onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

World Cup 2018

Advert

My Thoughts for what they are worth.

1. We did better than I expected

2. Having said that we had an easier route through to the semi-finals than England teams in previous competitions.

3. Whilst our stock rose teams like Germany, Spain and non qualifying teams like Italy and Holland fell.

4. Apart from Belgium B team beating our B team Croatia were the first decent team we faced.

5. We could have buried Croatia in the first half. Having not done so it was the Croatian experience that came through.

6. Our team will improve with experience.

7. It will be a long time before an England team gets a better chance to make the Finals.

2. Having said that we had an easier route through to the semi-finals than England teams in previous competitions.

In 1990 we only won one of our group games and that was a struggle to beat Egypt 1-0. Our performances in the group were turgid at best and we managed 2 goals in 3 games. We beat Belgium - who were not the force they are now - in the 120th minute of the last 16 then beat Cameroon after extra time couresty of two penalties, one of which was very generous. Yet that 1990 side is supposedly better than the current mob.

1. We did better than I expected

3. Whilst our stock rose teams like Germany, Spain and non qualifying teams like Italy and Holland fell.

4. Apart from Belgium B team beating our B team Croatia were the first decent team we faced.

5. We could have buried Croatia in the first half. Having not done so it was the Croatian experience that came through.

6. Our team will improve with experience.

7. It will be a long time before an England team gets a better chance to make the Finals.

All 7 are spot on.

In 1990 we only won one of our group games and that was a struggle to beat Egypt 1-0. Our performances in the group were turgid at best and we managed 2 goals in 3 games. We beat Belgium - who were not the force they are now - in the 120th minute of the last 16 then beat Cameroon after extra time couresty of two penalties, one of which was very generous. Yet that 1990 side is supposedly better than the current mob.

You fail to mention that we also had Holland and Ireland as opposed to Tunisia and Panama. Even with the current teams the Dutch and Irish are far superior opposition to Panama and Tunisia.

You fail to mention that we also had Holland and Ireland as opposed to Tunisia and Panama. Even with the current teams the Dutch and Irish are far superior opposition to Panama and Tunisia.

The current Dutch side didn't qualify because of Sweden who England beat. The Irish aren't even in the current world top 30. Tunisia are.

And interesting view of the 1990 competition here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/football-england-at-the-world-cup-1990-italy-englands-gritty-struggle-ends-in-tears-1163203.html

If the French play the maginot line defence Barry it shouldn't take much to circumvent....

Sorry... I'll get my coat

Interesting thought Geo.

Perhaps if the Germans had adopted a similar strategy with their Siegfried variety, they may still be in the competition.

But no doubt if they had, the opposition would only have hung washing on it.

I think my coat is next to yours.

I don't understand this 3rd place thingy in a knock out competition.... unless you win the final you lose surely... no one gives a rats who came second so why would they with 3rd... who came 8th?

It's an Olympic Games thing.

Bronze medals an all that,I think it's the only thing that the Croation team as won and that was when Bilic was in charge.

We outplayed the Dutch, had 2 goals disallowed. John Barnes had a perfectly good goal disallowed for offside vs Belgium, replays showed it was at least 5 yards on side. Cameroon topped their group ahead of Argentina and Romania, they were a very physical side. England had the best player in the tournament in Gascoigne, IMHO we had an easier route through in 2018, we had a much better team in 1990.

I suppose Jacko the point I was making is that in future competitions we will probably expect to play at least a couple of big guns to make a Final like Germany, Spain Brazil etc... It could be argued that these teams are in decline so no problems. Personally I would prefer another route like we have just had rather than having to beat 2 or 3 of the traditional big guns. Having over performed in my opinion this England team may look back at this competition as one where all the Ducks lined up and we missed an opportunity that might not repeat itself. Fortunately I am old enough to have watched the 1966 World cup on the TV, thereafter 52 + years of hurt and still counting.

The current Dutch side didn't qualify because of Sweden who England beat. The Irish aren't even in the current world top 30. Tunisia are.

And interesting view of the 1990 competition here:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/football-england-at-the-world-cup-1990-italy-englands-gritty-struggle-ends-in-tears-1163203.html

I suppose its then and now Jacko. Play the 1990 teams of the Irish and Dutch or play the 2018 teams of Tunisia and Panama .They say you shouldn't compare teams of different eras and maybe time does plays tricks on the memory but those 1990 teams everytime for me.

Archived