onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

1 hour ago, Brian Johnson said:

Do you know what? I usually agree with everything that you put on OVF. You are one of my favourite posters but what you have put here is a little bit of bunkum in my book.

We are just the same at gamesmanship like any other team in fact, we were probably the best at it in League Two last year and everyone was lording it on here it last season.

Once the opposition do it, people are up in arms, yet when we do it we celebrate it.

My actual first experience / memory  of timewasting, <ovf censored> housing or whatever you want call it was the Germans and in particular, Jurgen Klinnsman at the 1990 World Cup.

Going down like they have been shot and then turning into a Tom Daley gold medalist.

Its not just been happening over the past few years, its been happening for over 30 years.

Agree there. I sometimes think that was one of the reasons we signed Covolan. He seemed to be an expert.

Rules have to change to stop it. Yes all clubs do it, us included.

Bring back the 6 second rule for goalkeepers for a start. It is a disgrace to see how keepers behave when ' falling' on the ball. Watch on t.v. with the clock ticking. Keepers keep hold of the ball for up to 20 seconds, he did yesterday for Burton. Goalkicks can waste up to 30 seconds when it suits. Its disgusting and must stop for next season.

• Like 2

Advert

2 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

Do you know what? I usually agree with everything that you put on OVF. You are one of my favourite posters but what you have put here is a little bit of bunkum in my book.

We are just the same at gamesmanship like any other team in fact, we were probably the best at it in League Two last year and everyone was lording it on here it last season.

Once the opposition do it, people are up in arms, yet when we do it we celebrate it.

My actual first experience / memory  of timewasting, <ovf censored> housing or whatever you want call it was the Germans and in particular, Jurgen Klinnsman at the 1990 World Cup.

Going down like they have been shot and then turning into a Tom Daley gold medalist.

Its not just been happening over the past few years, its been happening for over 30 years.

Get what you’re saying mate. On the pod I also call out that we do it and we have to, otherwise we’re at a disadvantage so when you listen you’ll hear I aren’t slating opponents, I’m slating football and the spectacle that we all go to watch. I think something needs change or people will stop going as it’s not entertaining anymore. And it’s not cheap to just watch a bloke timewaste, roll around the floor when no one has touched him, walk away with the ball cus he’s given a free kick away, smash the ball into the crowd when his team has gone 1-0 up, football has a massive problem and for me it needs sorting before we lose the beautiful game completely. And from what I understand talks have already started with the lawmakers of the game 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, DannyBezza said:

Get what you’re saying mate. On the pod I also call out that we do it and we have to, otherwise we’re at a disadvantage so when you listen you’ll hear I aren’t slating opponents, I’m slating football and the spectacle that we all go to watch. I think something needs change or people will stop going as it’s not entertaining anymore. And it’s not cheap to just watch a bloke timewaste, roll around the floor when no one has touched him, walk away with the ball cus he’s given a free kick away, smash the ball into the crowd when his team has gone 1-0 up, football has a massive problem and for me it needs sorting before we lose the beautiful game completely. And from what I understand talks have already started with the lawmakers of the game 

I listened to your podcast this morning. You were a 100% right with your comments in regards to our opponents and also calling out Vale on it too. Everyone is at it but you would not think so with various comments on here

• Like 1

Just now, Brian Johnson said:

I listened to your podcast this morning. You were a 100% right with your comments in regards to our opponents and also calling out Vale on it too. Everyone is at it but you would not think so with various comments on here

It really is ruining football the amount of it now. I honestly think my favourite games of the season were derby away when the ref booked our players for it and cut it out early, and Ipswich at home which we lost, but was a great game of footy with both sides trying win it the right way 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

I actually agree with everything you've put here. I think we probably agree with each other because my points weren't  actually about Vale v Burton in isolation, although I know I used specific incidents from yesterday as examples. I certainly don't think we're innocent, it's a general reference to English football, the game we grew up watching 30 years ago. I actually thought after I posted, when did this all start, and I thought about the foreign players that often dived with horrendous histrionics. The first name that popped into my head was Klinsmann as it happens. With the success of the prem brought an influx of foreign players who dived around, were idolised by youngsters of the time who are now the players we watch, modelling themselves on their favourite players from their youth. 

I was obsessed with football back in the 90s so would watch Italian football on a Sunday on Channel 4. Absolute bore fest most weeks. Diving, tippy tappy, 0 - 0 or 1 - 0 most weeks. Not for me.

Edited by Family Stand Terrier
  • Like 2

In regards to the keeper timewasting or timewasting in general. I don't understand why there isn't a referee signal to count down how many seconds someone has to kick the ball.

For example, the goalkeeper is supposed to only have 6 seconds or 12 seconds or whatever, make a signal for it.

In basketball, you have 5 seconds to pass the ball in once the ref has passed you the ball, and the ref counts 5 seconds with an arm signal, not sure why a similar thing can't be implemented in football, 

image.png.d1dcd142c184a4adcb572a297c497e0e.png

• Like 1

Some lads in front of us yesterday started to count out loud 1, 2, 3 etc, trying to get everyone around to do the same, every time their keeper had the ball .  Might not be a bad idea for the crowd to start counting if only to shame the ‘keeper or the officials into getting rid of the ball within the 6 seconds or whatever it is.  The crowd being the audio clock will certainly get heard on the TV and audio streams and might be better than just booing/jeering?

• Like 2

In regards to the keeper timewasting or timewasting in general. I don't understand why there isn't a referee signal to count down how many seconds someone has to kick the ball.

For example, the goalkeeper is supposed to only have 6 seconds or 12 seconds or whatever, make a signal for it.
In basketball, you have 5 seconds to pass the ball in once the ref has passed you the ball, and the ref counts 5 seconds with an arm signal, not sure why a similar thing can't be implemented in football, 
image.png.d1dcd142c184a4adcb572a297c497e0e.png
I'm not to a a few seconds over the alloted 6, after all, throw ins are taken feet away from where they should be and the keepers come out of the area when kicking, dont want to be too pedantic, but Burtons keeper held onto the ball while lying on the floor for more than 6 seconds and then took at least another 15 - 20 seconds to clear, that should have been penalised.

I also noticed neither team had much respect for the Ref arguing with him Conlon being subbed was one.

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vale Ball said:

I'm not to a a few seconds over the alloted 6, after all, throw ins are taken feet away from where they should be and the keepers come out of the area when kicking, dont want to be too pedantic, but Burtons keeper held onto the ball while lying on the floor for more than 6 seconds and then took at least another 15 - 20 seconds to clear, that should have been penalised.

I also noticed neither team had much respect for the Ref arguing with him Conlon being subbed was one.

Sent from my SM-A217F using onevalefan mobile app

I don't want to be pedantic at all, but in basketball there is refs signals and a big clock counting down how long players have to do certain things and guess how many times players gain an advantage by wasting time? The answer is zero because it is impossible.

@DannyBezza you are so right about time wasting, it’s getting beyond a joke now and is probably the biggest thing that ruins a game of football for me. We really need referees to get a grip of it. Keepers diving on the floor for no reason other than to time waste is the one that winds me up the most. 

I also think the pitch was the biggest issue for Forresters injury too. If the pitch doesn’t give way then his body doesn’t react in the way it does. I know Jonny had  had a beer but I felt he was very harsh to be criticising players for being broken in the way he did. Equally I feel the criticism of Conlon, who I agree isn’t having a great season, is now getting over the top too. Clearly he’s frustrated and wants to put it right and if he did react in the way he did at the game (moaning about fans boos when he goes backwards) I wouldn’t blame him. Let’s be realistic most of us fans are clueless as to what they’re told to do on the pitch and we as a fan base I feel are awful for booing or own  players when they don’t just launch it forward or cross it, and instead go backwards, sideways  or misplace a pass. 

Speaking of which Andys comment on the Burton pod was pure gold, “I stayed til the end to boo every player off”. Priceless 😀

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Trumpingtonvale said:

Some lads in front of us yesterday started to count out loud 1, 2, 3 etc, trying to get everyone around to do the same, every time their keeper had the ball .  Might not be a bad idea for the crowd to start counting if only to shame the ‘keeper or the officials into getting rid of the ball within the 6 seconds or whatever it is.  The crowd being the audio clock will certainly get heard on the TV and audio streams and might be better than just booing/jeering?

Did you do it for the Vale keeper too?

2 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Nice and balanced then

⚖️The lower numbers of away fans  potentially shouting will be more than made up for  by the better acoustics of the Hamil (for what remains of this season at least) 😜.  

For next season  let’s call it home advantage - we may well need all we can get! 

• Like 1