onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

May on the way??

Jacko51

Who knows which way the Tories will go?

If they've been infiltrated by ex UKippers in the past 18 months (as at Beaconsfield) they might go for a Farage clone but if they've got any sense they'll try and cling more to the centre and chose a more moderate leader.

What is it now though? 9 nominations already. How on earth do you pick one out from so many?

Slowly....... so no GE before October..... which leaves jezza out in the cold.

Advert

The greatest leader this nation ever had was aged 65 when he saved Britain and the western world from the Nazi’s when appointed in 1940 !

I realise that time moves on, but age alone should be no barrier !

I think that was a case of 'Horses for Courses' rather than age RR. Winston would be hopeless in a situation of bringing together the differing political opinions compared to his word alone prevailing in war time.

No, I wasn't insinuating that at all. The vast majority of political commentators are 'one-eyed'; that's presumably why they're employed. Give me Owen over the odious Julia Hartley Brewer or Katy Hopkins any day.

The perfect 3 dinner guests--I think NOT!!!!

The greatest leader this nation ever had was aged 65 when he saved Britain and the western world from the Nazi’s when appointed in 1940 !

I realise that time moves on, but age alone should be no barrier !

Except in the case of Jezza--who has now turned 70 and very definitely should be put out to grass!

Except in the case of Jezza--who has now turned 70 and very definitely should be put out to grass!

Churchill was PM in an age before TV. Remember the furore when Menzies Campbell became Lib Dem leader? 'Go back to your constituencies and prepare for death' was one of the more printable responses.

No, age shouldn't be a barrier but frequently it is.

I've just finished reading Tim Bouverie's new book on Appeasement in the 1930s. The parallels with today's fiascos are quite astonishing. Splits in the Tory party. Splits in the opposition. A PM who believed he was never wrong in spite of the evidence staring him in the face. An inability of the ruling elite to make sensible decisions leading to repeated disasters. Who says history doesn't repeat itself!

A gang of lads in the playground saying I am harder than you pick me (The front runner never wins), whereas Hammond saying if you go no deal we will bring the Govt down. Tricky as Remain have the majority in parliament and grasp the size of the problem.

Hammond is an arrogant intellectual snob who is incapable of leading anyone anywhere. Whoever gets the job should sack Hammond. My preference, Rory Stewart, has totally screwed his chances with his refusal to serve under others. How childish and immature is that? Who might be half decent? Gove maybe, perhaps Javid, Hunt possibly. Boris OMG no. Boris is a professional buffoon. I can only hope a leader emerges from the shadows but the Tories are no different to all the other main parties.

Hammond is an arrogant intellectual snob who is incapable of leading anyone anywhere. Whoever gets the job should sack Hammond. My preference, Rory Stewart, has totally screwed his chances with his refusal to serve under others. How childish and immature is that? Who might be half decent? Gove maybe, perhaps Javid, Hunt possibly. Boris OMG no. Boris is a professional buffoon. I can only hope a leader emerges from the shadows but the Tories are no different to all the other main parties.

Stewart didn't refuse to serve under others, just Boris, whom he said was dishonest. Who knew?!

When the country needed a Prime Minister in 1940 they chose Winston Churchill. Someone who had been warning about the strength of Germany inter war. Someone who realised Hitler couldn't be negotiated with and had to be resisted at all costs. Someone who had extensive ministerial experience.

If you extend the analogy to Brexit, who has been warning longest about its dangers? Who has the experience? Step forward Michael Heseltine.

When the country needed a Prime Minister in 1940 they chose Winston Churchill. Someone who had been warning about the strength of Germany inter war. Someone who realised Hitler couldn't be negotiated with and had to be resisted at all costs. Someone who had extensive ministerial experience.

If you extend the analogy to Brexit, who has been warning longest about its dangers? Who has the experience? Step forward Michael Heseltine.

The first choice for PM in 1940 was not Churchill. Chamberlain didn't want him. The King didn't want him and the only reason he became PM was because Lord Halifax didn't want the job despite being urged to take it.

Archived