onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale fans fascination with a market

Mattholl

Again last night at the meeting people are banging on about a market at PVFC. When will fans really let this go? Markets are dead, people dont shop like that anymore, theres no money in it at all. Fenton market has about 7 stalls,Longtons stopped an outdoor market, newcastle-under-lymes is not much better other than the collectors/antiques market, theres B&M, home bargains and Asda in Burslem plus corner shops so theres no need for a market at the Vale at all.

these are the types of things that waste time and focus for the club, at some point Chris Turner is going to be researching the old vale market so he can talk about it at the next meeting he attends. what a waste of time.

Advert

I can just imagine the kind of mutants who attend these meetings raising issues like cold pies and cash turnstiles. The club management must come away wondering why they bother entertaining those kind of questions.

More pressing would be

a) What are we doing to fill some of those 15,000 empty seats?

b) What are we doing to pronote seaon ticket sales?

c) Why is there so much unused advertising space around the pitch?

d) what is the forward plan for the club? Is there one?

....and that's why I don't bother going to these things.

Again last night at the meeting people are banging on about a market at PVFC. When will fans really let this go? Markets are dead, people dont shop like that anymore, theres no money in it at all. Fenton market has about 7 stalls,Longtons stopped an outdoor market, newcastle-under-lymes is not much better other than the collectors/antiques market, theres B&M, home bargains and Asda in Burslem plus corner shops so theres no need for a market at the Vale at all.

these are the types of things that waste time and focus for the club, at some point Chris Turner is going to be researching the old vale market so he can talk about it at the next meeting he attends. what a waste of time.

Been to Penkridge lately??????????????.

I can just imagine the kind of mutants who attend these meetings raising issues like cold pies and cash turnstiles. The club management must come away wondering why they bother entertaining those kind of questions.

More pressing would be

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

I actually agree with every word of that Matt. The other issue was the flags. Don't get me wrong they need improving and don't look great at present, but for me that's a quick win that needs about a minute of Turners time. The market is out of our hands and the world has moved on.

Instead he should be focusing on fully utilising the facilities we have for matchday and non matchday revenue. Both of which he discussed last night, which I was pleased to see. His mention of a reception area and first impressions was good.

Smurf's directors loan has gone towards ongoing expenses such as wages etc, which demonstrate that he had no intentions of sticking around long term. If he had, he'd have done a lot better investing in capital projects such as finishing off the RW suite, and even from an impression point of view, finishing the Lorne street (yes I know we don't need the seats before anyone says as much), but the impression an incomplete stadium gives surely isn't a positive one to potential investors.

Anything that could lead to increased income over a longer term is surely better than the approach he's taken so far. His spending to date reflects how he viewed us from the moment he arrived. Short term return. Unfortunately there are too many variables involved in football outside of your control, plus, he refused to accept expert advice. The whole approach he's taken has been poorly thought through, too risky, and ultimately has turned into an uneducated failed gamble, that he wants others to pay for.

He needs to go and hand over control of the club to someone who has a longer term vision, a vested interest in our long term prosperity, and isn't in it for short term gains. Whoever it is, they need to value the fans. The last two custodians haven't done so, far from it, and the consequences are clear for all to see.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Completely agree mate but don't expect much support on here, you have been cast as a Smurfette in the long running soap opera that is Port Vale. Therefore the Vale market is the best thing ever and the only reason we aren't now in the Champions League.
Very constructive.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

We had a thriving market where I live in Swadlincote about 20 years ago, they even made a purpose built indoor market which was full of stalls. It is now a car park for the district council staff and we have about 10 stalls dotted down the High Street. The only ones that seems to do much business are the fruit & veg stall and the meat van. Not really the way forward these days I agree.

More pressing would be

Something to look forward to https://www.port-vale.co.uk/news/2018/february/autoglass-dinner/

More pressing would be

Couldn't you turn up and ask those questions?

Couldn't you turn up and ask those questions?

I'd love to.....but I get the impression the questions are screened beforehand. I've yet to hear of a question of any significance being asked.

It also irks me how these meetings are announced barely 48 hours before they take place, so it's too late for me to travel.

I'd love to.....but I get the impression the questions are screened beforehand. I've yet to hear of a question of any significance being asked.

It also irks me how these meetings are announced barely 48 hours before they take place, so it's too late for me to travel.

Last night's meeting saw no screening of questions at all. That simply never happens. Chris Turner, for example, was asked for his comments on the fact that his previous club Chesterfield, despite being a similar size to Vale, had double the turnover and a much greater wage bill. He actually said in so many words, that Vale do not make best use of their resources. In particular, he talked about how the Robbie Williams Suite was a huge waste just standing their unfinished when it could be a huge revenue raiser.

The discussion about the market which seems to have upset Matt, took about 5 minutes of the meeting.

And the meetings are never announced 2 days beforehand. The date of the next meeting is decided a month in advance and is posted on social media. For your info, the next one is on 22nd March at the Valiant Stuite and Norman will be there. Put it in your diary now!

Archived