onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Radio Stoke: Norman Smurthwaite and Bruno Ribeiro live on air

robf

I didn't listen. However from the comments on here, Norman said a couple of weeks ago some of the signings were speculative and were in an attempt to improve the balance sheet. Whilst we need to stay solvent and always have been a selling club, fans aren't really concerned with the value of the balance sheet just what happens on the pitch. So are these signings for footballing reasons, with some of any profit to be reinvested in the first team, or are they to recoup money for Norman? It just seems like another of his ill thought out schemes, how many players from L1 and 2 move for big money these days? They are very few and far between. Budget all spent without a proven scorer and loads of midfield players, like groundhog day!

How ever he spends the money, IF we were to make any, they first and fore most need to be good at football. So whatever his plan is, they need to produce for Port Vale for it to be fruitful.

I agree about your concerns about the no striker situation. Hopefully it isn't like last year where that was the difference between where we finished and the play offs.

Advert

I didn't listen. However from the comments on here, Norman said a couple of weeks ago some of the signings were speculative and were in an attempt to improve the balance sheet. Whilst we need to stay solvent and always have been a selling club, fans aren't really concerned with the value of the balance sheet just what happens on the pitch. So are these signings for footballing reasons, with some of any profit to be reinvested in the first team, or are they to recoup money for Norman? It just seems like another of his ill thought out schemes, how many players from L1 and 2 move for big money these days? They are very few and far between. Budget all spent without a proven scorer and loads of midfield players, like groundhog day!

Perhaps you should have listened before commenting, as he specifically said that these signings are to help get results and entertaining football, and that transfer fees would be used to reinvest in the squad.

And as for players moving for big money...

Dele Alli, Assombalonga, Luongo, Callum Wilson, Connor Washington, Harry Maguire, Kemar Roofe, Nahki Wells, Dwight Gayle, O'Dowda, Moncur, Ajose, Adam Webster, Bradshaw, Holmes, Daniel Bentley to name a few big transfer fees in league one and league two over the past 2-3 years. I'm sure I've missed some and I've not included any of the relegated championship players this season.

With regards to Norwich looking at a player, I wonder if it was Alnwick? They've just allowed Declan Rudd to go on loan to Charlton for a season. It leaves them with just John Ruddy and Michael McGovern neither of which are spring chickens. Do they need a young keeper as back-up / to eventually fight Rudd for a first-team place?

Perhaps you should have listened before commenting, as he specifically said that these signings are to help get results and entertaining football, and that transfer fees would be used to reinvest in the squad.

Dele Alli, Assombalonga, Luongo, Callum Wilson, Connor Washington, Harry Maguire, Kemar Roofe, Nahki Wells, Dwight Gayle, O'Dowda, Moncur, Ajose, Adam Webster, Bradshaw, Holmes, Daniel Bentley to name a few big transfer fees in league one and league two over the past 2-3 years. I'm sure I've missed some and I've not included any of the relegated championship players this season.

Why should I have listened? I was unable to, that is why a lot of my post is questions. Howy answered in one sentence without the need to try and be clever. So he didn't say in a previous interview, that I did hear/read, that some of the signings were speculative? Must have dreamt that.

The worrying thing is that most of the new signings are speculative and on 2 year contracts so we are stuck with them if they don't produce the goods.

A lot of those players spent years being developed by their clubs before their big money move rather than being bought from a website and sold 4 months later though.

Why should I have listened? I was unable to, that is why a lot of my post is questions. Howy answered in one sentence without the need to try and be clever. So he didn't say in a previous interview, that I did hear/read, that some of the signings were speculative? Must have dreamt that.

Because a lot of what you speculated was wrong and specifically addressed by Norman in the interview.

Sorry if I offended you.

I listened to the first half hour then fell asleep waiting for a question in between rubbish.

I still like bruno's laid back style, even if some of his comments were over the top [fill the stadium by season end? {nice thought}] but the attitude was good and if hes happy, Im happy... it seemed to me smurf must be nicking bruno's happy pills, he seemed laid back too... cant fault the selling the players at the right price as and when the offers come in, its a way to survive and progress if it happens, I hope it does, it brings excitement [and disappointment for fans sometimes] on and off the field, and its excitement vale sadly have been lacking, not many will buy tickets to watch paint dry and the last couple of retained lists were like cement setting.

Only down side.... it seemed the questions were interrupting the program rather than the other way around.

Archived