onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Labour leadership

geosname

1 hour ago, tunstallpotter said:

So because she's good mates with Ruth Smeeth it's fine that her heroine is the antisemite Nancy Astor?

Where was Smeeth's outrage, or did she just save that for Corbyn?

Anti semitism was common in the Tory Party so Astor was nothing out of the ordinary.  And if we are going to judge people in the past by the standard of today then there a considerable number of heroes who will fall from grace.

Advert

14 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I think we need to just forget about bloody diversity and give the jobs to the ppl that can do them, this leads a team to success. What a poor world we live in when we have to put ppl in place through minority representation. Hence if the best ppl are from minority groups then give the jobs to these ppl as they are the right ppl for the job. Don’t give in to pressure.

An example of ppl in the wrong positions are Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbotts

How can you forget about diversity when a newly appointed shadow cabinet member has just wrote a book called Tribes:How Our Need To Belong Can Make Or Break Society?

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Isn't it amazing that people will still support someone who shows these qualities... cough cough... you... cough cough... Norman Smurthwaite.... cough cough.

Jeez, I'm coughing so much I might just need a covid-19 test.

No one likes Hypocrisy RB 

🙂

It's a fair point, I know I am biased and I know I have hypocritical views. I try to be conscious of them.

And as I've said many times, I make my mind up on the evidence in front of me, I get some things wrong, I get some things right, I'm early on some things, I'm late to the party on others. Principles are not foolproof, but it's better to have them than not in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

We are starting to see job advertisments now which exclude particular races/genders from applying. The BBC have done it (for non acting roles too).

Metropolitan police amongst others have been doing it for a long time

The UK has the USA to thank for the policies of Affirmative/Positive Action, they first appeared in the JFK administration of the early 1960's.

The situation has become absurd over here in terms of University Entrance particularly into Ivy League Uni's, eg Harvard admits African American & Latino Students with lower SAT scores than White students who get in with lower scores than Asian students. Effectively Asian students, an ethnic minority,  are the most discriminated against when it comes to studying at Harvard,  Asian Students have recently lost a lawsuit against Harvard Uni. on this issue.

David Lammy has recently been trying to orchestrate a similar situation at Oxbridge and it would be of no surprise that he was a recipient of positive discrimination himself from Harvard.

Universities and businesses in the USA are awash with departments implementing policies on Gender Studies, Equal Opportunity, Diversity etc. Problem is the major economic competitors of the west, China, India, Russia etc don't give a fig about Affirmative Action.

9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

The UK has the USA to thank for the policies of Affirmative/Positive Action, they first appeared in the JFK administration of the early 1960's...

Paul, not wishing to get into a bun fight with you, or disputing the appearance of same during the JFK era, but I clearly remember back in 1975 when studying for my Child Care Certificate that Affirmative Action found its genesis from two distinct late 1950s British concepts of "positive discrimination" and "positive action" - later resulting in policies supporting disadvantaged groups.

Why do I remember so clearly?

Our lecturer was born in the Netherlands (I can see her now in my mind's eye), and she was active both on and off campus - socially and political - promoting affirmative action for women and our first nation population.

Was she wrong with her 'dates'? I don't know.

12 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

The UK has the USA to thank for the policies of Affirmative/Positive Action, they first appeared in the JFK administration of the early 1960's.

The situation has become absurd over here in terms of University Entrance particularly into Ivy League Uni's, eg Harvard admits African American & Latino Students with lower SAT scores than White students who get in with lower scores than Asian students. Effectively Asian students, an ethnic minority,  are the most discriminated against when it comes to studying at Harvard,  Asian Students have recently lost a lawsuit against Harvard Uni. on this issue.

David Lammy has recently been trying to orchestrate a similar situation at Oxbridge and it would be of no surprise that he was a recipient of positive discrimination himself from Harvard.

Universities and businesses in the USA are awash with departments implementing policies on Gender Studies, Equal Opportunity, Diversity etc. Problem is the major economic competitors of the west, China, India, Russia etc don't give a fig about Affirmative Action.

Change the metrics slightly and "white privilege" doesn't exist. Asians as a race in America are the most privileged by a lot of metrics, but as you've pointed out they're discriminate against by the top schools.

There have been some studies in this country showing that white working class boys are the worst performers in school within the last 10-15 years. The idea that they are privileged over better performing bame students is disgusting. It's not addressing the issues of why any group is underperforming, clearly skin colour is not the deciding factor. Class is much more of a marker for privilege.

11 hours ago, Aussie Rules said:

Paul, not wishing to get into a bun fight with you, or disputing the appearance of same during the JFK era, but I clearly remember back in 1975 when studying for my Child Care Certificate that Affirmative Action found its genesis from two distinct late 1950s British concepts of "positive discrimination" and "positive action" - later resulting in policies supporting disadvantaged groups.

Why do I remember so clearly?

Our lecturer was born in the Netherlands (I can see her now in my mind's eye), and she was active both on and off campus - socially and political - promoting affirmative action for women and our first nation population.

Was she wrong with her 'dates'? I don't know.

AR, You could well be right. The first time I became aware of the concept of Affirmative Action was during the 70's when flicking through The American Chemical Society Official journal, which carries job adverts in the back.  Every advert for a chemistry  job carried the statement, "Such and such is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer......." or words to that effect whereas the two equivalent British Journals did not carry such wording on their job adverts at that time.

When I left the UK in 2000, the concept of Affirmative Action was much more at the forefront of life in the USA than the UK.

On 08/04/2020 at 04:27, Regal Beagle said:

Change the metrics slightly and "white privilege" doesn't exist. Asians as a race in America are the most privileged by a lot of metrics, but as you've pointed out they're discriminate against by the top schools.

There have been some studies in this country showing that white working class boys are the worst performers in school within the last 10-15 years. The idea that they are privileged over better performing bame students is disgusting. It's not addressing the issues of why any group is underperforming, clearly skin colour is not the deciding factor. Class is much more of a marker for privilege.

In his I have a dream speech Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character". none of us can aspire to anything fairer or better than that.

50 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

In his I have a dream speech Martin Luther King, Jr. said, "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character". none of us can aspire to anything fairer or better than that.

There's genuinely videos of people purporting to speak for the black community online, who say that this quote should not be taken literally. It's actual racism to judge people on the colour of their skin.

So is Starmer postponed on debut? Boris in hospital, recovering I hope, but won't do PM questions for a while. So level to level is it Raab and Raynor. She will be under pressure not to give the ball away round her own box. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived