onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Bruno Ribeiro's press silence prompts rumours and speculation

News Feed

Advert

It is inevitable that speculation will mount following such silence. It is understandable if language is a barrier, it is never easy dealing with journalists in your Mother tongue, to do it in another language is a huge challenge. However, Port Vale must have media savvy staff,so they can write a decent script and film an interview for their own channel. This would keep him in the eye and mind of fans. Is this another example of lack of professionalism off the field Or is it something with deeper meaning? Over the PV media dept and their newly appointed Chf Exec.

It is a real puzzle but Radio Stoke's reporters have had chance after chance to get to the bottom of this and failed miserably.

I think we're entitled to hear what our manager has to say.

We're not. I don't think there's any obligation on Bruno's part to speak to the media.

What I find odd is his back-seat demeanour during games.

On the other hand, who cares as long as we're doing OK?

It is a strange one, I don't want to read anything into it that something is amiss but you can't help but think something has changed as he started off doing interviews?

I'm not sure I buy the language barriers one, I've heard managers with far worse English and some who could barely speak a word until they'd had lessons(Pochettino, Ranieri and Capello for example all had to have interpreters when they first came to England), unless he feels embarassed personally? tbf to Bruno I thought he got his point across fairly well if a bit repetitively but as Essex Vale says you can excuse that when it's not his first language. Plus he's mates with Mourinho who's English is one of the best and regularly cracks jokes with the media for example which is something you wouldn't do unless you command of a language was pretty good, he could always take a leaf out of Jose's book who I think deals with some of ridiculous questions he gets asked very well at times!

I'm guessing he hasn't fell out with the local media in anyway? I'm not a fan of RS' coverage on Vale personnally and I thought they were trying to set him up a bit with the Purkiss issue which may have peed him off but otherwise?

To be fair to Bruno, there's only so much "we work 'ard...every day/we're a family/good conditions at this club" I want to hear!

I think all the press soundbites are pretty much of a much-ness. Most clubs including Vale, know that it's not worth the risk of saying anything too controversial. So you do get the same stuff. "Working 'ard" seemed to be Tony Pulis' default quote to the media for about a century...

But having said that, there is still an obligation to answer the press's questions.

Just to clarify why I ran the article, before anyone asks...

Personally, I don't think it is that significant he's staying silent (I said so in the article) as long as results are OK (I'm with smithie on that) but I do think that as it is causing chatter and conversation (e.g. the article has four tweets linked into it which were talking about the very subject) then the article was worth doing. If only to report the fact that people are discussing it.

As the article says - "Bruno Ribeiro’s press silence prompts rumours and speculation" - so I'm just reporting that people are speculating on the lack of press interaction - I'm not condemning him for it, or calling for it to change , but as it's unusual for a manager to stay silent for over a month, I'm just pointing out that fans have noticed the lack of press quotes.

I wonder do players/managers get any media training as such? Like how to deal with the press. I'd imagine bigger clubs perhaps provide some advice for players or the player/managers union for example if it's a smaller lower league team? Or is it just something that comes with experience when someone shoves a mic. under your nose? Some players it's like getting blood out of stone for journalists whereas others are naturally more talkative(like people in all walks of life). But with Managers it's a bit different as they are the ones normally being interviewed after every game win, lose or draw so I suppose they have to learn to be a bit more eloquent.

I can't imagine Bruno has never dealt with media before coming to Vale, perhaps the level of interest in the lower leagues in this country is a lot more than his previous jobs but Vale are hardly what you'd call a majorly topical side like premier league clubs will be! Who knows?

I wonder do players/managers get any media training as such? Like how to deal with the press. I'd imagine bigger clubs perhaps provide some advice for players or the player/managers union for example if it's a smaller lower league team? Or is it just something that comes with experience when someone shoves a mic. under your nose? Some players it's like getting blood out of stone for journalists whereas others are naturally more talkative(like people in all walks of life). But with Managers it's a bit different as they are the ones normally being interviewed after every game win, lose or draw so I suppose they have to learn to be a bit more eloquent.

I can't imagine Bruno has never dealt with media before coming to Vale, perhaps the level of interest in the lower leagues in this country is a lot more than his previous jobs but Vale are hardly what you'd call a majorly topical side like premier league clubs will be! Who knows?

Yes they do.

Conspiracy theories abound! As with any other manager, results will do the talking for him and the Smurf has been very clear with his on-pitch target; in the top six at Xmas--so let's see where we actually are at the end of December and then we can better assess the managerial situation at that point.

I was one of the people who tweeted about it. It is very curious, since Bruno was very vocal until a month or so ago. His last official PVFC comments by video seem to be the away win at MK. He comes over as a very likable chap, the fans had taken to him, nothing seems to have happened since to cause it but he has not spoken since. The club has said nothing, but Smithie and, to an extent, Brown seem to be the spokespeople. Radio Stoke have not commented, which adds fuel to the situation, since they seem to have the closest media relationship with the club. Very odd.

I wonder do players/managers get any media training as such? Like how to deal with the press.

Judging by the post match interviews we hear from players throughout the leagues, I suspect that when a player signs his first pro contract, he is given a copy of "The Big Boys Bumper Book of Football Cliches". They all say the same thing.

Premier League players clearly do. They adopt a strange "mouth firmly shut" purse of their lips to shut down any question they don't like.

Even more paranoid is how you see managers putting their hands in front of their mouths before speaking to their assistants on the touchline. Do they imagine the opposition have drones watching them and lip-reading? It really is odd!

Judging by the post match interviews we hear from players throughout the leagues, I suspect that when a player signs his first pro contract, he is given a copy of "The Big Boys Bumper Book of Football Cliches". They all say the same thing.

At the end of the day, I think you're right there. But then again we could talk about cliches till the cows come home... :wink:

Archived