onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Why I think adding a Tyson (or even a Pope) may be a wise move

News Feed

OVF editor Rob Fielding think an experienced spine to the Vale team may help the newcomers during a long League One season. Rob Fielding writes… I really hope that Port Vale do shock the critics this forthcoming season. So far the signs have been promising but it’s worth remembering that the season is a long, […]

More...

--

This is an automated feed from:

http://www.onevalefan.co.uk

View our home page for our latest features

--

Advert

Almost impossible to argue with the logic in your article Rob, but it will surely all come down to the available budget? I am more concerned that reading the various comments they have made, there does appear to be some disconnect about the way the manager and owner view the finances for the coming season. Hopefully they will be singing from the same hymn sheet?

Almost impossible to argue with the logic in your article Rob, but it will surely all come down to the available budget? I am more concerned that reading the various comments they have made, there does appear to be some disconnect about the way the manager and owner view the finances for the coming season. Hopefully they will be singing from the same hymn sheet?

Thanks Bycarsbill. I wonder if its just standard "horse trading" - in that the manager says "I would love that player" and the owner shakes his head and says "too much money". I guess that could even be a subtle nod to the player's agent to lower the demands and he may get a deal...

Not for me. His game was built on alarming pace. 5 years ago maybe. Not a good finisher.

Totally agree with this. I'm alarmed that we have five strikers on our books (six at a push if you include Mbamba) - two of which have been sourced from abroad by the manager and yet in spite of this we're looking at Nathan Tyson-esque players. This should be a break-through season for Hooper and Forrester, Cecilia is our big, awkward option and Saleiro should (it's a big should) have some quality to bring to the table. I'd rather we realised after 5 matches that we're short in that department and use contacts to bring in someone on loan than overload the squad with journeymen like Tyson.

Despite how many strikers we have on the books we are still very short on experience in that dept. I'm not saying Tyson is the answer, but we may need a more experienced option too.

Fair enough. I just don't buy the argument. By 'experience' we really mean a player who is past his best and has proven that he's good for 10/12 goals a season at this level or below. I'd rather the manager and chairman had some courage in their convictions. We paid a fee for Hooper and saw glimpses of his potential last season. I'd rather he was given 46 starts than he sat on the bench watching Nathan Tyson playing in his position. Likewise Anton Forrester. We've scouted the depths of Europe/been recommended players by people the manager/chairmen trust and respect to sign Cecilia, Saleiro and Mbamba - I'd rather we gave these lads a go than sign Nathan Tyson.

As a club, we need to be giving young talent (Hooper, Forrester, Turner) a chance rather than signing the likes of Callum Willock, Theo Robinson and Dany N'Guessen, who'll be gone and forgotten after 6 months of mediocrity.

Fair enough. I just don't buy the argument. By 'experience' we really mean a player who is past his best and has proven that he's good for 10/12 goals a season at this level or below. I'd rather the manager and chairman had some courage in their convictions. We paid a fee for Hooper and saw glimpses of his potential last season. I'd rather he was given 46 starts than he sat on the bench watching Nathan Tyson playing in his position. Likewise Anton Forrester. We've scouted the depths of Europe/been recommended players by people the manager/chairmen trust and respect to sign Cecilia, Saleiro and Mbamba - I'd rather we gave these lads a go than sign Nathan Tyson.

As a club, we need to be giving young talent (Hooper, Forrester, Turner) a chance rather than signing the likes of Callum Willock, Theo Robinson and Dany N'Guessen, who'll be gone and forgotten after 6 months of mediocrity.

Like I said I'm not saying that Tyson is the answer. It would be great to see the forwards given a fair crack of the whip, I'm sure JJ will, but we all know that once they hit a barren spell that we may see the crowd turn a bit. I just think that having an experienced striker on the books gives us a bit of know how at this level.

Totally agree with this. I'm alarmed that we have five strikers on our books (six at a push if you include Mbamba) - two of which have been sourced from abroad by the manager and yet in spite of this we're looking at Nathan Tyson-esque players. This should be a break-through season for Hooper and Forrester, Cecilia is our big, awkward option and Saleiro should (it's a big should) have some quality to bring to the table. I'd rather we realised after 5 matches that we're short in that department and use contacts to bring in someone on loan than overload the squad with journeymen like Tyson.

I agree. Thoroughly underwhelmed by us going for Tyson. A couple of seasons back I saw him up at Vale Park playing for Doncaster. He got absolutely bossed by Ryan Innis that day and thought 'he's gone downhill fast'. 18 months have passed since then. I doubt he's suddenly found his pace and shooting boots again.

I'd rather go with what we have and see where we towards the end of this transfer window. If we look like we need goals, make a move then. Not now, when we need to see how the new lads gel together.

Just to clarify my views (and I can see from the replies that there isn't exactly a lot of people crying out for Tyson to sign)...

My article's main point was more along the lines of needing an experienced spine to help out during a long season. Whilst we have that in midfield and defence, we lack anyone who has even played a full season in the Football League upfront.

To answer a few points made in the thread:

1. Yes, I totally agree that Hooper and Forrester should be given their chance but what if they are injured/dramatically lose form?

2. I don't think we would "overload" the squad with veterans - I actually think at the moment it may be the other way around and slightly too full of players with no experience of this league. They may all gel and work but if they don't I think we need a spine of experienced Football League players. I'm not arguing for any more than one more experienced player upfront to give us a spine of 6/7 experienced players that would then hopefully complement the dozen continental signings.

I stress, I don't necessarily think it has to be Tyson if he is too old/no longer any good but I do think a striker who is experienced in the lower leagues could be a good back-up option.

Just to clarify my views (and I can see from the replies that there isn't exactly a lot of people crying out for Tyson to sign)...

My article's main point was more along the lines of needing an experienced spine to help out during a long season. Whilst we have that in midfield and defence, we lack anyone who has even played a full season in the Football League upfront.

To answer a few points made in the thread:

1. Yes, I totally agree that Hooper and Forrester should be given their chance but what if they are injured/dramatically lose form?

2. I don't think we would "overload" the squad with veterans - I actually think at the moment it may be the other way around and slightly too full of players with no experience of this league. They may all gel and work but if they don't I think we need a spine of experienced Football League players. I'm not arguing for any more than one more experienced player upfront to give us a spine of 6/7 experienced players that would then hopefully complement the dozen continental signings.

I stress, I don't necessarily think it has to be Tyson if he is too old/no longer any good but I do think a striker who is experienced in the lower leagues could be a good back-up option.

I agree, I think we need another striker with a good scoring record!

Thanks Bycarsbill. I wonder if its just standard "horse trading" - in that the manager says "I would love that player" and the owner shakes his head and says "too much money". I guess that could even be a subtle nod to the player's agent to lower the demands and he may get a deal...

Exactly Rob, and similar to the point I was making in the 'Bring Him Home' topic thread and, as my dad would say, a nod's as good as a wink when in reaching ageement :smile:

Is anybody else beginning to share my fear that we don't appear to be able to score many goals again? I realise that these pre-season matches are a chance for the new manager and players to get acquainted with each other and various playing shapes/options/permutations, but a lack of goals held us back last season and we appear to be yet again, (despite quite a few new signings) somewhat lightweight up front and unable to find the net. I haven't had chance to see any of the warm-up games, but I do hope we see some width and pace in the coming season. Too many games during the last campaign we were too narrow and pedestrian for my liking and for these reasons, lacked real penetration in the final third of the pitch.

Archived