onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Closed thread on Castro

Bea Smith

Unfortunatley Bea it's the truth, how well could you live on 18GBP/month. Internet access is just one example how Castro manipulates his people, the USA cannot prevent Cuban's from internet access just like it cannot prevent the Russians, Cuban's simply cannot afford computers or access to the WWW.

Internet access is nice, but not a life-threatening thing if you cant afford it, as is also the case with many other countries. And again you fail to understand that quoting an income figure is totally meaningless without also giving details of how much things cost - if a months rent is five dollars, then out of 18 that might be ok.

Im not saying this is the figure, but your attemepts at misinformation with selective or partial statistics are really a bit lame.

You also don't seem sure whether lack of internet is through poverty or an attempt to subvert though you suggest the latter - plain daft, as US radio is easily picked up by most Cubans and if this is a trait of countries you dislike why don't the Russians restrict it too?

Finally, I already posted that I agree Cubans are poor, but this is ENTIRELY due to US pre-Obama policy, not even a flight from anywhere in the US to Cuba was allowed as you well know.

Advert

I am not in the habit of lying about what I saw either, and wonder if you are talking about a selected street or a special security occasion, perhaps you would care to expand on whether this was every street in every town you visited, a regular occurance or once-off etc. or are 'armed guards' in your description perhaps just the same as 'armed police' in the USA where you could also use the same term.

Did you see any acts of brutality or repression - I didn't, nor even aggression of any sort. Maybe I should have gone a bit further north and across a short distance of sea to see some real 'armed guards' in uniform gunning down unarmed black youths.

I'm not on about the US mate but, for what it's worth, I don't agree with their police carrying fire arms. They've got huge problems and their attitude towards guns is sickening.

I wasnt aware of any incidents and no not every street I went on.

I saw no violence.

I saw people living in filth. With nothing. They were begging for everyday items. Bottles of water, deoderent,sun lotion etc

I'm not on about the US mate but, for what it's worth, I don't agree with their police carrying fire arms. They've got huge problems and their attitude towards guns is sickening.

I wasnt aware of any incidents and no not every street I went on.

I saw no violence.

I saw people living in filth. With nothing. They were begging for everyday items. Bottles of water, deoderent,sun lotion etc

Thank you for a more detailed answer, and I have already agreed that people in Cuba are poor, though no more so than in many other countries. It is US policy to make this happen, and has been for more than 50 years - a policy that has failed, because as you say, there is no violence and the people are aware of who is causing their problems.

Begging goes on in many places, I've been harassed in lots of countries, especially North Africa for the items you list - I don't blame people for wanting what is not available, but am glad that a large number of them realise that when those things only come with Trump-style policies, or a return to Batista-style mob rule then they are less attractive.

If only a former president had shown a bit of the vision of Obama in reaching out to make normal ties with Cuba, things could have been better - but then we are talking about the likes of Reagan and the Bushes.

Heh Bea,when you went to Cuba,did you have the use of Fidel's yacht or did you have to slum it like most of the population?:wink:

Marginally better as a post, five out of ten for wind-up quality, but a little more originality wouldn't go amiss Howjy. You naughty man, you've been reading that Daily mail again and believing it haven't you, when those of us more concerned with your welfare have told you time and again to use it as toilet paper.

I hope some of the rest of you who sprout the most pathetic vitriol have holidays in the US in the next year or two, and enjoy seeing the fruits of Trump-ism, or maybe get caught up what is coming there.

Marginally better as a post, five out of ten for wind-up quality, but a little more originality wouldn't go amiss Howjy. You naughty man, you've been reading that Daily mail again and believing it haven't you, when those of us more concerned with your welfare have told you time and again to use it as toilet paper.

I hope some of the rest of you who sprout the most pathetic vitriol have holidays in the US in the next year or two, and enjoy seeing the fruits of Trump-ism, or maybe get caught up what is coming there.

The Mail, marginally better than the Morning 'chocolate' Star.Trump is a to55pot,Castro was a despot.A bit better,6/10 maybe?:wink:

The Mail, marginally better than the Morning 'chocolate' Star.Trump is a to55pot,Castro was a despot.A bit better,6/10 maybe?:wink:

As Im feeling generous, and have just cleaned the BMW and the yacht whilst sipping a glass of Moet, I'll remark to 6.

But don't let it go head and if I find out you've bought the Express as well, I'll tell both the Hartlepool fans where you plan to sit on Sunday.:smile:

Bea, you say that shortages in Cuba were down to USA sanctions. Did that stop Cuba trading with other countries, in particular the USSR/Russia? This is a genuine question, not a wind up.

A very valid and interesting question.

As far as I am aware, Cuba had some trade and limited aid from the USSR, less when the Soviet Union broke up. However, even in its more prosperous times, the USSR was never a rich nation, like the USA. The USA enriched itself by exploiting virtualy all South American countries (google United Fruit Company or here is a link from that left-wing rag the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/books/review/Kurtz-Phelan-t.html

Add in gigantic arms sales and war profits and the US was able to alkmost bankrupt the USSR, let alone Cuba.

However, what Obama was working towards was influencing Cuba by opening up trade and tourism ties, something that would have benefitted both countries (and may still do). Cuba could expect hundreds of times more tourists from the US than from Russia, and this embargo was one that made a real difference.

Also, if the US had bought Cuban sugar crops instead of spraying them with pesticide (a form of unusual attempted genocide) and even Cuban cigars, and other countries in the West had traded more, doors would have been opened.

It has been proved in many wars and cold wars that punishing a whole population does not work - in WW2 German blitz of London stiffened resolve, and even the much heavier destruction of German cities like Hamburg and Dresden failed to sway the opinion of the population. The same of Tokyo and many other Japanese cities in WW2, in Vietnam the bombing of Hanoi and Haiphong and mass slaughter of civilians there only made the population more determined to evict the invaders - and the same is true in many other places.

The US (well, Florida anyway)is just minutes away from Cuba and Russia is on the other side of the world - so I would think that no amount of trade from the Warsaw Pact countries could make up for what damage was done by the US.

Internet access is nice, but not a life-threatening thing if you cant afford it, as is also the case with many other countries. And again you fail to understand that quoting an income figure is totally meaningless without also giving details of how much things cost - if a months rent is five dollars, then out of 18 that might be ok.

You fail to grasp the point about internet access, no it's not life threatening but enables people to connect to the world, something you appear to take for granted. As for $20 - $5 rent giving $15 for everything elsa, very easy to dismiss when it ain't you or your family having to live on such a paltry sum.

Im not saying this is the figure, but your attemepts at misinformation with selective or partial statistics are really a bit lame.

You also don't seem sure whether lack of internet is through poverty or an attempt to subvert though you suggest the latter - plain daft, as US radio is easily picked up by most Cubans and if this is a trait of countries you dislike why don't the Russians restrict it too?The only misinformation being spouted on here is from yourself, sure Cuba has free healthcare, free schools but The Castro's have exorted a high cost on thheir people.

Bizarre statements.

Finally, I already posted that I agree Cubans are poor, but this is ENTIRELY due to US pre-Obama policy, not even a flight from anywhere in the US to Cuba was allowed as you well know.

So you don't think Cuba's plight has anything to do with the Castro family, again bizarre thought processes.

It's extremely easy for an American to take plane to Canada and then fly to Cuba and many have done and do.

Having been in little Havana in Miami many times and eaten in Cuban restaurants and got talking to exiled Cubans, all to a man hate the Castro's and their oppresssive regime and want it gone. Your view of Cuba is that of a tourist who sees a different culture, a beatiful island and friendly welcoming people but for some nonsensical reason think it would be a wonderful place to live and it's people live in bliss, most tourists are more savvy than that. It's the same nonsensical reasoning that leads you to spout your hate filled comments about the USA and spout the nonsense about quality of heathcare. You really do need to see a doctor.

You fail to grasp the point about internet access, no it's not life threatening but enables people to connect to the world, something you appear to take for granted. As for $20 - $5 rent giving $15 for everything elsa, very easy to dismiss when it ain't you or your family having to live on such a paltry sum.

Bizarre statements.

So you don't think Cuba's plight has anything to do with the Castro family, again bizarre thought processes.

It's extremely easy for an American to take plane to Canada and then fly to Cuba and many have done and do.

Having been in little Havana in Miami many times and eaten in Cuban restaurants and got talking to exiled Cubans, all to a man hate the Castro's and their oppresssive regime and want it gone. Your view of Cuba is that of a tourist who sees a different culture, a beatiful island and friendly welcoming people but for some nonsensical reason think it would be a wonderful place to live and it's people live in bliss, most tourists are more savvy than that. It's the same nonsensical reasoning that leads you to spout your hate filled comments about the USA and spout the nonsense about quality of heathcare. You really do need to see a doctor.

Yeah, I suppose anyone who disagrees with you is ill and needs to see a doctor. What a charmer, but wait - this lost soul is a drug company puppet isn't he, so I think you need the doctor(s) more:laugh:.

The rest of your post is a mixture of nonsense and patronising rubbish - who gives a flying duck whether you've been to traitortown Little Havana ? You have no idea of which Cuban people I have met or know so don't guess wrongly and try to say that I see the place wrongly - have you ever been yourself ?

Finally, 'bizarre statements' you accsue me of then you say this-

'It's extremely easy for an American to take plane to Canada and then fly to Cuba and many have done and do.'

Now THAT is bizarre to anyone with a smidgen of geographical knowledge, given that most of those wanting to go would start in Florida. Lets see -

Florida to Cuba - about 100 miles -cost if cheap route installed maybe 50 bucks. Time 1 hour ?

Your 'easy' route - Florida to Canada then Canada back to Cuba - several THOUSAND miles and cost of perhaps more than 1,000 dollars. Time 12 or more hours with customs and airport changes. Totally stupid, irrational and demented, like your post.

And it's me that needs to see the doctor is it? Don't think so, do have a sound sleep and try to do better with your disinformation and distorted nonsense, unless of course your geography really is that bad, after all you may actually BE American for all I know.:laugh:

ps Just watching BBC news reporter just reporting no signs of dissent, genuine outpouring of grief, and on the quality of health and education in Cuba- from what he sees and hears there. But you are probably watching your distorted Fox news or something similar.

Archived