onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

Peddling lies and fake news about closing down the Commons continues I see.

It is not usual. It is not what always happens. It is a deliberate attempt to close down debate and stifle the opposition to No Deal.

Since 1980 the break has more usually been less than a week. For much of the past 40 years.

Deliberately blurring the lines between prorogation, recess and conference is an attempt to make it sound normal when it clearly isn't. Can we please distinguish between these three things?

The last time we had anything like this break was post WW2 under Atlee. It normally happens before an election, not to limit debating time.

It very rarely occurs unless MPs go along with it. 

It was Tory and DUP MPs (only) who voted for recess but that was of course prior to Johnson's announcement or it would not have got through. 

Just to put the record straight.

5 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Peddling lies and fake news about closing down the Commons continues I see.

It is not usual. It is not what always happens. It is a deliberate attempt to close down debate and stifle the opposition to No Deal.

Since 1980 the break has more usually been less than a week. For much of the past 40 years.

Deliberately blurring the lines between prorogation, recess and conference is an attempt to make it sound normal when it clearly isn't. Can we please distinguish between these three things?

The last time we had anything like this break was post WW2 under Atlee. It normally happens before an election, not to limit debating time.

It very rarely occurs unless MPs go along with it. 

It was Tory and DUP MPs (only) who voted for recess but that was of course prior to Johnson's announcement or it would not have got through. 

Just to put the record straight.

Nor was it put to a full privy council, just Moggs 3. The Queen could have asked for that. She is safe enough but for the future what is their purpose if the PM holds the royal prerogative?

On 17/08/2019 at 11:24, TheSage said:

The EU has given you, me and everyone else in the UK, RB, unrivalled economic prosperity and growth, and peace and mutual understanding for the last 50 years. If you like facts, there are two there for you to ponder. Don't take that for granted. If it's so awful why are 450 million people happy to stay in it? Why do Norway and three other countries pay mega bucks to access it? Why do the rest of the world think we're stark, raving mad, Trump and Putin apart? 

Blimey, the other day, there was a bloke on tv saying that he still wanted to leave because he wanted the £350 million a week for the NHS. Complete pack of lies but he still thinks it's true. Another fella said he voted out to keep the 3-pin plug! Someone else on the radio said he didn't like all these EU rules but when asked could not name a single one that we hadn't voted for. Another didn't realise that we can largely control immigration but don't choose to do so.The misunderstanding is staggering. 

The path were are heading down is so stupid that it beggars belief. Airlifting medical supplies? Forking out millions to compensate farmers? Spending on extra officials at the coast to try and cut down delays? It's an utter disgrace. All these billions spent that could have gone on hospitals, schools and the police we are throwing about like confetti to try and mitigate the results of a this brain-dead act of self harm. If it's such a good idea why are we spending billions trying to lessen the impact?

Sage,the main problem is that when we first voted to join the EU in 1975 we signed up to join a football club.

Unfortunately,the EU has turned it into a hockey club?

The majority don't want to play that game.

5 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Sage,the main problem is that when we first voted to join the EU in 1975 we signed up to join a football club.

Unfortunately,the EU has turned it into a hockey club?

The majority don't want to play that game.

But when they asked us to play with sticks we said no, we don't want to join those bits. 

10 hours ago, geosname said:

It makes me chuckle to think of politicians beating their gums bloody about the desperate loss of time to debate such a crucial issue as brexit.

Did they propose to give up the summer recess?

Have they proposed to give up the party season?..... sorry conference.

It's slightly amusing that after three and a half years...... 1,200+ days..... of inaction and smoke the few days lost is of such importance.

The demonstrators aren't much better.

Did they fill the streets with protests demanding parliament forego the holidays to deal with the crisis?

We're they chanting and raging about wasting time on conferences?

Did they set up petitions to sign multiple times demanding either of the above?

It seems a few Labour MPs were asking for a new session of parliament.... who knew.

Has Boris the "Gaff er" pulled a fast one?...a sneaky one?.... a card from the bottom of the deck?...... quite probably..... isn't that what politics and politicians have become.... snake oil salesmen and women offering smoke and mirrors in exchange for votes and power?

He's outmanouvered them and they are furious.

Hugh Grant and Terry Christian are leading the way with Remainer leftie nastiness judging by their latest disgusting comments?

4 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Just suppose this is a cunning plan by Bojo and Co to concentrate the minds of the EU because they will see no deal is inevitable if they don't do something.  Just suppose the EU bends a bit and we actually end up with a deal.  What do you think will be the reaction of FUA, RB and Howjy:

a) They will applaud Boris for being a genius;

b) They will say they never wanted No Deal anyway despite banging on about it being the best thing since sliced bread,

c) They will spontaneously combust?

Like I have been saying for over 3 years now...a sensible and mutually beneficial deal is my preferred option as long as brexit is clean. I don't even mind paying the "divorce" bill as long as the deal is good enough.

That means we must not be part of any institution of the EU (anything over which the EU is sovereign) and we must not be tied to anything permanently.

We must be free to determine our own border/immigration policy.

Existing EU citizens who are already living here must be allowed to stay as long as they want, vice versa any UK citizens in the EU already.

Do I think this is possible given how the EU have treated us? No. I believe we're on a knife edge currently between a rehash of May's atrocious deal minus the backstop and no deal. Of the two, No deal is quite clearly the best option.

I actually posted last week amid all the fake hysteria that I believe the prorogation has been done with a view to putting pressure on the EU to concede on the backstop and therefore it makes a deal more likely. Whether that turns out to be a good deal I don't know.

Final point from me...point B is very hypocritical seen as you and your comrades have done exactly that on multiple brexit points in the last 3 years.

Unless this is a suggestion again that none of us had mentioned no deal 3 years ago (which is not true and I posted the evidence the other day).

More interesting will be the reaction of the amazingly tolerant and reasonable remainers who have harped on about their beloved compromise. Will YOU be happy with a deal?

I very much doubt it.

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Surely not, Jacko, surely not.

Did you not know that we voted to leave to rid ourselves of un-elected bureaucrats? 

Corect sage, maybe we should think about actually implement the result of the vote so that we can take back control?

Or are you actually saying that you prefer un-elected EU bureaucrats to un-elected UK bureaucrats?

4 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

The sitting PMs should have proposed cancelling all recesses until the situation was resolved.  However, the situation has now escalated since BJ took over as he is actively talking about no deal which he thinks will sharpen the minds of the EU.  It might, but it's also sharpened the knives at Weatminster.

I also think some need to get there heads around the fact immigration will continue.

Why should they? Boris is resolving the situation. Why would he want to give parliament more time to betray the people when he already has a political mandate and the legal and constitutional authority to do what he has done?

Here go Brexiters, we're about to be told how racist we are because we all definitely want immigration to be zero. Again. Despite none us ever saying or implying it.

Archived