onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Hopes for the new season

TylerB

So are we all just about content with the business done over the last few weeks? Are you optimistic that we will do well, or will the apparent lack of goals in the side, especially without Jake Taylor, ultimately be our downfall?

Speaking for myself, I'm pretty satisfied with the signings Askey has made. I would consider all of them as squad players more then genuine automatic first-choices. But that's not a bad thing. I thought last season we had an 11 to give anyone a game in the division, but often lacked depth once we inevitably had a few injuries. We now genuinely have at least two players for every position, and what I'd consider a second 11 below I believe would hold it's own in League Two.

Visser, Mills, Brisley, Crooks, Fitzpatrick, Whitehead, Oyeleke, Browne, Robinson, Pope, Rodney

If that was our first 11 I'd expect it to be good enough not to be in a relegation scrap.

In an ideal world we would have both Taylor and Clark back on loan which would undoubtedly make us even stronger, but it's not an ideal world unfortunately. But Askey has a pretty good track record so far in regards to the loan signings he has made and I would trust him to be astute with any loans he makes throughout the upcoming season, if and when required.

I don't believe that just because we missed out on the play-off's by a whisker last season that it means we will automatically be a contender again this time around. But I do believe keeping the squad together is a massive bonus for us, and especially keeping Nathan Smith at the club who would have been close to irreplaceable without spending money. The signings brought into the club all seem to be of the right character, and add depth to the squad. I'm always apprehensive when it comes to Port Vale as in the past they always seem to find a way to kick you in the gonads if and when you show a little optimism. But with the wonderful new owners, who have without question breathed new life into the club, and the big man Askey himself who just comes across as sensible and someone you can trust in, I can't help but be cautiously optimistic for the season that lies ahead. 

Advert

So are we all just about content with the business done over the last few weeks? Are you optimistic that we will do well, or will the apparent lack of goals in the side, especially without Jake Taylor, ultimately be our downfall?

That is my only concern, yes we have four strikers and hopefully midfield chip in. But last season we never really put sides to the sword, Hence we only had a plus 6 GD .

Too many times we clung onto a slender lead and the amount of late goals conceded has been well documented on here.

As you said Tyler last season has to be ruled out, Notts County went from play offs to relegation. However because of the climate in football at the moment keeping a settled side ought to stand us in good stead.

I'm quietly optimistic without shouting it from the rooftops.

It's always difficult to know. How has this Covid virus affected players and clubs, in terms of not being able to play much for months? Will some of the big spending teams see their outlays pay-off? 

I'm not certain that we have enough goals throughout our team and I think that could be our downfall. The central striker - yes we do - Pope, Cullen and Robinson will all guarantee you double figures if they play 46 games. But, elsewhere, no, we don't have proven scorers who you can expect to see ten goals from. That's my worry. And, Oyeleke.

Having pointed that out I hope that we can do at least as well as last year, go one better and make the play-offs. Aiming for the top seven, with anything else a bonus.

I'm not sure that our new lads will all be second picks. It would not entirely surprise me to see Robinson in the team and I'm not convinced that Askey thinks both full backs are reliable, hence he preferred Clark. 

We do have a stronger squad than last year so ought to be aiming high. Play-offs would be very good, for me.

Overall I think we'll do ok. However I am disappointed that neither Clarke or Taylor have returned on loan.They were a class above Div 2 and would have made a real difference.Not sure what's happened there?Presume it's to do with salaries or their availability. I'm sure Vale  have been in contact but will they end up on loan in Div 1 somewhere? What would really disappoint me if they ended up on loan in Div 2 at another club.

If Fitzpatrick,Mills or Whitehead had to play regularly I think we would be play offs at very best. That would be a lottery and we have to get out of this league asp. Not easy and with the structure now in place at the club  promotion has to be our aim. 

I'd be a little disappointed if we aren't around the play-offs. Depends a bit on how much our continuity relative to other clubs works out. Definitely I have more faith in our "squad" players this time around. 

Our biggest problem last season was relatively poor results against the lower teams. We seemed to struggle against teams that "did not want to play". Maybe we lacked a bit of flexibility at times? Hopefully something Arthur will iron out this time around.

28 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I'd be a little disappointed if we aren't around the play-offs. Depends a bit on how much our continuity relative to other clubs works out. Definitely I have more faith in our "squad" players this time around. 

Our biggest problem last season was relatively poor results against the lower teams. We seemed to struggle against teams that "did not want to play". Maybe we lacked a bit of flexibility at times? Hopefully something Arthur will iron out this time around.

Your last paragraph is a really good point.

Macclesfield 1 point

Stevenage 4 points after a last kick penalty following a dire game

Morecambe 3 points , not convinced we'd of won at home without the crazy red card 

Mansfield 2 points

Scunny 1 point 

11 points from 30 against the bottom 5 . 

I felt that defending our unbeaten home record had negative affect on our performances, specially the longer it went on. I wasn’t pleased to lose it to Walsall as it was a shocking game with one chance immediately after half time. I’d rather go the win and get three points instead of picking up single points. I would say that I feel that it cost us the play offs, but there again we did have some fantastic results against teams where we didn’t even expect to get a point.

I was hoping last season for 14th finish and safe by Easter, so IMO we over achieved. Looking back I don’t feel that any team was superior to us. This season is a big season for JA and it could be said that this is now his team. I’d say that we should expect to be in the play offs.

If we can turn all those draws in to wins we will do very well that was one of our problems last season,i am confident we will at least get in the play offs but we all know football isnt that simple,clubs before have just missed out and then struggled the following season but i really cant see that.

My biggest hope of all is that we all get to see some live football inside VP sooner rather than later

I think we will score enough goals to do well if we defend the way we know we can. We have an excellent keeper and backline, and those in reserve such as Brisley and Mills are no mugs. Conlon should score a few more than he has done in the past now that he plays a bit further up the pitch. Theres no reason he can't get at least 5 goals and the same goes with Scott Burgess. Worrall started to score a few more in the second half of last season. Amoo with his ability should be aiming towards double figures. Realistically I think these players should be looking to score:

Cullen 15 (if he has a relatively injury free season)

Robinson 10-15

Pope 5-8

Amoo 5

Worrall 5

Burgess and Conlon 10

Smith and Legge 5-8

Other 10+

If we convert our chances more than we did last season then on the optimistic side you're looking at around 70 goals which would be a considerable improvement in last season. I think we can be even better defensively than we generally were last season too. Our back up options are better.

One of the constant themes already is how we are going to score enough goals to put ourselves into the playoffs or automatic promotion places. At 50 goals last season, we were just 3 below the average goals scored by the teams in the playoff places; but we were 13 goals short of the average for the top three, which is a lot of goals to make up.

Out of interest, I checked where our goals had come from and it looks like this:

Defence 11 (Gibbo 1, Legge 4, Smith 5 and Brisley 1)

Midfield: 11 (Joyce 1, Burgess 3, Conlon 1, Taylor 5 and Atkinson 1)

Forwards: 25 (Amoo 4, Bennet 6, Pope 6, Cullen 5 and Wozza 4)

Own goals: 3

Out of that list, midfield is our weakest contributor especially as Taylor is no longer with us and we will have to improve a lot in this area. That for me is the biggest challenge we face.

Interestingly, one soccer stats site lists our weaknesses as:

• defending attacks down the wings
  • defending shots from distance
  • avoiding fouling in dangerous areas and  
  • protecting the lead (marked as "very weak").

So my hope is that we can improve in these areas, particularly our mental toughness so that we stop conceding in the last ten minutes or so, which cost us a fair few points last season.

Of course, we could go up scoring fewer goals than any of the other promoted teams providing our defence keeps out the opposition but it's asking a lot. Hopefully with our new strike force and a bigger contribution from midfield, we are going to get close to 60 or more.  

Here's looking forward to an exciting and successful season.

Archived