested if that did happen.

Reading the Bradford forum about last nights game, there is talk about Guthrie and it’s not exactly positive rating him as ‘ non league’ in at least one person’s view

Advert

2 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

I was looking for that last night mate. Makes “fun” reading. 

On 24/08/2020 at 12:28, valeblue said:

Don't you come on here with your rational and common sense !! hes [Robinson] crap apparently and shouldn't be seen in a Vale shirt according to Doha , santa , tjh valiant etc

hd_67ef1248-8a5e-4c87-9c43-ee5714b4078e_

That's where the budget comes in there were 2 wingers and 3 forwards we lost out on because of wages so that makes them 3rd and 4th choice and that's just what we know of. So yes his signings have been poor but we don't know the full story as to why but I'm not confident that the pattern will change in January as his history dictates it won't

31 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

Browne was a success, he played well and earned a new contract. The fact that he subsequently left doesn't change the fact that he did well. Many players leave clubs when fans and management want them to stay, doesn't mean they were failures. 

Lloyd was a cheap squad player, he fulfilled his remit. Archer was a glorified trialist, the club took a look and opted to release. I'd expect most clubs have a couple of punts on their books, cheap long shots. Players are not necessarily a failure if things don't work out.

Unnecessary semantics mate.

They failed to succeed at Vale. Players are signed to benefit the club. They failed to do so (only exception being Browne as it was an unexpected resignation for family reasons). Askey failed to improve the squad, they were failed Askey signings, that's the long and short of it.

1 minute ago, osprey said:

Reading the Bradford forum about last nights game, there is talk about Guthrie and it’s not exactly positive rating him as ‘ non league’ in at least one person’s view

Beat me to it mate. 

Am I alone in thinking that yet again because he terrorised Smith when Stevenage tore us apart was it 4-1 at Vale Park that he's the man for the job.

On here I'll include myself we are very quick to make a judgement on one game alone.

Last season for example Macc finished 22nd. Possibly our worst performance of the season and one of their better ones. There was a list on here a mile long of who we ought to sign. Osadebe, Gnaouha, Ironside etc etc. 

Maybe that was Guthrie's pinnacle that day in the 4-1 because he's done bugger all since. 

I know Bradford are a big club in this division but have one of the worst goals scored record in the division and some are advocating signing one of their reserves !!! 

8 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I know Bradford are a big club in this division but have one of the worst goals scored record in the division and some are advocating signing one of their reserves !!! 

Hold on... I mentioned Guthrie but I wasn't advocating the move. Please don't link someone suggesting a possible target with that person wanting the player.

I was replying to a question of who John Askey may bring in. Kurtis Guthrie is known to be a target of his (it was mentioned on the commentary last night) and he is out of favour.

So I suggested he may be a target. At no point did I say he was

a) My own choice

b) The new messiah

1 minute ago, robf said:

Hold on... I mentioned Guthrie but I wasn't advocating the move. Please don't link someone suggesting a possible target with that person wanting the player.

I was replying to a question of who John Askey may bring in. Kurtis Guthrie is known to be a target of his (it was mentioned on the commentary last night) and he is out of favour.

So I suggested he may be a target. At no point did I say he was

a) My own choice

b) The new messiah

Others were Rob and on other threads I wasn't having a pop at your post 

7 minutes ago, Santa said:

Guthrie was excellent against us in that Good Friday match.

However, I'd be wary of signing a player solely on the strength of how well they play against us.

Agreed. And once someone signs for us it will take less time though for some of our fans to turn on a player and decide he’s crap. 

5 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Bennett scored 6 league goals in 17 starts and was sold for money.  How is that a failure, Rob?

Jean, I have no idea what the transfer fee was but I presume it was nominal. 

He left for a team in the division below partway through his contract... in my eyes that's a failure. If he was a success then Vale didn't try very hard to stop him going.

3 minutes ago, robf said:

Jean, I have no idea what the transfer fee was but I presume it was nominal. 

He left for a team in the division below partway through his contract... in my eyes that's a failure. If he was a success then Vale didn't try very hard to stop him going.

The rumour was that the fee was five figures which is better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick!

Just now, Jacko51 said:

The rumour was that the fee was five figures which is better than a poke in the eye with a pointy stick!

For me success means a player who improves the squad.

If you're judging success purely by scoring stats then Bennett's scoring record is roughly equivalent to Ricky Miller's the previous season (also six goals). Admittedly Miller had other issues (and I'm sure Bennett's wages were less) but in pure footballing/goalscoring terms, there's no improvement.

Yes, a sum of money came in which mitigates the "failure" a bit but arguably Bennett didn't improve anything and indeed that was why he was allowed to leave early.

With McKirdy i am sure it was WV on here who said he would never join us as he has always said that(WV knows him),he is a massive stoke fan and has hated vale in the past,maybe he brags to his stokie mates of any disruption he causes who knows(none of that bit came off WV by the way). Either way he is best rid of.

As for Theo i think he got a rough ride when he signed because it was Theo(who had been <ovf censored> here),if it was any other striker with his record last season then i think most would of welcomed it

Archived