onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Happy Clappers are to blame

whotobeakiller

Advert

Andy, I said last June, when the ridiculous gamble was taken, that if it failed it would take us a minimum of 18 months to come back from.

Look at Notts County. We have mirrored them so far.

I'm more concerned that Michael Brown is getting the brunt of the slack, whilst the cancer that is Norman Smurthwaite is getting off damn lightly.

Until he goes. The club is doomed.

Some warned you all 18 months ago and before. Only a minority listened.

It could get desperate and too late.

I hope we aren't the next Orient or Tranmere. Certainly hope we don't do a Stockport. But fans, supporters club, media, need to start putting pressure on the idiot that owns the club, like they did for a month last season, or end up in the depths of non league football. Maybe not next season, but under his tenure that's where we will eventually end up.

I could not agree with this more. As I said on another thread, complaining about Browny is like complaining that your toast is burnt whilst you house is burning down.

I don't think Brown is the answer... but I also don't think people are focusing on the right question.

There is one person and one person only who is at fault for the Vales current position, and the future issues we are still to face. Norman and his 'gamble'.

He hoped to make millions off a stable of foreign stars... so he tore the fabric of the club apart with dollar signs in his eyes. And now he will protect his own interests as we flounder.

And people are all worried about the bloke put in charge of the team... the damage Brown can do to this club is minuscule to the damage good old Norman is doing.

I like the way you conveniently miss out Micky Adams....

Sent from my Moto G (5) using the onevalefan mobile app

He missed him out cus he wasn't cheap. The others were.

One proper managerial appointment (+ the Gannon shambles) in over a decade is woeful. Everyone else has been their first job in professional English football. Foyle, Glover, Sinnott, Page, Bruno, Brown. All their first go.

Miraculously, the first time we appoint a manager with vast experience and who cost a bit more, we get our first promotion in 20 years.

Although the way he delivers it might be over the top, Mattholl isn't 100% wrong. Our fanbase has become accepting of cheap managerial appointments.

I like the way you conveniently miss out Micky Adams....

It actually underlines the point. After a few cheap and underwhelming appointments and with the board under pressure after the protests in 2008/09, another cheap manager wasn't an option for them.

One proper managerial appointment (+ the Gannon shambles) in over a decade is woeful. Everyone else has been their first job in professional English football. Foyle, Glover, Sinnott, Page, Bruno, Brown. All their first go.

It was also to date, apart from Page's brief stint at Northampton, their last managerial job in league football.

It was also to date, apart from Page's brief stint at Northampton, their last managerial job in league football.

Its a truly shocking indictment of how poorly we are run as a club.

Bar, as Santa says, the time when the board had their hands forced, Port Vale has failed to make a successful managerial appointment since Rudge (arguably Horton).

It comes back down to what the start of this thread was all about; although 'happy clappers' aren't to blame, a lot of fans have been far too acquiescent of nearly 20 years of mismanagement, off and on the pitch. I only fear how long it will take for Vale fans to realise that we deserve far better than what we've had.

Its a truly shocking indictment of how poorly we are run as a club.

Bar, as Santa says, the time when the board had their hands forced, Port Vale has failed to make a successful managerial appointment since Rudge (arguably Horton).

It comes back down to what the start of this thread was all about; although 'happy clappers' aren't to blame, a lot of fans have been far too acquiescent of nearly 20 years of mismanagement, off and on the pitch. I only fear how long it will take for Vale fans to realise that we deserve far better than what we've had.

I think we used up all our luck with Rudge and wonder if the appointing from within route ever works. Look at my local club, Carlisle United: number two Greg Abbott did alright for a few years (couple of Wembley trips in the JPT) then lost the plot and Pope's last-minute winner four years ago did for him. The club gave the job to his assistant, ex-Stokie Graham Kavanagh, another hard-man midfielder with no experience who couldn't keep them up - sound familiar?

Only when the board woke up to reality after a poor start in League Two - familiar again? - and sacked him did they bring in an experienced manager in Keith Curle. He's a bit odd and erratic but he's definitely turned them into promotion contenders. I saw them give Sunderland a proper match in the League Cup last week - the Blues looked streets ahead of Vale (and then got stuffed at Lincoln on Saturday!).

I think we used up all our luck with Rudge and wonder if the appointing from within route ever works. Look at my local club, Carlisle United: number two Greg Abbott did alright for a few years (couple of Wembley trips in the JPT) then lost the plot and Pope's last-minute winner four years ago did for him. The club gave the job to his assistant, ex-Stokie Graham Kavanagh, another hard-man midfielder with no experience who couldn't keep them up - sound familiar?

Only when the board woke up to reality after a poor start in League Two - familiar again? - and sacked him did they bring in an experienced manager in Keith Curle. He's a bit odd and erratic but he's definitely turned them into promotion contenders. I saw them give Sunderland a proper match in the League Cup last week - the Blues looked streets ahead of Vale (and then got stuffed at Lincoln on Saturday!).

You want the best man for the job. How often has the best man for the job been sitting next to the bloke who has just been sacked?

Smurf is carrying on a trend which has been at Port Vale for a decade because fans meekly accept it.

Foyle, Glover, Sinnott, Grew etc were all low cost managers brought in prior to Smurf, its no different.

Foyle was a low cost appointment because we had just come out of admin and Horton refused to take a pay cut.

Sinnott was a successful non-league manager, the kind we were shouting for with Aspin etc to be appointed. But for many reasons it didn't work out.

Glover was a mistake no doubt.

You missed Gannon who wasn't low cost but was an abject failure.

But what about Mickey Adams, our best manager since John Rudge?

Foyle was a low cost appointment because we had just come out of admin and Horton refused to take a pay cut.

Sinnott was a successful non-league manager, the kind we were shouting for with Aspin etc to be appointed. But for many reasons it didn't work out.

Glover was a mistake no doubt.

You missed Gannon who wasn't low cost but was an abject failure.

But what about Mickey Adams, our best manager since John Rudge?

One decent manager since Horton. Its indefensible. 1 out of 8.

One decent manager since Horton. Its indefensible. 1 out of 8.

So don't undermine the manager(s) - look at who appointed them !

I don't accept Page was a failure either, if he had been left there we would be a division and another 10 places higher at least.

I think you could argue Page wasn't a failure. In with a shout of the play offs with 3 games left to play, despite all the off-field shenanigans with the chairman...

EDIT: Ah, what Bea said.

Eddie Howe,Slaven Bilic and Frank de Boer won't be pleased and John Sheridan and Justin Edinburgh would be even more worried,they've lost all four games?

Great examples really Bilic has been given 4 games to turn it round or he's gone, Frank De Boer has 1 game. The reality of football when you talk a lot and want big boy wages, people expect big boy results not 21% win ratio for your time in charge. Sure Browns happy to take the wage for doing the worst job in PVFC history.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Andy, I said last June, when the ridiculous gamble was taken, that if it failed it would take us a minimum of 18 months to come back from.

Look at Notts County. We have mirrored them so far.

I'm more concerned that Michael Brown is getting the brunt of the slack, whilst the cancer that is Norman Smurthwaite is getting off damn lightly.

Until he goes. The club is doomed.

Some warned you all 18 months ago and before. Only a minority listened.

It could get desperate and too late.

I hope we aren't the next Orient or Tranmere. Certainly hope we don't do a Stockport. But fans, supporters club, media, need to start putting pressure on the idiot that owns the club, like they did for a month last season, or end up in the depths of non league football. Maybe not next season, but under his tenure that's where we will eventually end up.

You can't keep harping back to Smurf sorry but you can't in this league at all. We have a budget available that 75% of the managers in this league would snap your hand off for, an infrastructure far better than most of the clubs in our league. Brown must take the blame for the end of last seasons abysmal run of form and this seasons shocking start.

Fans can't sit by and moan about wanting Smurf out but accepting Brown is ok to balls up. If you want Smurf gone you make sure he understands that EVERYTHING he is giving us is below par, the management, the results, the match day experience and his input. All need to be changed.

A decent manager can work under the current conditions as a fan base we must push to get Brown gone and make Smurf appoint a decent manager, if he can't he puts the pressure back on himself. Appointing a decent manager will cost him money and further weaken his pocket. Yes we might go up but that's a win win, we go up his investment takes a turn for the better and he can sell easier.

The first step is making him show Brown the door if we can't even get rid of the monkey then we have no chance with the organ grinder

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Archived