onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Time to ship them out

andy jones

This is a problem resulting from making Owen a coach.

I think Adams dare not drop Owen because it will look really bad to all the youngsters. They will lose respect for Owen.

So once again we have been penny wise and pound foolish.

I dont think Micky Adams will worry about what the Youth kids think about dropping Owen!!

Owen looked better in the 2nd half Saturday when he played in the 4-4-2 formation as a normal centre half, rather than left sided in a back three. I still think the lads distrubution is awful though from the back.

I would try........

Tomlinson

Yates

Macdonald

Chilvers

Kozluck

Taylor

Loft

Roberts

Dodds

Richards

Pope

Advert

Is it just me that believes that no matter how good a player is if he doesn't believe in living a professionally acceptable lifestyle then he should be shipped out before he / them ruin the dressing room.

This time last season there seemed to be a really strong team spirit amongst the players and respect for the manager.

Not sure its the same this time round.

For me Gary Roberts getting back into the time is the biggest backward step possible - and from previous reports in the media its not just Gary that's forgotten the meaning of 'professional standards'.

Agree, I would keep Loft and Richards and start from scrath.

They are the only two that could perform at a higher level and its a general understanding of football that if you want to aspire for promotion you need players that are the standard above.

Your right, and the reason being Roberts likes to take the ball of the centre halfs toes 80 yards away from goal and Griffith is not exactly a box to box midfielder is he?..

Neither get forward and support the front men never mind them both playing together.

For me i would pick Loft and Roberts in the middle Saturday.

Spot on for as good as Griff is, he offers us little or nothing going forwards.

Our best period last season was with Roberts and Loft in the centre of midlfield (and whisper it quietly Tommy on the right of midfield).

Are you serious ? That terrifies me. And such electric pace there too.:(

If you look very carefully you'll see that I refer to needing a new, preferably decent centre half.

Who would you play then? The lightening pace of McDonald and Yates?

We are all guilty , yet again , of pinning our faith in someone who has been sidelined for a while.

As much as i have to admit that i cannot wait for Collins to be back, i want the Collins from two seasons ago.

Last season i have to say i thought he was our biggest let down.

He was awful and so much was expected from him.

Its like when Dodds is left out, we all want him back in the side.

When he plays ? we cannot wait to sub him

Same goes for Rigg Taylor Loft etc etc

Too many of our squad have had enough chances. We desperately need to change our squad big style.

I'm sure that most fans realise that the current team/squad is way short of good enough. I am also sure that a high proportion of the squad are at least one persons favourite player (1 has probably got pictures of Kozluk on his bedroom wall). It follows therefore that in order to progress we need to get rid of a few fans favourites. Its a hard world.

To be honest Dave, i think Roberts only got back in contention because Micky Adams knew we were struggling in midfield and had no one else. If Burge was fit and was in the side then Roberts would not be anywhere near the side.

Roberts is the best passer at the club, but he plays far far too deep, and virtually on the toes of the centre halfs and tries to pass it 60 yards to a player and we all know doesnt always work out.

He needs to play higher up the pitch and supply the forwards with little passes into the front mens feet, and slide rule balls in the channels in behind centre halfs.

Spot on.The most telling passes are those made in the final third of the pitch that open up the opposing defence and present real goal scoring chances. I've said before that Roberts' style of play can be summed up in one word.'SHOWBOATING!!'

SV

I agree with you over Roberts's best position on the pitch but I just wonder why standard employment law that serves every other type of company well doesn't seem to be implemented in football.

Gross misconduct and he would have been history Dave.Micky had already given him a verbal warning last season,so he currently must be on a written warning.Micky must be using the softly-softly approach?

Absolutely understand and respect the original poster's thoughts and reasoning behind his points, but I strongly disagree. I know it's on a much, much larger scale, but in the Premier League, how many 'big-time players' have been caught up in scandals for things such as missing a drugs test (Rio Ferdinand), being arrested and bailed for assault (Steven Gerrard), sleeping with mature women behind his wife's back (Wayne Rooney), sleeping with a team-mate's partner (John Terry), leaving his wife and kids for another woman (Frank Lampard) etc.. All prime examples of acting unprofessionally and bringing their respective Clubs into disrepute. Each case is different, yet each of these players remained at their Clubs, continued to play an integral part in their team's seasons and all they got was a slap on the wrist and a large fine (which is miniscule on their wages!). Why should Roberts be booted out for doing something stupid? Yes, it's not ideal, but it's League Two for you. He's obviously braindead and can't seem to help himself at times, but he's a very talented footballer. He may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but he's a good footballer and that's what you employ players to do - play football. Obviously discipline an professionalism is essential, but there are certain individuals who will re-offend and have to be approached in a different manner. That may seem like an unfair logic, as why should they recieve preferntial treatment to the rest of the squad, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. Roberts is a talented boy, just not a very intelligent one, and who clearly needs 'looking after' and monitoring closely, on a regular basis.

It's not the way things should be, but when you have such a talented player, it's difficult to just say 'Look, there's the door, goodbye'. If he then joins another Club, and by the miniscule chance it may 'finally' pay off, he makes them successful and gets them promotion, we'll look back on that with the utmost regret, I'm sure. With his talent, we can go far and we can ultimately achieve promotion from this league. We knew what to expect when he arrived here - it was always going to be a struggle to get his feet firmly on the ground, and nobody said it was going to be plain sailing. It's just one of those situations where you have to utilise the individual as best you can, and use him to our strengths (which would mean playing him regularly). At the end of the day, football is a results-based business, and one player's conduct (I understand Club image etc.. is vital) shouldn't stop you from using your top assets. Results speak volumes. Nobody would bat their eyelids about him if we went up.

Absolutely understand and respect the original poster's thoughts and reasoning behind his points, but I strongly disagree. I know it's on a much, much larger scale, but in the Premier League, how many 'big-time players' have been caught up in scandals for things such as missing a drugs test (Rio Ferdinand), being arrested and bailed for assault (Steven Gerrard), sleeping with mature women behind his wife's back (Wayne Rooney), sleeping with a team-mate's partner (John Terry), leaving his wife and kids for another woman (Frank Lampard) etc.. All prime examples of acting unprofessionally and bringing their respective Clubs into disrepute. Each case is different, yet each of these players remained at their Clubs, continued to play an integral part in their team's seasons and all they got was a slap on the wrist and a large fine (which is miniscule on their wages!). Why should Roberts be booted out for doing something stupid? Yes, it's not ideal, but it's League Two for you. He's obviously braindead and can't seem to help himself at times, but he's a very talented footballer. He may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but he's a good footballer and that's what you employ players to do - play football. Obviously discipline an professionalism is essential, but there are certain individuals who will re-offend and have to be approached in a different manner. That may seem like an unfair logic, as why should they recieve preferntial treatment to the rest of the squad, but that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess. Roberts is a talented boy, just not a very intelligent one, and who clearly needs 'looking after' and monitoring closely, on a regular basis.

It's not the way things should be, but when you have such a talented player, it's difficult to just say 'Look, there's the door, goodbye'. If he then joins another Club, and by the miniscule chance it may 'finally' pay off, he makes them successful and gets them promotion, we'll look back on that with the utmost regret, I'm sure. With his talent, we can go far and we can ultimately achieve promotion from this league. We knew what to expect when he arrived here - it was always going to be a struggle to get his feet firmly on the ground, and nobody said it was going to be plain sailing. It's just one of those situations where you have to utilise the individual as best you can, and use him to our strengths (which would mean playing him regularly). At the end of the day, football is a results-based business, and one player's conduct (I understand Club image etc.. is vital) shouldn't stop you from using your top assets. Results speak volumes. Nobody would bat their eyelids about him if we went up.

But none of those you mention turned up p!55ed for training. Private lives are private.

Archived