onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Smurth has a Pop(s) at Radio Stoke

Mario

Its a strange word foreigner/foreign... I used to do foreigners, still say foreign bodies when I find ants etc in my tea and something I cant quite grasp is often called a foreign language [computers?].... none of them refer to foreigners as in people from another country... it may be an age thing, a word often used in my childhood.... I suppose its all down to context and intent really.... of course interpretation becomes the foreign body in the ointment.

It really isnt a strange word. Every example you give makes perfect sense in the context it is used, and is perfectly clear what the meaning is. Same with the comment williams made. Not sure why you're making so much effort to change what he actually said.

Advert

Everyone is entitled to there opinion .

Ray if criticising may have made a good point ,the standard yesterday first half wasnt exactly high quality ,we were lucky to be ahead .

We were organised but need to be more high intensity .

We won the game through sheer hard work and two very good goals but other than that we created nothing .

Lots to work on thats for sure if weplay like that every game we wont threaten the oppositions goal often enough achieve owt .

I haven't heard the commentary as I was at the game. I wonder how many on here heard it and were outraged vs those that haven't heard it but are outraged anyway because peer pressure says they must be outraged by it.

I heard it at the time and couldnt believe he'd said it on live radio. I wasn't outraged. People are making a straw man arguement here (Some people like to imagine people foaming at the mouths at every little politically incorrect comment when its not the case). I do think the comment was out of place on a BBC radio commentary though, and was definitely unprofessional.

Let's stop bullying the poor bloke. He made an error and has apologised for it. The thing is ridiculous.

People working for the BBC and in other responsible media positions have lost their jobs for not much more.

I'm not saying he should - but he needs to think before he opens that gaping gob, he is PAID to be a responsible commentator. It's 2016 not 1979.

And Michael, if he isn't media trained (as you say) then he should be, and quickly. A regular for a BBC station does receive training.

I'm not the least bit outraged, but these days when we have rid the place of Jim Davidson-types and similar filth, we still need to control things and make sure they don't creep back to the bad old days.

That will really annoy some people - good. You can think what you like (for now, that will change too in time) but you can't say it anymore.:laugh:

I am amazed we are likening Ray to Jim Davidson. The guy is a retired footballer asked to provide comments live regarding his beloved football team. He is not trained in the art of commentary by the BBC. He made a faux pas. Apology accepted. Let's move on.

Nobody likened Ray to Jim Davidson, don't misquote, distort and put words into people's mouths.

The point was made that we don't have to put up with the extremes of the likes of Davidson anymore, and we don't want things slipping back that way even a tiny bit, it needs to be stamped on quickly and effectively.

He is acting as a BBC employee by commentating on their behalf, not as a retired footballer being asked a single question or being interviewed once. He is on every match, it is a long term thing, and he has guidelines, therefore I say he is trained. If he hasn't been given training and guidelines there is something seriously wrong at Radio Stoke, and if I find out this is the case I will be making representations to the BBC as I am entitled to do as a licence payer.

Has he actually apologised ? I've not seen it - it hardly matters as long as he doesn't do it again.

He also needs to realise that it is NOT a 'free country' in respect of saying what you want, I can't say what I want on here and nor can you, nor in many other places.

Ray Williams is very fortunate to be allowed to commentate on his team, he should remember that and not risk losing the privelege. If you want to move on, don't keep posting on it, I'm prepared to discuss it for as long as necessary.

This is slightly off topic but kind of relates to radio Stoke / valiant player.

There used to be an option to choose between radio Stoke and the other teams local radio station. Is this still an option or has it been wiped completly?

I don't mind Blakemore and Williams to much but it was always nice to get a different perspective on vales performance.

And as people have been saying before this, the radio Stoke commentary is a bit cringeworthy and negative at times.

Guest TommyMac
Nobody likened Ray to Jim Davidson, don't misquote, distort and put words into people's mouths.

The point was made that we don't have to put up with the extremes of the likes of Davidson anymore, and we don't want things slipping back that way even a tiny bit, it needs to be stamped on quickly and effectively.

He is acting as a BBC employee by commentating on their behalf, not as a retired footballer being asked a single question or being interviewed once. He is on every match, it is a long term thing, and he has guidelines, therefore I say he is trained. If he hasn't been given training and guidelines there is something seriously wrong at Radio Stoke, and if I find out this is the case I will be making representations to the BBC as I am entitled to do as a licence payer.

Has he actually apologised ? I've not seen it - it hardly matters as long as he doesn't do it again.

He also needs to realise that it is NOT a 'free country' in respect of saying what you want, I can't say what I want on here and nor can you, nor in many other places.

Ray Williams is very fortunate to be allowed to commentate on his team, he should remember that and not risk losing the privelege. If you want to move on, don't keep posting on it, I'm prepared to discuss it for as long as necessary.

Get a ******* grip. It's this type of reaction that blows everything out of proportion and leads to more xenophobic animosity from the PC brigade than it is truly worth.

You'll have Smurf thinking we are racists if you carry on like this. To me, some of our players are foreigners because they are not British. I cannot see how that is racist. But we all have our own opinions, Ray has apologised for any offence caused so let's stop this thread before Smurf decides to ban RS.

You'll have Smurf thinking we are racists if you carry on like this. To me, some of our players are foreigners because they are not British. I cannot see how that is racist. But we all have our own opinions, Ray has apologised for any offence caused so let's stop this thread before Smurf decides to ban RS.
As you say the subject has been aired enough, so it will be closed.

Archived