onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Who is coming in to replace JJ?

robf

Advert

Problem with leaving it until the last minute is that you don't have chance to assess the player before you have to commit to a contract.

In what way? We'll have scouted the player a few times and get chance to speak to him before signing a deal. What do you think they do normally that is different to that?

If he doesn't work out and the window is shut how do we replace him.?

But how is that different to any other signings we've ever made?

I think you're insinuating that we'll just be randomly signing players who we've never scouted or spoken to before. I think I can confidently say that we'll have some knowledge of the players before we sign them.

But how is that different to any other signings we've ever made?

I think you're insinuating that we'll just be randomly signing players who we've never scouted or spoken to before. I think I can confidently say that we'll have some knowledge of the players before we sign them.

I'd be interested to know who scouted or spoke to the likes of Mbamba before we signed him, stupers. I can't imagine the Norwegian third division is a hotbed for Football League scouts.

I'd be interested to know who scouted or spoke to the likes of Mbamba before we signed him, stupers. I can't imagine the Norwegian third division is a hotbed for Football League scouts.

But arguably we have done some form of scouting on him, or spoken to scouts who work in the area maybe from other clubs who we don't compete against (Man Utd scout perhaps given the link with Mourinho) that have recommended him. Scouting is a murky area for fans (including me) and their knowledge of the system is limited. I don't think it works as simply as we send our scout to watch a player anymore and then make a decision. Information now comes from many angles. RZ is trying to suggest a negative point that we'll have done no homework on the players we bring in. I simply believe that won't be the case.

I agree on that totally as well.

There was an obvious method in the Bell/Rudge system. A player was sold and a proportion of the fee was given back to Rudge to spend on a new player. So, McCarthy went for £1.5m, Bell used £1m (for whatever he used it for) and Rudge spent £500k on a replacement (Ainsworth).

Rudge always seemed to have the replacement lined up and I seem to remember he was livid when Ainsworth was sold because he was out of the country scouting and hadn't lined-up the replacement.

I realise times and the transfer market have changed but it does seem good sense to always have your replacement lined up before you let a player go.

I think the reason for that was common sense and forethought. We are almost certainly always be a selling club and the truth is that any player doing well in our team is going to attract attention. Rudge knew this, knew the players in question, knew their worth and knew the replacements. It'd be nice if all managers were so switched on.

Re-iterating what Rob said earlier, I think a couple of these signings will be crucial in determining the outcome of our season. Get them right and who knows? But if we can't get a bit more pace, threat, creativity and goals in the team it might be a hard campaign as we can't continually rely on the defence if the forwards are not scoring goals.

Archived