Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

Last minute decided go the match .

First half loved it so much energy and excellence about the Vale with Amoo outstanding and Vale generally deserving of more than the one goal that got .

Fans behind them and looking like another three points with Legge dominant at the back .

Then the  second half where we ran out of energy (not surprising really )and the fans obviously were not reacting to the performance as we didn’t really flow at all and it caused a quiet uneasiness within the stadium .

The first equaliser if you look at it from there perspective was a excellent goal but from ours what were Legge and Gibbons doing and who in the midfield allowed the lad who's initial run on to our back four as it was downright poor .

Then we edged back in front with a deflected goal off Smith and your thinking come on now see the game out ,yes we haven’t flowed but a messy wins a win all the same .

Then disaster a nothing ball in Scott Brown is rooted to his line and Legge is beaten in the air for the first time in the game ,goal and a point it is .

So all in all a very disappointing second half showing again I felt we just didn’t pass it well enough Gibbons passing was shocking but he wasn’t the only one .

Amoo gets man of the match for me I do not think we have him a decent ball all second half but first half when we did he was excellent.

Joyce battled hard too so those two impressed me greatly .

Cullen was very good for about a hr but faded but once again the quality of ball forwards to him was not good enough .

The support need to up there ante ,second half going quiet didn’t help although our performance was no where near to the level of the first half .

• Like 2

Agree with most of what’s been said good first half but poor second don’t like to criticise Askey but we needed to change things earlier in the second half as most fans could see it was only a matter of time before they would score  on another subject does anyone know why the the away fans were shoved in the far corner of the hamil end it does nothing for the atmosphere 

11 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Did we score again? No. That's how good a job Walsall did on him. Same again today, although it can be said that Smudge scored because the Scunny defence were all watching Pope.

That really is stretching it a bit Heatwave.Just the one player was taking care of Pope ,at the back post.Slightly better than the P and G caller who said we scored because Pope was standing behind Smith.Another lovely Spring morning again today.Can you let her know.Time 8.48 am.Cheers.

4 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

Last minute decided go the match .

First half loved it so much energy and excellence about the Vale with Amoo outstanding and Vale generally deserving of more than the one goal that got .

Fans behind them and looking like another three points with Legge dominant at the back .

Then the  second half where we ran out of energy (not surprising really )and the fans obviously were not reacting to the performance as we didn’t really flow at all and it caused a quiet uneasiness within the stadium .

The first equaliser if you look at it from there perspective was a excellent goal but from ours what were Legge and Gibbons doing and who in the midfield allowed the lad who's initial run on to our back four as it was downright poor .

Then we edged back in front with a deflected goal off Smith and your thinking come on now see the game out ,yes we haven’t flowed but a messy wins a win all the same .

Then disaster a nothing ball in Scott Brown is rooted to his line and Legge is beaten in the air for the first time in the game ,goal and a point it is .

So all in all a very disappointing second half showing again I felt we just didn’t pass it well enough Gibbons passing was shocking but he wasn’t the only one .

Amoo gets man of the match for me I do not think we have him a decent ball all second half but first half when we did he was excellent.

Joyce battled hard too so those two impressed me greatly .

Cullen was very good for about a hr but faded but once again the quality of ball forwards to him was not good enough .

The support need to up there ante ,second half going quiet didn’t help although our performance was no where near to the level of the first half .

Cullen was injured.

Very disappointed not to see that game out. Another 2 points thrown away. How many times does it need to happen before we learn from our mistakes. 

They where getting on top and we where clearing the ball long and Cullen had no chance against Butler in the air so it kept coming back. Our energy was draining in midfield and I think again we are too slow with the change. Pope should have been on for Cullen a lit earlier in my opinion.

Having said that I thought we didn't do enough in the 1st half to press home our advantage with the wind and a 1 goal lead was never going to be good enough in them sort of conditions. We are just not ruthless enough. It was similar to last week where we are not positive enough and go for the jugular when we have the advantage. We just seem content to take the lead. This attitude needs to change if we are too sustain our place in the play offs. 

I don't know why we have changed, maybe its because we are in the play offs now but I didn't see this mentality in wins against FGR and Colchester.

Having slept on it and let the usual anger subside at losing 2 valuable points as late as that again i felt we played alright in stages and so did they. They were certainly no mugs and has been pointed out before they have come down from a division above, spent a few bob and have some good players. an old Boss of mine once said...."There's no such thing as Nirvana so don't bother looking for it"......he was right and I think too many of us want that 100% perfection every game.....Colchester at home was close. I enjoy watching us play every week and that is the first time I can say that for a few seasons. We will be in the mix at the end of the season unless the wheels fall off altogether and we are just going to have ride these ups and downs.

As soon as that cross went in for their equaliser I thought..."Oh <ovf censored> that's dangerous" and when Browny made that split second, poor, decision to stay we were doomed. i would like to see him dominate his 6 yard box a bit more......anything coming into there should be his in some form, a catch, a punch but he must be coming and clearing everyone out of the way. I think he's a great keeper, especially at this level, but he made a mistake, end of.

The joys of being a Vale fan....especially an exiled one.

On the Vale.......

• Like 5

Just a personal observation about the Sponsors' man of the match.   Seriously?  I assume they had a glass too many with their lunches. Smudger was head and shoulders all match above any other player. I realise this is down to personal views but come on, Joyce was caught out several times and frankly his turning circle is larger than Tom Popes! Time and again when the ball is lost in midfield Vale, and in particular Joyce, have not got the capacity of pace and we get ripped down the middle.

Smithy is developing into a fabulous defensive player, capable of much higher than with us at present. His distribution and ability now to actually take the ball out of defence and seek players up front is a joy to watch. I am not sure if he's getting coaching behind the scenes but his performances of late are outstanding.

I like Joyce in his holding position but cannot accept he was in good form yesterday. My opinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Just a personal observation about the Sponsors' man of the match.   Seriously?  I assume they had a glass too many with their lunches. Smudger was head and shoulders all match above any other player. I realise this is down to personal views but come on, Joyce was caught out several times and frankly his turning circle is larger than Tom Popes! Time and again when the ball is lost in midfield Vale, and in particular Joyce, have not got the capacity of pace and we get ripped down the middle.

Smithy is developing into a fabulous defensive player, capable of much higher than with us at present. His distribution and ability now to actually take the ball out of defence and seek players up front is a joy to watch. I am not sure if he's getting coaching behind the scenes but his performances of late are outstanding.

I like Joyce in his holding position but cannot accept he was in good form yesterday. My opinion.

I gave Smudger the shout.Giving Wozza a run for his money as Player of the Season.Excellent defender,winger,midfielder and goalscorer.

43 minutes ago, onestepatatime said:

Askey has made reference to improving Smith's distribution and general footballing skills. 

Also that he's a better player than he realises.

Finally, he's finally playing in a reasonably decent team, allowing for more expression.

I'm a great believer 99% of the time that the league table doesn't lie.

However when we have thrown games away I have read that Macc are not a poor side, Walsall are in a false position, Scunny have great players and also are in a false position. 

The reality is that they are where they are in the table for a reason. As a collective over the whole season they have been mediocre yet we have apologists saying ' oh well they have a big budget they are better than it appears ' .

They actually aren't . 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I'm a great believer 99% of the time that the league table doesn't lie.

However when we have thrown games away I have read that Macc are not a poor side, Walsall are in a false position, Scunny have great players and also are in a false position. 

The reality is that they are where they are in the table for a reason. As a collective over the whole season they have been mediocre yet we have apologists saying ' oh well they have a big budget they are better than it appears ' .

They actually aren't . 

Being mid-table doesn't mean you're average every week.

It might mean you are very inconsistent; excellent one week, poor the next.

For example, reading Walsall fans' comments, I know they are plagued by inconsistency and thats why they're mid table; not because they're really average every week and therefore if you draw/lose you must too be really average. Last week was, and I quote, "the best 90 we've played all season".

Nonsensical argument.

FWIW, I thought Smith was below-par from his usual excellent defensive standards yesterday. Good goal, and by no means bad, but lacked the 'brick wall' mentality I had become accustomed to.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

If there’s one consistent frustration from some of our fan base it’s the “you’d have taken this at the start of the year / after the last three years” argument. It smacks of lack of ambition and it seriously does my head in!

I listened to Sproson shut down Blakeman on Radio Joke when he used the ‘you’d have taken this...’ line and I agree wholeheartedly with him. 

The Smurf years have gone, consigned to history. We are where we are, to coin a phrase, so live with the here and nows. We’ve been beating top teams home and away, so we should be expected to beat bottom half Scunny at home, and anything less than that will and should be met with disappointment in my opinion.

I agree and disagree.

The 'look where we've come from' argument can be overly-used to excuse bad things, but by the same token it is very true.

To achieve a turnaround in 12 months on the scale of what Askey has done is, in my view, outstanding. There are going to be flaws in a side that for 2 years was looking like non-league fodder. Its unrealistic to think he'd iron out every issue in 12 months, with a reduced budget, and a fairly turbulent first summer in the job.

Therefore, this side has flaws, leftovers from years of mismanagement; a tendency to concede late, an inability to finish teams off, a failure to put away sides that 'we should be beating'.

This is to be expected, in my view.

If we were 2-3 years into the rebuild, I'd say yes, its unacceptable that we're still suffering with the legacy of mismanagement.

I think, when you take into account the myriad positives Askey has brought to the club (to lengthy to bother listing), its simply bizarrre to forget what was going on 12 months ago, as the ramifications are STILL having an effect in the club.

• Like 1

Also, regarding Sproson; I seriously don't pay his opinions any credence anymore. Considering his obvious vested interest with the club I'm not entirely comfortable with him getting a platform to influence fans views, as he has now.

In my view he's used his gig on RS to push the players under his ownership, and criticise those providing competition for said players.

Taylor hasn't appeared despite being fit for weeks; Crooks has obviously not featured and probably won't bar injuries; Askey had Gabriel on trial and turned him down, and he went to Scunny (and was bad yesterday).

The bloke spent the first half of the season incessantly criticising Gibbons, despite him being one of our best players, which was convenient when we suddenly take a right-back on trial, from Forest, who is a client of Phil Sproson.

The view that 'you can't keep saying look where we've came from' within 10 MONTHS OF BEING COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY ANNIHILATED INTO OBLIVION AND NON-EXISTENCE  is either contrarianism for contranisms' sake, daft naivety as to the scale of the task regarding the arrest of this clubs' decline, or him being critical of a manager because he won't play his players.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

If there’s one consistent frustration from some of our fan base it’s the “you’d have taken this at the start of the year / after the last three years” argument. It smacks of lack of ambition and it seriously does my head in!

I listened to Sproson shut down Blakeman on Radio Joke when he used the ‘you’d have taken this...’ line and I agree wholeheartedly with him. 

The Smurf years have gone, consigned to history. We are where we are, to coin a phrase, so live with the here and nows. We’ve been beating top teams home and away, so we should be expected to beat bottom half Scunny at home, and anything less than that will and should be met with disappointment in my opinion.

To call it a lack of ambition is seriously poor, mate, now I re-read your post.

Smurf years still have an impact on us. We're one year in. There are going to be flaws to this side which can't be rectified and omitted within 10 months.

Its not unambitious to be disappointed with the result, and the manner of it, but also to accept that to be 7th is beyond every fans' expectations, and considering the turmoil we were in, its fair to assume there are going to be drawbacks.

Next season expectations were different, but to label fans with a memory longer than the last 10 games 'unambitious' is not good.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

That seems a bit harsh, Joyce was excellent first half. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Also, regarding Sproson; I seriously don't pay his opinions any credence anymore. Considering his obvious vested interest with the club I'm not entirely comfortable with him getting a platform to influence fans views, as he has now.

In my view he's used his gig on RS to push the players under his ownership, and criticise those providing competition for said players.

Taylor hasn't appeared despite being fit for weeks; Crooks has obviously not featured and probably won't bar injuries; Askey had Gabriel on trial and turned him down, and he went to Scunny (and was bad yesterday).

The bloke spent the first half of the season incessantly criticising Gibbons, despite him being one of our best players, which was convenient when we suddenly take a right-back on trial, from Forest, who is a client of Phil Sproson.

The view that 'you can't keep saying look where we've came from' within 10 MONTHS OF BEING COMPLETELY AND UTTERLY ANNIHILATED INTO OBLIVION AND NON-EXISTENCE  is either contrarianism for contranisms' sake, daft naivety as to the scale of the task regarding the arrest of this clubs' decline, or him being critical of a manager because he won't play his players.

I agree, cba with him. For a bloke who has a statue sharing his name outside the ground he seems a lot more bothered about his pocket than Vale when he's discussing the playing squad.

Bring back Cullerton.

• Like 2

2 points dropped - I said it against Walsall after the 1st 20 minutes the team looked leggy!

We win when we play pressing football for 75/80 mins, we don’t when we sit back and let them play. If Askey watch’s that game again, he’ll see it. Amoo needs a kick up that backside, such a lazy player.

I thought Joyce was excellent yesterday, he was deservedly motm for me.

Manny shouldn’t be anywhere near the team at present - he’s miles off the pace, we may as well play with 10 men, he’s barely been involved in the 2 cameo appearances. I agree with others on here, Jake T is a must before Manny surely!!!????

A play off place is in our hands!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Did we score again? No. That's how good a job Walsall did on him. Same again today, although it can be said that Smudge scored because the Scunny defence were all watching Pope.

It isnt about just scoring though. It’s also about being to hold a ball up, being able to give the defenders something else to deal with, giving us more of a platform to build from and get more of a foothold in the game and if you think that the game last week didn’t turn in our favour when he came on then we must have been watching different games. 

So disappointed at the end of yesterdays game. Before they scored the first a few of we’re saying that Cullen was struggling to hold it up and more importantly we lost energy in midfield with  Conlon looking like he was struggling and Burgess not getting about as much. Sure enough their lad breaks from the right, across and through the entire midfield and has a free run on a back pedalling defence. I can’t help but think we should have changed something way before we did, was it 75 when we made the first change? It might have made a difference it might not but I think we hung on too long when we’d gone a bit stale in the midfield and up front.  

We should have seen it out though, the second goal is terrible from brown and/or Legge, but a hanging ball in the air that’s dropping in to the 6 yard box should IMO have seen either Legge taking charge and heading it or brown coming and punching it. Great keeper for us but I think his weak point is dealing with balls into the area and that second goal highlighted it for me. 

Cant fault the effort of some of the team. Amoo looked a threat when he’s got the confidence to go at the full back, Gibbo linked well with him and tried to play when he could, Smith slotted back in easily, Legge bar the end was solid, Monty was hit and miss as normal at full back and at times I thought was too far forward leaving us a too open on that side, Joyce kept it ticking over well, Conlon and Burgess had good first halves but I think faded early in the second, Worrall gave that young right back a lesson in what it’s like at this level against an experienced player, Cullen had a good first half and deserved the goal but second half really struggled to give us time to get up the pitch by holding it up for us. 

Next week I’d be tempted to play Pope from the off away from home against a cheltenham side who play 3 big centre halves and maybe feb our Clark in for Monty.... which will probably mean that the only change Askey will make is to swap Gibbo for Clark 🤣

It’ll be interesting to see how far off Taylor is. Is he fit enough to start? I was surprised yesterday that he didn’t come on late on for either Conlon or Burgess.