onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

I agree with the opening poster. We need a consistent side if we are to have any chance of getting away from this mess. We've been making 4/5 changes every match without fail since January in the hope that something will stick. I'm sorry it just doesn't work like that. Look at how often the top teams change their starting 11.

Advert

I should be going all being well, the last 2 performances have given me a bit more hope that we can get ourselves out of this mess. However I don't think we should be making too many changes, we need to get settled pattern of play with a settled side and we haven't been that for a long time now. So for me keep the same formation, play Turner and Tonge.

Barnett a far better player than Turner at this stage, Barnett can build on display against Accrington when he showed some real class at times. Would go for Barnett/Turner combo though and drop Pope to bench. Hope Gibbons is back as Wilson looks shot. Gibbons and Tyler Denton can get us up that field. Going for Vale to win 2-0 at Stevenage, silly I know but just a feeling we are getting towards our best team set up.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Barnett a far better player than Turner at this stage, Barnett can build on display against Accrington when he showed some real class at times. Would go for Barnett/Turner combo though and drop Pope to bench. Hope Gibbons is back as Wilson looks shot. Gibbons and Tyler Denton can get us up that field. Going for Vale to win 2-0 at Stevenage, silly I know but just a feeling we are getting towards our best team set up.

I agree with most of that Walter apart from the impossible win , draw at best I reckon, pope should be on bench and also Pyke go attacking instead of waiting for them to come at us as accy did and inevitably score as they always do!

We do look as though we are slowly improving and less changes needed just pope off

Difficult situation, dropping Pope when he had a decent first half, just got tired in 2nd, but dropping Barnett when he too had a good game seems unfair (& it was a good combination for the goal), but then I do agree that Turner should start.

Would be inclined to start with Barnett/Turner & replace either 2nd half if we're still struggling, for Pope to come on fresh. I realise this means a change again, but I think we didn't have the ideal starting 11 out on Tues & once we finally do find a winning team, should then stick with it.

Pope and Wilson off ---- Turner and Gibbons on. That'll do . More changes will only unsettle the players

Why drop those two ....... Wilson - He needs a two week vacation in Iran or Iraq and see how people under pressure adapt and perform. I cant say more about him other than if we have "loaned" him then send him back asap - if we were daft enough to sign him cut our losses and let him stew in the reserves or send him on loan to anywhere that will have him until his mind is back on being a footballer as it is no where near that at the moment.

Pope - he had an OK first half last home match but was not "running himself into the ground". Second half he was a man asleep . If, like others are saying, he doesn't get the service then as he doesn't have another string to his bow he becomes effectively redundant - the second half he looked done in, and as for making the defenders chase him it was like kiss chase at school where the girls wanted to get caught but he was playing the girl ! After Turner was told to "run himself into the ground for 60 mins" he did that and then was substituted - I believe,Tom has played every game, except the daft cup, and the same tactics have been employed and we are where we are - Change it and drop Tom to the bench. I know its hard to drop the messiah but it will send out a clear and unambiguous message - no one is bigger than the team, which at the moment he is !

This is not a get at the Legend, this is a cool hard look at a footballer who has been sussed out by ALL opponents AND Officials - yes we all know that the refs will give Tom Nothing and most probably do have it in for him - but is Tom doing anything to help his cause - unfortunately not, When he goes for a header look at his body shape and his eyes - they are looking at the man and not the ball, every time ! If I, an old age pensioner, can see it then so can a middle aged ref. When he is fouled he goes down so theatrically I want to jump up and shout "encore" instead of "foul!" And he then starts shouting and playing to the crowd - Has he ever stayed down and made the ref think he was hurt - not on your life. He's up and raring to go again - not a thinking footballer. I'm not saying he should go down and roll around as that is also daft but when you are really hit hard by a defender you sometimes have to stop playing the hardman for 30-40 seconds and just lie there and perhaps go to the touch line otherwise the middle aged ref knows you are crying wolf all the time. You sometimes have to play a thinking man's game as well as a hard man's game.

All the management have chopped and changed everything this year except Tom and would it hurt just to try it once and see if we can manage without his 30 goals a season. It would at least make their defence have to think about what they do rather than what they have seen succeed in every game bar one.

I'd be inclined to have Tonge starting instead of Middleton, who only started 7 games for Donny last season and doesn't look the part for us yet.

Worrall must play.

Not sure about 3rd midfielder. Any one from several options.

I'd like to see more of Pyke and Turner and thought Barnett looked good on Tuesday.

Time to use Pope as a sub.

He was very effective in that role for Bury last season and would boost the team/ crowd coming on after an hour.

Two wing backs self select; Denton and Gibbons.

Central defence I'm really not sure about; we seem to have a real soft centre and have conceded so many easy goals....

How about some stability in the team, bring back Gibbons, Tonge and Turner. Not hopeful of a manager change, so off we go for the 5th game against a current top 7 team. Does that mean we have had a tough run and easier games will follow, although we have not beaten either team below us? Only a change in luck and a boost to confidence with wins will solve our predicament, can the tide turn without a change in management? 3 points at stake, chances of at least 1?

Another step in this agonising journey to non league oblivion this team will not win another game this season imho they fully deserve where they sit in the league and don't deserve to wear the shirts - that includes u pope put ya fag down and prove us wrong 👻😔😱

Another step in this agonising journey to non league oblivion this team will not win another game this season imho they fully deserve where they sit in the league and don't deserve to wear the shirts - that includes u pope put ya fag down and prove us wrong

So,so tiresome.

Stick with the same starting eleven. The more they play together the better, we weren't too far away on Tuesday but we need consistency and for that the players must have time to play and learn as a 'team'.

Please not Wilson. Tonge should replace Middleton and Pope should be sub replaced by Turner or Pyke. Then keep it the same barring injuries/suspensions.

Stick with the same starting eleven. The more they play together the better, we weren't too far away on Tuesday but we need consistency and for that the players must have time to play and learn as a 'team'.

Agree but just play Gibbons instead of Wilson. For sure if Aspin comes in he won't put up with Wilson as he is not a battler!

Archived