onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

"Fit-and-proper-person" Test?

LancyTony

Now seems to be an appropriate time to discuss this with the goings-on at our beloved Vale? I was listening to a Blackburn fan on the radio, last night, eloquently stating the case against the Venky's: allegedly, when they took over the club, 7 years ago it was around £20million in debt and in the Premier League; 7 years on, they have been through 8(?)managers, dropped 2 divisions and the debt has increased to more than £100million; Francisco Becchetti, owner of Leyton Orient has seen his club drop out of the League, and his players and staff not get paid for several weeks. On top of this, they appear to be uncontactable at a time when they ought to be explaining their actions/inactions and offering solutions?

These are only 2 examples; you could suggest that owner(s) who allow their club to get £100million+ into debt are not acting in a "fit-and-proper" way? So - instead of a one-off assessment of the owner's suitability, why not an ongoing review of their propriety? Any breaches would result in suspension while full investigation into propriety is carried out. An initial monetary bond, perhaps equal to one year's running costs, could be lodged with whichever League the owner is buying into? This would be used to maintain bills and salaries are paid while any investigation is ongoing (Ian Wright sort of suggested this!). What do you guys think?

Advert

Now seems to be an appropriate time to discuss this with the goings-on at our beloved Vale? I was listening to a Blackburn fan on the radio, last night, eloquently stating the case against the Venky's: allegedly, when they took over the club, 7 years ago it was around £20million in debt and in the Premier League; 7 years on, they have been through 8(?)managers, dropped 2 divisions and the debt has increased to more than £100million; Francisco Becchetti, owner of Leyton Orient has seen his club drop out of the League, and his players and staff not get paid for several weeks. On top of this, they appear to be uncontactable at a time when they ought to be explaining their actions/inactions and offering solutions?

These are only 2 examples; you could suggest that owner(s) who allow their club to get £100million+ into debt are not acting in a "fit-and-proper" way? So - instead of a one-off assessment of the owner's suitability, why not an ongoing review of their propriety? Any breaches would result in suspension while full investigation into propriety is carried out. An initial monetary bond, perhaps equal to one year's running costs, could be lodged with whichever League the owner is buying into? This would be used to maintain bills and salaries are paid while any investigation is ongoing (Ian Wright sort of suggested this!). What do you guys think?

Good idea. The current fit and proper person test is a joke. Ask fairportnick - he passed it for heaven's sake! Seriously though, the manner in which the football authorities in this country allow any tom, dick or harry to take over our clubs without any real due diligence is a disgrace. Massimo Cellini at Leeds failed the test because of a conviction for tax evasion but still ended up taking over the club. There needs to be much stronger oversight of takeovers, especially when the purchasers come from abroad.

The value of the debt is irrelevant in many ways. It's just a number, the important bit is can they service the debt.

Man Utd are servicing close to £500M of debt perfectly well.

I agree - but, other than a few fans who don't like them - they don't seem to be doing a bad job? So any constant review would be positive.

Massimo Cellini at Leeds failed the test because of a conviction for tax evasion but still ended up taking over the club...

Yes - I was going to use him as an example, mainly because he's also gone through numerous managers! But to have convictions for tax evasion ought to rule someone out, surely? I'm becoming more concerned about this, not only because of Smurf's behaviour - which, I believe, would be in breach of the test - but there seems to be an ever-growing number of foreign owners coming in.

I think club owners should have to give a Directors Guarantee (poss to FA), yes this negates the limited to which the company trades but would make them personally accountable for debt helping make sure they run the club in a fit and proper way.

the FL don't give a toss because for every club that drops out there's always another one to take their place

The venkys need to speak to Norman. They will be overjoyed to hear that their £100 million debt has just increased the value of their club by £100 million.

As for the fit and proper test, it's a token gesture. It pretty much relies on you telling them that you aren't fit and proper.

Right Andy. Someone told me only yesterday it's a self assessment. I don't know why I doubted them.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

It is self assessment, Cavalier. First day in my last job I got a piece of paper thrust in front of me asking if I had been convicted of certain crimes (fraud being the main one).

That said, I am surprised Smurthwaite can write his own name to certify himself.

"An initial monetary bond,"

I suggested this a looong time ago on here to Glenn Oliver of all people..he poo pooed it

If there were a mechanism such that deliberate mismanagement (although difficult to prove) resulted in losing that bond then it should be explored as a deterrent. Incompetence is unfortunately a different matter

Archived