onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Current Squad

Tomo

Do we have a youth team keeper? If we do and he was behind Slinn in the pecking order, then we do need to get someone else in too.

We have two first team keepers and a young keeper. If we get injuries we use the loan system. We have much bigger priorities.

Advert

We have two first team keepers and a young keeper. If we get injuries we use the loan system. We have much bigger priorities.

I agree, but old habits die hard.

We've only signed one keeper, compared to the vast throngs of last season.

I think Aspin, Rudge and backroom team have done a good job so far. But I thought Brown was doing OK this time last season when he appeared to be attracting players who had experience and played at a higher level. Many of those transpired to be injured, recovering from injury, injury prone, in last years in the game, not committed sufficiently, talent didn't flourish etc.

This time I am more hopeful. This risks accepted are ability to step up from National League to League 2 and younger players taking their chance. Commitment, age and particularly injury risks have been mitigated.The odds of success look much better.

In squad numbers we seem to have the right number of players. If the ones we want to leave do so, then loan players come in. If the leavers don't leave then they need to step up. I can seen Tyrone Barnett as a good League 2 player if he can get fit and injury free.

I agree, but old habits die hard.

We've only signed one keeper, compared to the vast throngs of last season.

The main reason we were nearly relegated last season was the keeping farce. I think that cost us 15-20 points. Obvious mistakes, like Boot dropping the ball at Crewe, and less obviously, not making saves a better keeper would make.

Plus if he put a bit of effort in

I’m a bit betwix & between with the new signings. I can’t honestly say that I know a lot about Brown, but at least his stat’s say he he a competent ‘keeper.

We’ve signed experience with Legge & Joyce, but we did that with Kaye & Tonge.

Then we have “chancer” non league players, whereas last year we had “chancer” players from league teams back up squad.

I feel that this close season standard of signings so far is better than 12 months ago, but I still don’t see enough for more than a mid table finish, albeit after last years tribulations that would be an improvement.

As always, time will tell.

The main reason we were nearly relegated last season was the keeping farce. I think that cost us 15-20 points. Obvious mistakes, like Boot dropping the ball at Crewe, and less obviously, not making saves a better keeper would make.

That's pretty true, although I would add a lack of goals was of equal concern. I actually started to feel better about the goalkeeper position when Hornby had a run at the end of the season because although he's inexperienced he looks competent and like he should have a solid pro career.

Who are these keepers you speak of? We’ve got Brown and Hornby, Lainton is going hopefully. We got rid of Slinn so we could do with a youngster in I think

Who are these keepers you speak of? We’ve got Brown and Hornby, Lainton is going hopefully. We got rid of Slinn so we could do with a youngster in I think

Three first team keepers and whoever the youth keeper is. We don’t need more of them. We have a first team starter and someone who can sit on the bench. Why do we want to waste money on another who either won’t get in the squad or will just sit on the bench. If there are injuries we can get an emergency loan, but we have all said a smaller higher quality squad is needed. Four keeper would just be a waste and go back to the insanity of the last few years.

I forgot about Lainton when I made my post so was thinking we only had Hornby and Brown. No youth team keeper as we'd got rid of Slinn and I don't think the second string youth team keeper should be anywhere near the main squad. If Lainton stays then, no, I wouldn't bother with another keeper but if he goes we definitely need another. All teams have at least 3, even Accy Stan had 4 in their squad last season.

That's pretty true, although I would add a lack of goals was of equal concern. I actually started to feel better about the goalkeeper position when Hornby had a run at the end of the season because although he's inexperienced he looks competent and like he should have a solid pro career.

Yes I agree with that.

Three first team keepers and whoever the youth keeper is. We don’t need more of them. We have a first team starter and someone who can sit on the bench. Why do we want to waste money on another who either won’t get in the squad or will just sit on the bench. If there are injuries we can get an emergency loan, but we have all said a smaller higher quality squad is needed. Four keeper would just be a waste and go back to the insanity of the last few years.

Sorry, I think you’re missing my point. Lainton is going (let’s hope), which means we only have 2 keepers. Can’t go into a season with only 2, a youth keeper is needed alongside them. If Brown got injured or suspended, Hornby would replace him and we’d have no one on the bench. No club is going to loan us a keeper to sit on the bench. They loan players so they can play!!

Barnett was a foolish signing, in that his playing style is very similar to Pope's. They both like balls in the air, like to hold the ball up etc.

With Pope our main man, Barnett was never going to be a regular starter. I genuinely think there's a bit of talent in there (biggest leap I've seen from a Vale player), just an all-round poor season, the undroppable nature of Pope, and early season injuries deprived him of a run.

Will not be sorry to see him go but the party line of "he dunna work hard enuf!" doesn't really sit with me. He didn't bust a gut but I remember him being criticised for Crewe's equaliser away as he didn't close down a man Whitfield was already closing down, us then conceding as Gibbons was somehow left 1 v 3. Somehow that was Barnett's fault. He was fairly lazy but his failures in a Vale shirt had many other contributing factors.

Are we? 18 players, four untried in the league and 2 goalkeepers.

Aren't goalkeepers important? strange comment that. In the last 18 months we have really struggled in that department and have lost numerous points. Would have not gone down the season before if we had got a decent keeper when Alnwick left and this season too would have had several more points if Brown had signed a decent keeper.

Archived