onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-45707290

Another significant issue that must have been in the forefront of people's minds as they considered whether to vote leave or remain.

Never mind, if we decimate employment in the nuclear industry it'll be offset by stopping EU countries fishing around the UK to protect a low margin industry that employs a workforce a fraction of the size of the high value nuclear industry.

We'll 'take back control' of a third rate economy. Great.

Age just makes you an easier target of blame for the young.

Really not the case. In the instance of Brexit it's just a common fact more older people voted to leave. Basing it largely on imperialism, immigration and the fact they believe things like we don't sovereignty. That's just politics though. Id much rather sit in the pub and drink a pint with an older bloke/lady, than someone young. I used to drink in Middleport with the old fellas, brilliant times of my life. A fella called Fred who was about 95 when I drank with him and had served in the war, an RAF man. (Anyone know if he's still about, would love to see him again). Learned loads about life. All I'm afforded in life comes from older people but let's be honest this thread being a good example older generations are showing how backwards thinking they have become on this particular subject. Your supposed to grow wiser as you grow older but that's a hypothesis we can assume is false on a general level because leaving the EU as we are, in this manner, is a totally unwise thing to do.

You're correct about UK universities having always had paying overseas students, the point I was making was regarding our huge expansion of that an operating it more like a commercial business and the reasons why that is.

As for the identity politics you mention there has always been strong liberal / left leaning influences in universities for as long as I can remember but that doesn't really reflect in wider society as many students become less radical and idealistic once they start in their careers, I think a lot of it is the identity and idealism of youth. However, some of the stuff that goes on is laughable such as today's news that Manchester University Students Union are requiring people attending meetings not to clap or cheer so as not to scare people with anxiety issues!!

That's the best I've heard for a good while,banning clapping and cheering.It's snowflakery of the highest order.How will these people manage to get on in life?

It's no good them attending the Etihad then?

Really not the case. In the instance of Brexit it's just a common fact more older people voted to leave. Basing it largely on imperialism, immigration and the fact they believe things like we don't sovereignty. That's just politics though. Id much rather sit in the pub and drink a pint with an older bloke/lady, than someone young. I used to drink in Middleport with the old fellas, brilliant times of my life. A fella called Fred who was about 95 when I drank with him and had served in the war, an RAF man. (Anyone know if he's still about, would love to see him again). Learned loads about life. All I'm afforded in life comes from older people but let's be honest this thread being a good example older generations are showing how backwards thinking they have become on this particular subject. Your supposed to grow wiser as you grow older but that's a hypothesis we can assume is not false on a general level because leaving the EU as we are, in this manner, is a totally unwise thing to do.

It's a theory based on a poll... it may or may not be correct.

Wisdom does not come with age, it's a consequence of experience often overridden by instinct.

One old fart in Spain, at the moment, prefers to stay in and reform the EU but will respect the decision of the people... even if I think it's the wrong decision, for the wrong reasons.

Experience has taught me that when there are obsticals to doing what you want to do you either accept them, go around them or move them.... I tend to lean towards the latter two choices, whichever hinders my progress the least.... sometimes there is no choice but to accept but that just means heading in a different direction.

It's a theory based on a poll... it may or may not be correct.

Wisdom does not come with age, it's a consequence of experience often overridden by instinct.

One old fart in Spain, at the moment, prefers to stay in and reform the EU but will respect the decision of the people... even if I think it's the wrong decision, for the wrong reasons.

Experience has taught me that when there are obsticals to doing what you want to do you either accept them, go around them or move them.... I tend to lean towards the latter two choices, whichever hinders my progress the least.... sometimes there is no choice but to accept but that just means heading in a different direction.

Fair enough mate. I know you probably have, but don't take offence about what I'm saying about the old'ens. Take Brexit away and I genuinely stand by saying this, that older British people are the soundest people you could meet and in my experience older generations of foriegn countries (as sound as they are too) don't come close to British pensioners 😂 I know foriegn people who hate most young British people but love the older generations here.

Age brings experience often and inadvertently brings wisdom, so the theory went at school anyway. I know it not to be true now, as you say.

I've accepted Brexit mate, in reality I'm not even all THAT bothered because I will be alright from it. In one way, with me wanting to move eventually it's probably done me a favour. I could probably make a decent amount of money from it moving forward. But what I've struggled to accept is people's reasoning behind it. If people had come out and said more things that are true and why the EU is not a good thing, rather than falsification of reality - then fair enough. Undeniably though this is the biggest decision of my generation (and many others) so it's naturally a topic of interest to me. Don't confuse my desire to talk and debate something as me not accepting the vote that people voted for. I just can't accept when people talk total b*****ks on the subject and regurgitat blatant lies. If no one challenges those views, imagine what the place would be like!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-uk-leaves-the-eu-45707290

Another significant issue that must have been in the forefront of people's minds as they considered whether to vote leave or remain.

Never mind, if we decimate employment in the nuclear industry it'll be offset by stopping EU countries fishing around the UK to protect a low margin industry that employs a workforce a fraction of the size of the high value nuclear industry.

We'll 'take back control' of a third rate economy. Great.

The thing is SOTT, that sadly Brexit voters have reached the point where signs like this - which are serious concerns - will just be ignored as they begun to care about nothing else than leaving the EU - no matter what the consequence / damage may be. They have decided that we ALL must suffer the consequences and none are even really that sure why! Oh yeah, so we can get blue passports, stop EU immigration and there must be a massive long list of new laws that will be introduced seeing as they're so sure we're going to become Sovereign (again?) 😂

That's the best I've heard for a good while,banning clapping and cheering.It's snowflakery of the highest order.How will these people manage to get on in life?

It's no good them attending the Etihad then?

Trust me, having being not all that long ago, it's scarey how some of them get changed in the morning without their carers.

Universities are not left leaning as Paul says. You can like this or lump it but my very recent experience was at a low-ranking university initially where it was very left leaning and liberal with loads of foriegn students. My post grad was at a much higher ranking uni and it was like the Conservative party base camp full of little Jacob Rees-mogg's, proper right wingers and they would never mix with foriegn students like at my first uni. Less foriegn students there but at post grad level our course had loads of foriegn people especially Chinese.

Id been told it's still all class structured and it was proven to me when I went there. They all came from down south, spoke like Peter Coates and hated poor people. Ended up having plenty of arguments and a lot of fun 😂

Fair enough mate. I know you probably have, but don't take offence about what I'm saying about the old'ens. Take Brexit away and I genuinely stand by saying this, that older British people are the soundest people you could meet and in my experience older generations of foriegn countries (as sound as they are too) don't come close to British pensioners 😂 I know foriegn people who hate most young British people but love the older generations here.

Age brings experience often and inadvertently brings wisdom, so the theory went at school anyway. I know it not to be true now, as you say.

I've accepted Brexit mate, in reality I'm not even all THAT bothered because I will be alright from it. In one way, with me wanting to move eventually it's probably done me a favour. I could probably make a decent amount of money from it moving forward. But what I've struggled to accept is people's reasoning behind it. If people had come out and said more things that are true and why the EU is not a good thing, rather than falsification of reality - then fair enough. Undeniably though this is the biggest decision of my generation (and many others) so it's naturally a topic of interest to me. Don't confuse my desire to talk and debate something as me not accepting the vote that people voted for. I just can't accept when people talk total b*****ks on the subject and regurgitat blatant lies. If no one challenges those views, imagine what the place would be like!

People are strange mate.... people who vote are even stranger.

Politicians lie..... but people vote for them based mainly on which lies the most convincingly or because it's what they have always done... it's madness.

Brexit is a bad decision, for the wrong reasons and at the wrong time... try to change it first, if impossible then get out.... after you have done the ground work for getting out.

Treat today as your last and tomorrow as your first and enjoy the time inbetween....

Trust me, having being not all that long ago, it's scarey how some of them get changed in the morning without their carers.

Universities are not left leaning as Paul says. You can like this or lump it but my very recent experience was at a low-ranking university initially where it was very left leaning and liberal with loads of foriegn students. My post grad was at a much higher ranking uni and it was like the Conservative party base camp full of little Jacob Rees-mogg's, proper right wingers and they would never mix with foriegn students like at my first uni. Less foriegn students there but at post grad level our course had loads of foriegn people especially Chinese.

Id been told it's still all class structured and it was proven to me when I went there. They all came from down south, spoke like Peter Coates and hated poor people. Ended up having plenty of arguments and a lot of fun 😂

Peter Coates is a massive Labour supporter.He doesn’t contribute now because of Corbyn.

Archived