onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurthwaite: Railway bar coming this summer but Lorne St work on hold…

News Feed

Do you think it'll be inside or outside the ground? Not quite sure if he wants it for the supporters inside the ground or the public outside the ground. Not enough information just verbiage by the sounds of it.

If It's inside it can only really be used on match days. Who would want to go to a pub at the backend of football ground any other time. If it's outside who will the pub/bar be aimed at in the back end of Burslem?

One side will be where the current tea bar is at the end of the Railway paddock, the majority of the building will be in the car park adjacent to the club shop. Thus public access available, I would expect internal access on match days direct to the paddock.

Advert

First thing that came to mind was this will be owned by a separate business not part of the sale. Even when he's gone he'll be taking a cut.

Don't tell certain posters.

They 'can't see the problem' and this is typical ungrounded Norman bashing.

Club's is literally on life support and the only concrete proposal from the chairman is a pub, on land not owned by the club. Meanwhile, Aspo went through January with a reduced budget and need to win on Friday to retain our FL status.

"Can't see the problem tbh".

One side will be where the current tea bar is at the end of the Railway paddock, the majority of the building will be in the car park adjacent to the club shop. Thus public access available, I would expect internal access on match days direct to the paddock.

Have you seen the plans?

Don't tell certain posters.

They 'can't see the problem' and this is typical ungrounded Norman bashing.

Club's is literally on life support and the only concrete proposal from the chairman is a pub, on land not owned by the club. Meanwhile, Aspo went through January with a reduced budget and need to win on Friday to retain our FL status.

"Can't see the problem tbh".

Hagrid,there are plenty of people who admire how well Walsall do year on year.What Doha and yourself are acertaining to is the same.Slight difference,Bonser charges 10k per week rent towards his pension fund and wants 12million for the club, the amount he says he’s put in.No argument just giving an example.

Don't you have to pay a fee to the local authority when you submit plans? I think the fee depends on the size of the project??
Where I work we've submitted 3 in the past 6 months. 3 x 20k projects, £195 each. All were visible on the planning portal for the public to view and comment on. That was Newcastle Borough, don't know how it works for Stoke.

I would have thought it would be ideal to use the empty room in the Lorne street stand to have a supporters club bar and entertainment facilty

I suggested this a while back,Ben.I think it may mean away fans moving somewhere else.Bycars?

Your the one who needs get a grip. Think your always right. Go do your protest mate.

A pub may actually make us a bit of money, but never mind. It's Norms idea so it's a load of ********. Maybe he thinks it could help the fact that we're losing 140k a month? Having the same coloured seats dosent do that and basically means f all. It's not that expensive it improves the facilities which we've been in dire need for for ages. I don't see a downside....

If Norman truly cared about the club, had been totally truthful from day one and not made so many xxxx ups mate, then yes it might be a good idea. There is one problem though, this is Smurf we are talking about, who comes out with so much crap he's got through 18 xxxxxxx shovels having to dig himself out of more bloody holes with more crap, that no one believes a word he comes out with anymore.

Please read again RZ.

I saw you said "useable" I just was unsure what demograph of customer would visit a deserted football ground to drink beer on non match days. I guess some of the 30 men plus the dog might visit on reserve game days but that would hardly pack the place unless it was very small which would reduce takings when it was packed on match day. Wetherspoons strugle to make much out of some of their pubs and they have the economies of scale of a large business and better catchment areas.

It's a stupid ridiculous idea that the bar would be used at any time other than the 30-odd home games a season. I find it hard enough to bypass some of Burslem's pubs when there's a match on, let alone when all that's waiting for me is some new build on the edge of a car park. Doesn't mean that I don't think it's an ok idea but to suggest it would be used throughout the year is laughable.

I saw you said "useable" I just was unsure what demograph of customer would visit a deserted football ground to drink beer on non match days. I guess some of the 30 men plus the dog might visit on reserve game days but that would hardly pack the place unless it was very small which would reduce takings when it was packed on match day. Wetherspoons strugle to make much out of some of their pubs and they have the economies of scale of a large business and better catchment areas.

I think one of the things we are probably looking at is the match day experience being poor for fans in the paddock and with this being the 'main home' of the support and more fans in there than the rest put together its certainly something to look at. The issues we see for busy games highlight the basic thought process of the average fan in that most fans rock up 5mins before kick off as they are purely coming to watch the game and go again.

What happens at other clubs with better facilities is fans go into the bar prior to the game at the stadium well in advance of the game and have a casual drink as a group. Delilahs bar at Stoke is the prime example, you pay a token £5 or whatever for the year and you can come and go from there are you please, every match it rammed (half because its out of town as a location and half because its more civilised than standing on the concourse or cold holding a plastic bottle. Large numbers of fans will make a day of a game by heading to the pub for lunch time on a saturday catching up with friends, who would currently want to do that stood outside in the railway paddock? Theres also the issue of people on the drink having a skinful before coming to the game as its not that enjoyable to drink in the stand and casually drink. Potentially it would mean too that peoples drinking can be observed and trouble nipped in the bud by security if people are getting paralytic in the bar rather than the local pub and then coming straight in.

I tend to go into the suite for a drink and arrive 30-60mins pre game but was i having to go to the paddock and stand out side id do exactly the same and rock up 5mins before and have my drink elsewhere. In terms of the facilities for fans in the stand id imagine it will mean two sides the bar and food outlets so that they can serve people not paying to go into the game and also fans who have paid for entry from the same venue??

Hagrid,there are plenty of people who admire how well Walsall do year on year.What Doha and yourself are acertaining to is the same.Slight difference,Bonser charges 10k per week rent towards his pension fund and wants 12million for the club, the amount he says he’s put in.No argument just giving an example.

Walsall make a profit. We lose £160,000 a month.

personally i think thats a bit naive to not see the positive implications for the supporter experience. Cold Tuesday nights would be far more appealing when the opportunity to warm up in the bar is thrown into the mix. Theres also the thought process around the ground being split from the club what is planning to do to attract more business to his ground?

Archived