onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nominate your worst Port Vale wingers...

robf

As wingers often switched flanks etc, I'm not going to distinguish between left and right but just ask for the worst flank players...

Some names to think about from me...

• Paul Edwards (my number one choice)
  • Shane Tudor (my second choice)
  • Chris Mbamba
  • Rogier Koordes
  • Gezim Shalaj (perhaps unfair as barely played but was mentioned on other threads)
  • Peter Griffiths
  • Richard Eyre

Compiling that list has now made me a little ill...

Advert

We've had a lot of "nothing" players in these positions

Robs named most of those I can recall.  

It's amazing how you forget bad players only to wince when someone mentions their name years later.  Richard Eyre! Dear God!

Tudor and Edward's stand out as shockers because they actually came with a bit of promise, albeit tudors reputation mainly stemmed from a game at vale park!

I'd be tempted to add Tony Rougier here.  Gareth Ainsworths replacement and, for me, that's kind of where it all started going down hill for the vale as a championship club.  That's the first time I can remember a key player not being replaced well by Sir John.

If I was going to add a name it would be him.

Surely the top of every supporters list is that weak little coward Sam Kelly. Truly awful player who strangely could produce a cracker from nowhere. Heart of a mouse.

I also had Koordes in my head but seeing as we were Championship then i think he misses out on the honour.

Rougier was one of my favourite players from that time. He was a fantastic talent and used to stand out for me in a poor team. I remember playing Forest away and one of the Forest fans picked him out as our best player. I'm not having him on any short list. Blimey, he was class at times. Wasn't he?

Bruno's two signings and Edwards. Job done.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Rougier was one of my favourite players from that time. He was a fantastic talent and used to stand out for me in a poor team. I remember playing Forest away and one of the Forest fans picked him out as our best player. I'm not having him on any short list. Blimey, he was class at times. Wasn't he?

Bruno's two signings and Edwards. Job done.

It's probably just me Sage in all fairness.  I was gutted when Ainsworth left and we ended up going down a season and half later I think?

I think it's the fact I was only about 15 at the time and we started going downhill as a team after that. Which, of course, wasn't Tony's fault.

I feel bad for that one now!

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

I just remember being really excited about the prospect of getting Glenn Little in.

That was doing the rounds at the time and he was a cracking player.  Wouldve been a great signing

He was on the Undr the Cosh podcast and confirmed the vale put in a bid of £1m.

His manager at the time said if the vale have sold Ainsworth for £2m then you will be worth £4m.

Ultimately he decided against it as he thought we wouldn’t be a long standing championship team.

1 hour ago, eh up nah said:

We've had a lot of "nothing" players in these positions

Robs named most of those I can recall.  

It's amazing how you forget bad players only to wince when someone mentions their name years later.  Richard Eyre! Dear God!

Tudor and Edward's stand out as shockers because they actually came with a bit of promise, albeit tudors reputation mainly stemmed from a game at vale park!

I'd be tempted to add Tony Rougier here.  Gareth Ainsworths replacement and, for me, that's kind of where it all started going down hill for the vale as a championship club.  That's the first time I can remember a key player not being replaced well by Sir John.

If I was going to add a name it would be him.

Rougier was sold on by John Rudge at a profit of £150K, that hardly qualifies as a poor signing. He scored 8 goals in just over a season.  Whilst he was not great, he is a very very very long way away from being one of our worse ever wingers.

8 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

He was on the Undr the Cosh podcast and confirmed the vale put in a bid of £1m.

His manager at the time said if the vale have sold Ainsworth for £2m then you will be worth £4m.

Ultimately he decided against it as he thought we wouldn’t be a long standing championship team.

Yes, listened to that myself.

It worked out for him in the end as he played in the premiership in the end.

Cracking player.

And that podcast was a right good laugh.  Playing under stan Ternant wouldve been different.

4 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

Rougier was sold on by John Rudge at a profit of £150K, that hardly qualifies as a poor signing. He scored 8 goals in just over a season.  Whilst he was not great, he is a very very very long way away from being one of our worse ever wingers.

Yes, definitely. 

It was wrong to put him there 

2 minutes ago, Essex Vale said:

I remember his tearing us apart in a pre season game for Hibs at Newcastle towns Lyme Valley stadium.

The hibs fans in attendance had clearly had a few looseners before the game and were in great spirits! 

I was quite excited when he signed!

Archived