onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

5 hours ago, Heatwave said:

And why not? Don't quote 'democratic decision' yet again as we all know that opinion has changed since 2016 - all the recent opinion polls say so. The only ones that still want Brexit are the dyed in the wool Leavers and the extreme right wing. 

On second thoughts they're one and the same.

Keep thinking stuff like this. It's why brexiteers are so far ahead of you. 

It makes me chuckle to think of politicians beating their gums bloody about the desperate loss of time to debate such a crucial issue as brexit.

Did they propose to give up the summer recess?

Have they proposed to give up the party season?..... sorry conference.

It's slightly amusing that after three and a half years...... 1,200+ days..... of inaction and smoke the few days lost is of such importance.

The demonstrators aren't much better.

Did they fill the streets with protests demanding parliament forego the holidays to deal with the crisis?

We're they chanting and raging about wasting time on conferences?

Did they set up petitions to sign multiple times demanding either of the above?

It seems a few Labour MPs were asking for a new session of parliament.... who knew.

Has Boris the "Gaff er" pulled a fast one?...a sneaky one?.... a card from the bottom of the deck?...... quite probably..... isn't that what politics and politicians have become.... snake oil salesmen and women offering smoke and mirrors in exchange for votes and power?

Recess House rises House returns
Summer 20 July 2017 5 September 2017
Conference 14 September 2017 9 October 2017
November 7 November 2017 13 November 2017

Previous

Recess

House rises

House returns

Summer 20 July 2017 5 September 2017
Conference 14 September 2017 9 October 2017
Christmas 21 December 2017 8 January 2018
February 8 February 2018 20 February 2018
Easter 29 March 2018 16 April 2018
May 3 May 2018 8 May 2018
Whitsun 24 May 2018 4 June 2018
Summer 24 July 2018 4 September 2018
Conference 13 September 2018 9 October 2018
November 6 November 2018 12 November 2018
Christmas 20 December 2018 7 January 2019
Easter 11 April 2019 23 April 2019
May 2 May 2019 7 May 2019
Whitsun 23 May 2019

4 June 2019

Does that constitute a precedent? 

21 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Where did I say it was.  Just like Geo, too eager to find an argument that you fail to understand the post at all.

So thinks I have learnt from this thread in just a couple of days...

Regal Beagle is a wind up merchant, Geo and Howjy04 are simply trying to create argument for the sake of it.

Sensible debate has no place here it seems which is a shame because some posters on both sides have great arguments to make, just not you 3.  Its noticeable that some of the better leave voters no longer contribute, I wonder if that's because they feel there position is undermined by the sheer dullard nature of a few others bludgeoning there view across like a Brit abroad shouting at the bar?

Let's all just pretend that suspending parliment for this length of time for the first time since 1945 is just a normal thing to do and has no agenda whatsoever because admitting anything else means you have to be completely hypocritical about defending democracy.

As I pointed out,if Remain had won there is serious doubt whether any view of people who wanted to leave would have made page 3 of this thread or the same page of the Sentinel.I’ll tell you why ,NOTHING WOULD HAVE CHANGED SO THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN NO NEED TO COMPROMISE..Get the drift now?

39 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

All this huff and puff but no questions answered.

Regal Beagle - so you are counting weekends on the 2014 one but not on this one.  Including weekends this one is 35 days long...  you have been talking about 25 days so assumed you realised weekends dont count.  You are a liar who makes up things to suit yourself, a complete <ovf censored>.  I wont waste my time responding to you anymore

Geo, you keep talking about summer and conference recesses.  I asked you to tell me how exactly they go about cancelling them, as far as I can see you have not done that even though you continue to refer to nobody proposing it...  When could they have proposed it?  They had ONE day after BJ seized power, the party then denied they would do this, he then did it last week and they have just 4 days next week.  There was no need to propose it until last week, can you tell me if it's possible to overturn the queens arrangement and could it be done in 4 days?  Because the suspension isn't just the 5 days everyone keeps talking about it also covers the recess presumably to stop such a move?  Do you know this or not or will you keep banging the drum without knowing?

So it's your assumption that is the problem? If you think I've made up the dates on the official Parliament website I suggest you take it up with them, nothing to do with me.

It's probably best if you stop responding to me, it doesn't look like you can be trusted to keep control of yourself. Resorting to insults and abuse for the second time in a few days.

It's a shame really.

And "seized" power. Lol. Exactly who is making stuff up again?

22 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

I have asked several questions, pointed out the FACT Farage said on the night of the vote leave would carry on fighting (when he thought he had lost), pointed out the FACT that leave promised us a deal, they always dismissed no deal.  I know that the paper had in or out on it, but that's just another example of the puerile nature of many protagonists on this thread.  I have pointed out the FACT that postponing summer recess was not necessary and that they probably cant postpone conference recess as it's now covered by the suspension.

You are seriously calling people peurile yet you cannot help but abuse insult and swear at people? (FACT)

Remainers have not cared about democracy in the last 3 years FACT

They only care now because it suits them in their quest to over turn democracy FACT

Oh and, the 2017 tory manifesto stated that they will approach negotiations with the mindset that no deal is better than a bad deal. FACT. Is that not a political mandate for no deal? Or are you seriously claiming that quotes from non-Government and non-parliamant figures should be taken more seriously than the only winning GE manifesto we've had since the referendum?

Add in the fact that the Government itself pre-referendum told us what Brexit would look like. Add in the fact that the (supposed) truth tellers the remainers told us what Brexit would look like. Add in the fact that leaving with no deal in October doesn't mean we permanently have no deal. We can still negotiate for as long as the EU want after this.

We voted to leave FACT. We must leave.

48 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

All this huff and puff but no questions answered.

Regal Beagle - so you are counting weekends on the 2014 one but not on this one.  Including weekends this one is 35 days long...  you have been talking about 25 days so assumed you realised weekends dont count.  You are a liar who makes up things to suit yourself, a complete <ovf censored>.  I wont waste my time responding to you anymore

Geo, you keep talking about summer and conference recesses.  I asked you to tell me how exactly they go about cancelling them, as far as I can see you have not done that even though you continue to refer to nobody proposing it...  When could they have proposed it?  They had ONE day after BJ seized power, the party then denied they would do this, he then did it last week and they have just 4 days next week.  There was no need to propose it until last week, can you tell me if it's possible to overturn the queens arrangement and could it be done in 4 days?  Because the suspension isn't just the 5 days everyone keeps talking about it also covers the recess presumably to stop such a move?  Do you know this or not or will you keep banging the drum without knowing?

I thought this was a crisis?...... it didn't start when Boris took over it started over 3 years ago...... it was postponed in March when people were wringing their hands about a no deal..... the no deal crisis isn't new.

They could have proposed it when may was captain of the sinking ship..... because Boris took over and renamed it titanic didn't make the crisis worse..... no deal has been raging years.

It would have been sensible to propose it in March when a new final date was set..... no one did..... April? May? June? July? August? Even September?....... let's not stop until no deal is off the table for good.

It's been suggested other things could be proposed...... vote of no confidence (more than once)  why not a work through the recess/conference breaks..... Easter breaks..... whit breaks etc etc

It's such a crisis that threatens the country that nobody proposed working through the holidays?

8 hours ago, geosname said:

Searched 468 to 473...... I couldn't see it Jean 

Sorry, geo.  It was page 490 not 470!  Here it is.

On 30/08/2019 at 18:57, Jacko51 said:

Compromise is a word that has left our vocabulary.  The fact that over 48% of those who voted wanted to remain in the EU suggests that some form of compromise might be a decent plan.  And I don't mean staying in the EU, I mean leaving in the way we were promised in the referendum campaign - with a deal.

This is an interesting view of what we should be doing.

"There were more than 16 million who wanted to remain. They are our neighbours, brothers and sisters who did what they passionately believe was right. In a democracy majorities may decide but everyone is of equal value.  We who are part of this narrow majority must do everything we can to reassure the Remainers. We must reach out, we must heal, we must build bridges – because it is clear that some have feelings of dismay, and of loss, and confusion."

The article goes on to say

"I cannot stress too much that Britain is part of Europe, and always will be. There will still be intense and intensifying European cooperation and partnership in a huge number of fields: the arts, the sciences, the universities, and on improving the environment. EU citizens living in this country will have their rights fully protected, and the same goes for British citizens living in the EU. 

British people will still be able to go and work in the EU; to live; to travel; to study; to buy homes and to settle down. As the German equivalent of the CBI – the BDI – has very sensibly reminded us, there will continue to be free trade, and access to the single market. Britain is and always will be a great European power, offering top-table opinions and giving leadership on everything from foreign policy to defence to counter-terrorism and intelligence-sharing – all the things we need to do together to make our world safer."

Anything wrong with that because it sounds sensible to me.

4 hours ago, geosname said:
Recess House rises House returns
Summer 20 July 2017 5 September 2017
Conference 14 September 2017 9 October 2017

Previous

Recess

House rises

House returns

Summer 20 July 2017 5 September 2017
Conference 14 September 2017 9 October 2017
Christmas 21 December 2017 8 January 2018
February 8 February 2018 20 February 2018
Easter 29 March 2018 16 April 2018
May 3 May 2018 8 May 2018
Whitsun 24 May 2018 4 June 2018
Summer 24 July 2018 4 September 2018
Conference 13 September 2018 9 October 2018
November 6 November 2018 12 November 2018
Christmas 20 December 2018 7 January 2019
Easter 11 April 2019 23 April 2019
May 2 May 2019 7 May 2019
Whitsun 23 May 2019

4 June 2019

Does that constitute a precedent? 

Like I said earlier it's all phoney outrage by a bunch of hypocrites.

Just suppose this is a cunning plan by Bojo and Co to concentrate the minds of the EU because they will see no deal is inevitable if they don't do something.  Just suppose the EU bends a bit and we actually end up with a deal.  What do you think will be the reaction of FUA, RB and Howjy:

a) They will applaud Boris for being a genius;

b) They will say they never wanted No Deal anyway despite banging on about it being the best thing since sliced bread,

c) They will spontaneously combust?

Archived