onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurthwaite says he will offer Nathan Smith a new contract

News Feed

Norman Smurthwaite says he has been speaking to Nathan Smith’s agent about a new contract for the impressive young defender. Smurthwaite told BBC Radio Stoke: “He is being scouted by some Championship clubs as we speak so I anticipate that there will be some interest in the window, I don’t think it will be at […]

Click for full article

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

I'm sorry but Smurf seems to think that time is on his side but believe me in this day and age all of the cards are definitely in the players and their agents hands and you can rest assured that the agent will be trying to move him on so he gets a bigger 'slice of the cake'.

I'm sorry but Smurf seems to think that time is on his side but believe me in this day and age all of the cards are definitely in the players and their agents hands and you can rest assured that the agent will be trying to move him on so he gets a bigger 'slice of the cake'.

He says something should be done by the end of October, seems fine to me and no need to panic.

The only problem is nowadays is, long contract or not if the player wants to go then he will.

Regardless, we need to tie him down to a decent length contract to make sure we get the best price for him when the offers do come in. We don't want to be forced into a fire sale in January because he's running his contract down. I know we'd still get some sort of fee as he's under 24 but we want to be in the strongest position possible.

Regardless, we need to tie him down to a decent length contract to make sure we get the best price for him when the offers do come in. We don't want to be forced into a fire sale in January because he's running his contract down. I know we'd still get some sort of fee as he's under 24 but we want to be in the strongest position possible.

Exactly. I said much the same elsewhere. There's going to be a huge difference between a fee agreed by tribunal (you get nominal fees like we did for Hugill) and a fee for a player under contract where the selling club holds many more cards and can hold out for a decent price.

Walsall sold 19 year-old Rico Henry for £1.5m rising to £5m this summer. That was because he was one year into a three year contract with Walsall. I doubt they would have got a million if he'd been out of contract or with just a few months left.

I'm not saying Smith is worth that amount just that as Santa says Vale will get a lot more for an under-contract under 24 year-old than one with an expiring or expired contract.

Exactly. I said much the same elsewhere. There's going to be a huge difference between a fee agreed by tribunal (you get nominal fees like we did for Hugill) and a fee for a player under contract where the selling club holds many more cards and can hold out for a decent price.

Walsall sold 19 year-old Rico Henry for £1.5m rising to £5m this summer. That was because he was one year into a three year contract with Walsall. I doubt they would have got a million if he'd been out of contract or with just a few months left.

I'm not saying Smith is worth that amount just that as Santa says Vale will get a lot more for an under-contract under 24 year-old than one with an expiring or expired contract.

For the Vale :

We will get a lot more for Smith - if he is under contract, say 3 yrs

For the Player :

Please ALL remember that Smith and his agent, will get a lot more

IF he only has months left on a contract.

For the buying club :

Why pay the Vale £ 500 000 and then an offer to Smith and his agent

When £ 50 000 could be good enough with a much greater offer to Smith and agent

Unfortunately the player and AGENT hold all the cards.

I said a month ago we are totally dependent on Smith himself and the type

of person he his.

We should still do all we can NOW to get him signed up for 3 years minimum.

Yes its still a gamble but one we have to take.

Much better than the many chancers we have taken in the last year or so.

Its no good Smurf saying hes on a boys wage !!!

Get him a good contract now and hope he signs it

They would probably need to come up with a reasonable minimum buyout clause on the contract so Smith can guarantee that Norman won't try to double the value and risk him getting stuck here out of stubbornness to not lower the price. He seems a decent lad and i think he would want to pay Vale back by helping to get some transfer money for the work that's been done with him, unlike Hugill who ran at the first sniff.

They would probably need to come up with a reasonable minimum buyout clause on the contract so Smith can guarantee that Norman won't try to double the value and risk him getting stuck here out of stubbornness to not lower the price. He seems a decent lad and i think he would want to pay Vale back by helping to get some transfer money for the work that's been done with him, unlike Hugill who ran at the first sniff.

I think one decent point that Norman makes is that it would make sense for Smith himself to continue to get first-team football over potentially going into a Championship club's reserves. Perhaps that would be a persuasive argument too.

He's clearly worked really hard (all of last season, hundreds of miles away, earning two POTY awards) to get into the Vale team so perhaps he may think a contract now and look for a move in the summer of 2017 or perhaps January 2018. That would mean he'd be moving with perhaps 75-100 Vale games under his belt and a better chance of going straight into a Championship side's first-team rather than move now and get stuck in the reserves.

One final point - if the Championship is his next destination (and that makes sense) I would hope we manage to get a sell-on clause put in place just in case he goes even higher. Barnsley got loads for Stones' move to Man City while Troy Deeney could net Walsall millions if he moves from Watford (he's been linked with a big-money move).

And yes, I know it's too early in his career to say Smith will get into the Premier League (it's very early days yet) but it's definitely worth the sell-on clause just in case isn't it?

Besides Smith I think Remi Streete should be offered a longer contract. We need a stable defence to continue the good work started by Bruno.

We can't keep waiting for players contracts to run down then reduce their terms and expect them to stay.

How many players have we sold on at a profit during Normans reign. I am sure Anthony Grant would stay if offered an improved longer contract.

If you need a good guide how to get the best price we don't need to look far because Gradi at Crewe showed how it should be done. The club should trust the opinion of those in charge and reward the player(s) with a decent long term contract. The players will appreciate the club's faith and if they move on the benefit for the club will be ten fold.

Archived