Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

Personally, I think Maynard's best days are well behind him. I don't think we'd be getting value for the wages he would demand. If we are going to go for a big name at this level and pay big wages for an experienced striker. Brett Pittman would be my first choice.

• Like 2

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

I honestly despair with some Vale fans... Is it bred into our DNA that we have to seek out negativity???? As I'm typing this, we've have just launched the nicest football strip I can remember, desig

Posted Images

Personally, I think Maynard's best days are well behind him. I don't think we'd be getting value for the wages he would demand. If we are going to go for a big name at this level and pay big wages for an experienced striker. Brett Pittman would be my first choice.
21 goals 18/19. 14 league goals last season. Still something in him. With feeding from Amoo et el who knows. I feel he would be a amazing addition.

I don't think Maynard would suit our system. More of a poacher than someone who gets involved in the build up, runs channels, holds it up etc.

He's obviously proven at L2 level but I never think it's as simple as "he's scored x amount of goals for that club so he'll score x amount with us".

Systems make or break strikers.

• Like 2

I don't think Maynard would suit our system. More of a poacher than someone who gets involved in the build up, runs channels, holds it up etc.

He's obviously proven at L2 level but I never think it's as simple as "he's scored x amount of goals for that club so he'll score x amount with us".

Maybe I think John Askey knows better than us. So if it is Maynard or someone else he will find someone to suit our system.

I always find it amazing how people have an in depth knowledge of every player who is even mentioned
  • Like 1

IF its Maynard, and that's a big IF that would be an incredible signing for me.

Speaking to people who have watched him over the years, they say that he is capable of leading the line and his hold up play is better than the typical 'poacher' cliche... A bit like Cullen I would say.

To get out of a division you need a goal scorer

22 in 41 for Bury and 12 in 25 for Mansfield (Who were rubbish last year) indicate he is a 1 in 2 striker...  If you watch his highlight reels the difference is that he takes the half chances. Any opportunity and he is testing the keeper.

If Askey can make a few tweaks to his favoured 433 formation to accommodate he would be a huge signing and a statement of intent.

• Like 1

I always find it amazing how people have an in depth knowledge of every player who is even mentioned
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

I always find it amazing how people have an in depth knowledge of every player who is even mentioned emoji23.png

To be fair I think we've all seen Maynard play a lot of times over the years.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

I always find it amazing how people have an in depth knowledge of every player who is even mentioned emoji23.png

I agree, but in this case Maynard has been around for ages and was obviously with Crewe at the start of his career. He's certainly one of the better-known players in League 2.

Talking of him being around for ages, he turns 34 in December - didn't realise he was quite that old.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacob_123 said:

How could you have not have seen Maynard before? If you go to watch Vale you'll have seen him a few times for Crewe/Bury/Mansfield/MK Dons over the years!

And, I have a part-time role alongside my current job where I work in football and have to watch a LOT of games - so I consider myself to have a fairly decent knowledge of most lower league players.

13 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Does that mean it is him????

Surely the wages themselves would be out of our league? 

Normally I would agree with that, but in the current climate, and with him nearing the end of his career, he’s probably realised that he will have to take a pay cut wherever he goes.

i think he started at Crwho, so if he’s fairly local, what he loses in wages, he’ll save in travelling costs.

Maynard is a class act, even at the age of 34. Surely he’d only come if he was given the number one strikers position, which means Rodney would be fourth and either Pope or Cullen for second. I see Cullen is injured again and would a Maynard and Pope partnership work. I’d imagine that he is one of the top wage earners in L2 and he currently has a contract at Mansfield, which will be lucrative how they’ve thrown money about in previous seasons and also this one. He was part of a team at Bury who were on huge contracts hence the demise of the club. I personally thought he’d join the exodus of Bury players last year who went to Plymouth. The question that I have to ask is if he moved now, would he not be wage capped, which could mean a huge drop in his salary and a  transfer fee.

Maynard is a class act, even at the age of 34. Surely he’d only come if he was given the number one strikers position, which means Rodney would be fourth and either Pope or Cullen for second. I see Cullen is injured again and would a Maynard and Pope partnership work. I’d imagine that he is one of the top wage earners in L2 and he currently has a contract at Mansfield, which will be lucrative how they’ve thrown money about in previous seasons and also this one. He was part of a team at Bury who were on huge contracts hence the demise of the club. I personally thought he’d join the exodus of Bury players last year who went to Plymouth. The question that I have to ask is if he moved now, would he not be wage capped, which could mean a huge drop in his salary and a  transfer fee.

Not contracted at Mansfield. Currently a free agent.