onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Championship Striker? Alex Jones? Smurf On The Radio

ValiantJoel

I wonder what part of Plan B some are not going to like. It wouldn't surprise me if the sale of Alnwick didn't happen. He's had his critics but lets face it without him over the past few weeks the opposition could have been in double figures. So the sale of Smith and Alnwick could set a lot of alarm bells ringing and make us all fear for the consequences.

Advert

I wonder what part of Plan B some are not going to like. It wouldn't surprise me if the sale of Alnwick didn't happen. He's had his critics but lets face it without him over the past few weeks the opposition could have been in double figures. So the sale of Smith and Alnwick could set a lot of alarm bells ringing and make us all fear for the consequences.

Very good point. It's all very well bringing in more and more new signings in the hope of getting the right ones but we should also look at either a) securing the best youngsters at the club or b) if they do go then getting the best possible price for them.

For me, I would be trying to get Remie Streete to sign a new three-year deal as the first priority in January. It's surely in the Vale's interest to tie the probable player of the year to a new deal ASAP. If he leaves and a tribunal sets the compensation price, Vale are not going to get very much at all wheras if he's on a long-term deal Vale have a much better chance of negotiating a decent fee.

I think some of the foreign lads have potential, the only one I don't rate and wonder why we signed him is Tavares. (Not a good age to sign a player from abroad at 30!, and offers very little), although I've heard he's thick with Bruno so probably something in that!

Shalaj and Santos do seem a bit of a waste of a wage if I'm being harsh(not seen enough of Shalaj to form an opinion) but otherwise they've all done something in fits and starts and are young enough to get better. Reggie I think could be a very useful lower league striker with games under his belt.

Page was to blame for the ridiculous resigning of Lloyd and Johnson(clearly Conference standard players based on where they've gone on loan, it's a pity Chester and Gateshead haven't take them permanently!) and 1 or 2 others(Yates-altho I feel for him with the injury he should never have been kept on!)

However as has been said did we really need that many players with 'potential' and jam tomorrow kind of promise? We need players to perform now(i.e. this season to get results)

I think some of the foreign lads have potential, the only one I don't rate and wonder why we signed him is Tavares. (Not a good age to sign a player from abroad at 30!, and offers very little), although I've heard he's thick with Bruno so probably something in that!

Shalaj and Santos do seem a bit of a waste of a wage if I'm being harsh(not seen enough of Shalaj to form an opinion) but otherwise they've all done something in fits and starts and are young enough to get better. Reggie I think could be a very useful lower league striker with games under his belt.

Page was to blame for the ridiculous resigning of Lloyd and Johnson(clearly Conference standard players based on where they've gone on loan, it's a pity Chester and Gateshead haven't take them permanently!) and 1 or 2 others(Yates-altho I feel for him with the injury he should never have been kept on!)

However as has been said did we really need that many players with 'potential' and jam tomorrow kind of promise? We need players to perform now(i.e. this season to get results)

Reg to be fair must have a similar goal to minute ratio as Jones (Jones has 2 or 3 pens too) so he could be a real asset as he gets used to the English game.

Tavares is an odd one, he looked awesome at the start but seems to have dipped with the teams form, although he does look much better in a more advanced midfield role.

The kindest thing I can say about Smurthwaite is he is the only person I've ever known who has done a job for 4 years and yet still learnt absolutely nothing about it.

The problem with Smurf is he acts like a fan in every aspect of what he does...

Saturday at home the first two goals go in, I'm arsey with the wife (she doesn't get the football thing) I have a rant, vent on the forums pretty much as most of us do...

Smurf does the same when in his position he probably should keep it to himself but his passion is admirable even if it lands him in hot water many times!

Full time he is furious so mouths off at the radio crew, Exeter he is furious so mouths at the fans on the bus etc. In one way its comforting to know he cares but needs to think before he speaks more as to the effect it will have (in fairness he seems to have learnt to more since the Exeter)

The problem with Smurf is he acts like a fan in every aspect of what he does...

Saturday at home the first two goals go in, I'm arsey with the wife (she doesn't get the football thing) I have a rant, vent on the forums pretty much as most of us do...

Smurf does the same when in his position he probably should keep it to himself but his passion is admirable even if it lands him in hot water many times!

Full time he is furious so mouths off at the radio crew, Exeter he is furious so mouths at the fans on the bus etc. In one way its comforting to know he cares but needs to think before he speaks more as to the effect it will have (in fairness he seems to have learnt to more since the Exeter)

Fair points, although I'd rather have someone competent than someone who cares. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't run the club, but I'd like to think it would take me (or anyone else on here) less than 4 years to see this, then employ somebody who could!

Championship striker?

We already have one, he gets played on the wing.

It doesn't matter who we bring in, if you don't play them in their correct position.

No! you're mistaken.

Bruno only plays a striker on the wing when a left back is not available.

Jones scores 10 goals from out wide, people ask for him to be put through the middle where he's struggled when played up there.

People moan about the players we have but then moan we're going to sign more.

People moan about a stale setup last year and we need a clear out, we do it and they moan.

People moan about V2001 and then moan about Smurf!!

I give up.

Sorry Smurf's comments don't stack up with me. He seems to be saying that he was expecting Bruno's chums to loan him quality players while at the same time allowing him to build the squad to 35 or so. How many players was he expecting then - in excess of 40? Makes no sense at all especially as Smurf said quality not quantity was the aim this season.

Just my opinion of course but I am completely bewildered by Smurf time after time.

What annoys me is that he says in that interview that a manager is judged on results...really Norm or is it who his mates are?? 1 win in 10 league games is a sackable run imo for a chairman who wants a top 6 spot but it now seems the only thing keeping Bruno here is the promise of loans and not whether he is any good for Vale or not.

Archived