onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Thanks, Boston also has the highest % of EU Migrants outside London.
I saw an interesting documentary about Boston just after the referendum. Loads of people there were moaning about EU migrants coming to work in local agriculture but, even though they were unemployed, lots of local people said they didn't want to do that work. I don't know how much bias there was in the documentary and the cynic in me made me think they wanted to make the obvious point of if they won't pick the cabbages then migrant workers are inevitable & how are they 'stealing' local jobs. However, maybe that is the case? Either way, post Brexit migration will continue or the locals will have to be forced to do those jobs or lose their benefits, ie, what they voted for.

Advert

I saw an interesting documentary about Boston just after the referendum. Loads of people there were moaning about EU migrants coming to work in local agriculture but, even though they were unemployed, lots of local people said they didn't want to do that work. I don't know how much bias there was in the documentary and the cynic in me made me think they wanted to make the obvious point of if they won't pick the cabbages then migrant workers are inevitable & how are they 'stealing' local jobs. However, maybe that is the case? Either way, post Brexit migration will continue or the locals will have to be forced to do those jobs or lose their benefits, ie, what they voted for.
It is possible there are not enough locals anyway, the migrants are paid less and are willing to share rented accom at higher densities. Gang master territory.

That's a typical right wing view there. I worked for £92 a week doing 36 hours a week as an office apprentice for a year which then went up to the minimum wage for another year before I started seeing any decent wages. That was in 2011. The worst for not working were usually the English plebs I knew who'd rather go on the dole for £45 a week instead of a factory job on £170 (back then). Funnily enough, those lads who didn't work had right wing views and blamed the foriegners for all their problems - in an area where there were very few foriegners too!

I'm not what you think, some leftie hippy with dreadlocks advocating that we "share the wealth maaaann"

That sounds more a racist view... not a simple right wing view

The problem is the very poor quality of employment, lots of low pay, agency, zero hours type jobs. It's propped up by state benefit subsidies too!

You may hate Jezza but his points about proper investment, proper jobs and skills training are all valid. Pity the Tories won't offer even part of that for the benefit of the country.

Just think how bad Jacob's Brexit dream will really be if it happens.

Hate is a strong word... I don't think he can provide a strong opposition or a strong government.... so ineffective would be a better word.

The problem is the very poor quality of employment, lots of low pay, agency, zero hours type jobs. It's propped up by state benefit subsidies too!...

Correct SoTT, the current political definition of high employment includes anyone listed as shown above. It's exactly the same political formula used in Australia. High employment no longer means meaningful long term fulltime hours of 35 hours plus per week.

Correct SoTT, the current political definition of high employment includes anyone listed as shown above. It's exactly the same political formula used in Australia. High employment no longer means meaningful long term fulltime hours of 35 hours plus per week.

It would be interesting to see what the stat would be if full time employment were the criterion for 'employed'. Even then, it would still count those involved in the gig economy as such even though they're typically zero hours contracts.

Good to see we've appointed a food supplies minister, think the last one we had ended back in 1958, to make sure the stockpiles are well looked after.

"Looking forward to blue passports, ration books and tinned food" said people who recall the spirit of the Blitz despite being born in the '50s!

Good to see we've appointed a food supplies minister, think the last one we had ended back in 1958, to make sure the stockpiles are well looked after.

"Looking forward to blue passports, ration books and tinned food" said people who recall the spirit of the Blitz despite being born in the '50s!

As opposed to Jezzaland and his Venezuelan Utopia.

Hope you don't like chickens?😂

The siege mentality went on well past the 50s.....

Honestly mate, how gammon faced is that? Young people today have got it a lot harder than your generation ever had it, assuming you're under 85. Real wages for the young are less than they were 30 years ago, job security is woeful, agency work and zero hours are rife, they have debts the size of a mortgage to pay for their education and house prices are the highest in history in relation to incomes. There's plenty of aspirational youth around too, don't watch so much Jeremy Kyle.

Don't watch daytime TV apart from the cricket.😂

It is possible there are not enough locals anyway, the migrants are paid less and are willing to share rented accom at higher densities. Gang master territory.

I remember working on the census many years ago and duruing the day I called on numerous terraced houses but one in particular made me smile, a Pakistani gentleman opened the door and in answer to my question said we have 47 conservative,38 labour 6 liberals and 11 don't knows but I cannot say for those upstairs true I kid you not.

Meanwhile the EU's highest court has just ruled that the expenses of MEP's can be kept secret after a bid by campaigners and journalists to bring transparency to the gravy train.

Keep picking up your expenses of €4,416 a month of our taxes folks,no problem.

You couldn't make it up.

Self interest rules ko,sorry pissmonuciation,, at least some of us are making a good living out of the eu,I read that corbyn and the perpetual asslicker starmer are seeing if barnier can get them tickets for the gravy train while it's still running the arch commie perpetual asslicker and the Vichy quisling all in the same building ugh pass the sick bucket.

Archived