onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Closed thread on Castro

Bea Smith

I feel I have to post that I am disappointed that a tribute opening post was spoilt by ant-semitic remarks, opinions that people should be murdered and the like - and that Admin have allowed these remarks to cause the thread to be closed.

I can only hope that equal vigilance will be shown against the anti-Jewish remark posted by ******* ********, and that it is not just removed and forgotten.

Advert

OMG Bea Smith please move on, we accept that you have very positive thoughts about Fidel Castro, Nikkita Krushev, Muammar Gadaffi and Saddam Hussein.

I wonder how many Hungarians who fled their country in 1956 following the invasion of Kruschev's troops would share your view that he was a peacemaker?

I wonder how many people in this world believe it would be better if Gaddaffi and Hussein were still in power?

I wonder how many countries in the world have had two absolute rulers since the year 1959, and they are brothers? That would not necessarily be the first model of democracy, electoral choice and fair succession that many of us would share.

As this is a football website, please do not lose sight of the fact the one of the finest football teams the world has ever seen was destroyed by Krushev. I refer of course to the magical Magyars of Hungary from the 1950s. The Soviet invasion dismantled this superb team and put Hungary in the lower tier of world football, from which they have never recovered. This is some achievement by a peace maker.

I feel I have to post that I am disappointed that a tribute opening post was spoilt by ant-semitic remarks, opinions that people should be murdered and the like - and that Admin have allowed these remarks to cause the thread to be closed.

I can only hope that equal vigilance will be shown against the anti-Jewish remark posted by Houston Valiant, and that it is not just removed and forgotten.

I have deleted most of the thread as being off-topic and will be reviewed as admin can still see them. Of course the Cuban people are his best judge.

OMG Bea Smith please move on, we accept that you have very positive thoughts about Fidel Castro, Nikkita Krushev, Muammar Gadaffi and Saddam Hussein.

I wonder how many Hungarians who fled their country in 1956 following the invasion of Kruschev's troops would share your view that he was a peacemaker?

I wonder how many people in this world believe it would be better if Gaddaffi and Hussein were still in power?

I wonder how many countries in the world have had two absolute rulers since the year 1959, and they are brothers? That would not necessarily be the first model of democracy, electoral choice and fair succession that many of us would share.

As this is a football website, please do not lose sight of the fact the one of the finest football teams the world has ever seen was destroyed by Krushev. I refer of course to the magical Magyars of Hungary from the 1950s. The Soviet invasion dismantled this superb team and put Hungary in the lower tier of world football, from which they have never recovered. This is some achievement by a peace maker.

You have misunderstood my point about Saddam Hussein and Gaddafi - I have no time for them and they were horrible murderers, and were very, very different from Castro. I have no positives for them other than that there was a stable situation in those countries until the US and others chose to become murderers themselves.

The point was that other countries, including our own, should not take it on themselves to be the worlds' policemen, especially as it is only when it suits them and oil riches or political gain are involved.

Why no US/NATO/Cameron intervention in Rwanda when millions were murdered, why nothing done against Robnert Mugabe ? As I say it is only when it suits.

Worst of all though, is that Iraq, Libya, and some other places where WSestern powers interfere inappropriately are left in ruins and chaos, with far worse results not only for their own people but also for all of us, who now face Al Queda and ISIS. Cameron wanted to do the same in Syria too, Egypt and other places are near disasters waiting to happen - Ukraine has had a war caused by US supported ovberthrow of a democratic government.

So yes, a lot of people - a very huge number - would agree that things would have been better left alone in Iraq and Libya. That doesn't mean their leaders were to be supported or commended in any way, just that interfering can cause untold damage and consequences that were never thought out.

I don't think going back to the 1950s helps either - the Soviet Union repressing Hungary was wrong, but you won't consider the US overthrowing Allende's elected government in Chile no doubt - its a horrible world, and Im not saying otherwise. You might like to look up how the US murdered Patrrice Lumumba in the Congo and caused a war there too, or Grenada. Very few are innocent.

Kruschev was a peacemaker in 1962, just as Tony Blair deserves credit for his work on peace in Northern Ireland - and his nightmare in Iraq doesn't affect that he did some good work in NI.

Finally, back to Castro and there are many in other countries, (as I mentioned - those hit by the Ebola crisis) grateful to Cuba who made no gain or had no unterior motive in sending massive medical aid when the US stood by and did very little.

I have deleted most of the thread as being off-topic and will be reviewed as admin can still see them. Of course the Cuban people are his best judge.

Agreed. In the next few days you will see that not just throughout Cuba, but much of Latin America, Jamaica, a lot of African countries and millions worldwide will show their true respects, though some in the US will probably have this reported differently or choose to see it differently.

Depends on the truthfulness or otherwise of media outlets in Cuba on which those in Cuba depend for their information. After all we in the UK allegedly cannot rely on our free press and other media..it's state controlled in Cuba so can it be relied on to allow the Cuban people to make judgements? IMO no

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-19578348

Just trying to provide some balance BS.

When you provide a link to Russia Today, Al Jazeera and some others as well as ABC/Fox etc. I might be more convinced. I agree that as many versions of the news as possible need to be read these days, with all the manipulation and misinformation that goes on.

I'm reasonably happy that the BBC site do a fair to good job in being unbiased though, of course there are exceptions, but I wouldn't swap them.

There was an interesting TV item recently on the BBC about 'hundreds' of false web sites, some wth 100,000 US viewers that were had stories like 'HC is a paedo'. Given the closeness of that election, did they make a difference? I'd say yes.

http://www.rferl.org/a/macedonia-trump-election-websites/28097576.html

I live in a country where the media is in the control of the authorities, censorship is rife and information is usually controlled to such an extent and for such a long period people believe what they are told without much, if any, questioning... The "prime minister" is on the television almost every nigh and for 1 hour, all channels, every friday at a specific time.

I could say more but I could get arrested for it.

Bea, do you approve of dictatorships in principle or are you a democrat?

At the risk of being accused of fence-sitting, I have to say that it is not a simple choice. I will start by saying no, I don't approve of dictatorships in principle, but I am very glad you added the 'in principle'. There may well be times where people will suffer less under a stable dictatorship than total chaos caused by so-called democratic powers acting as illegal 'world policemen', like Iraq and many other countries.

I would also say I approve of democracy 'in principle' but sadly what passes for democracy is clearly a flawed product when so much manipulation goes on and people are swayed by biased press.

I will add to this later, a neighbour has just called round, as I have some relevant points to add about Cuba in particular.

Archived