Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

Did Smith get released from Stokes academy or have I dreamt that? Talking of Stoke I'm pretty certain that their record for producing players is even worse than ours, despite the money they pump in to it.

Ultimately it takes time as well. Crewes academy has been decent for a lot of years now, over 30,  ours hasn't. But surely there has to come a cut off point where it starts to get questioned?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

I honestly despair with some Vale fans... Is it bred into our DNA that we have to seek out negativity???? As I'm typing this, we've have just launched the nicest football strip I can remember, desig

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, philmpv said:
50 minutes ago, Doha said:
We do have a bit of a thing at Vale with ex-players. It hasn't been terribly successful.
However.
I don't know if he's had the foresight to do his badges but in 2/3 years when he decides to stop, keeping Popey around as a coach could add a huge amount of value to the training set up. It's good to have characters at the club, managers sign players all the time thinking they'll just be good to have in the dressing room. I don't think you could find another forward in England with superior heading accuracy, he could be a huge asset for the foundation and the academy.
With the highway robbery that EPPP sanctions, keeping it 'local' like that may be the only way. As PV1973 even staff get poached too.  

I knew it wouldn't be long before somebody advocated for Pope to be offered a coaching role, such is the seeming reluctance to say goodbye to players at this Club. What qualifies him for a coaching role? His ability to scream at and completely undermine the young players that he plays alongside? His professionalism on all things social media?

I'm not saying that every ex-pro would automatically make a great coach, but I'm certain that hundreds of professional games, hundreds of goals and a career as one of the best target men in the lower leagues would stand him in good stead. If my lad was a striker and at Vales academy I would love the chance to coached by a player like him whos actually done it. Believe it or not, having ex pros on the books as coaches is a good selling point for academies when you're trying to convince kids to sign. Because straight away you can see that these players have done something and made a career for themselves.

Edited by PV1973

5 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

I'm not saying that every ex-pro would automatically make a great coach, but I'm certain that hundreds of professional games, hundreds of goals and a career as one of the best target men in the lower leagues would stand him in good stead. If my lad was a striker and at Vales academy I would love the chance to coached by a player like him whos actually done it. Believe it or not, having ex pros on the books as coaches is a good selling point for academies when you're trying to convince kids to sign. Because straight away you can see that these players have done something and made a career for themselves.

Exactly.

Phil has been on a weird anti Pope campaign for quite a while.

https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/search/?&q=pope&author=philmpv&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

• Like 3

Ah, the usual accusation of 'Pope bashing' when somebody dares question his value to the team/ability/professionalism. I have my opinions as do you. I'm not 'anti-Pope'. If he was banging them in, or playing well, I'd be all for him. He wasn't and he hasn't for a good while. JA luckily has recognised this and was the first to look beyond Pope, resulting in us as a team becoming much more aesthetically pleasing as well as finishing on the verge of the playoffs.

Exactly.
Phil has been on a weird anti Pope campaign for quite a while.
https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/forum/search/?&q=pope&author=philmpv&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

17 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Ah, the usual accusation of 'Pope bashing' when somebody dares question his value to the team/ability/professionalism. I have my opinions as do you. I'm not 'anti-Pope'. If he was banging them in, or playing well, I'd be all for him. He wasn't and he hasn't for a good while. JA luckily has recognised this and was the first to look beyond Pope, resulting in us as a team becoming much more aesthetically pleasing as well as finishing on the verge of the playoffs.

Other than derailing a thread for an obvious agenda, it all has nothing to do with the discussion of ex players as coaches. 

Edited by PV1973

Advert:

Other than derailing a thread for an obvious agenda, it all has nothing to do with the discussion of ex players as coaches. 
Who was the one who mentioned Pope in a coaching role first? It wasn't me! What's my 'agenda' out of interest? Daring to have an opinion that doesn't conform?

Hi folks, 

Just a reminder this is about transfer rumours and I don't want it to divert off topic into a "who should be our coaches?" thread. If you want to discuss that, please set up a new thread.

Thanks!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
28 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Or transfer rumours.

True, it kind of evolved from trialists to developing our own players to our academy.

Advert:

4 minutes ago, robf said:

Hi folks, 

Just a reminder this is about transfer rumours and I don't want it to divert off topic into a "who should be our coaches?" thread. If you want to discuss that, please set up a new thread.

Thanks!

theres already one-more coaches than sammy turners¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬

3 minutes ago, vinney72 said:

Any legs in this, no pun intended? Screenshot_20200813_193212_com.twitter.android.jpeg

Mates with Legge from Cambridge, despite him being ex-Macc he's never played for Askey. Might just be a mates thing, might not.

Of a good age and looked decent against us last year. Would question where he'd play tbh.

• Like 1

Advert:

3 minutes ago, dishydave said:

We may need another midfielder Manny is injured again

Where've you heard this?

If true, it's absolutely gutting for him.

Edited by Joe B

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Mates with Legge from Cambridge, despite him being ex-Macc he's never played for Askey. Might just be a mates thing, might not.

Of a good age and looked decent against us last year. Would question where he'd play tbh.

Doubt it as we have a lot in midfield.  Campbell took a lot of young misfits and made them look decent players at Macclesfield.  He's one but there were others I'm surprised haven't got a club. Theo Archibald was rumoured to be off to league one and he's still not fixed up. Vassell did well for them and then the Southend deal to follow Campbell fell through. Archibald is a nice footballer we might be interested in I guess. 

I wonder if we could make a move for Will Mannion as the backup GK?

22 year old GK recently released from Hull. When they were in the Premier League, Hull paid £100,000 for him from Wimbledon when he was 18.

He's spent the last two seasons on loan with Kidderminster and Aldershot, where he made a total of 33 appearances. He's also been capped twice by England U-19.

I'd like someone young with this kind of pedigree to learn and eventually take over from Brown.

• Like 1