onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New Party leaders

tommytunstall

Advert

It will be interesting to see what happens to the 50 votes that Crabb and Fox got. Both of them have come out in support of Theresa May but do those 50 agree and if so, who do they think May has got a better chance of beating when it goes to the members? Could be lots of tactical voting I suspect.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the 50 votes that Crabb and Fox got. Both of them have come out in support of Theresa May but do those 50 agree and if so, who do they think May has got a better chance of beating when it goes to the members? Could be lots of tactical voting I suspect.

Mr.Gove up to his backstabbing tricks again.

I think Clarke did us a favour with his off the record comments about Gove. I suspected he was a person with little empathy likely to rush round and crash the car. I am losing faith re Leadsom now I have seen her CV. She has a senior middle management history in Barclays and then various roles in other businesses, some family related and one that failed. With her I was looking for the very intelligent top player in the city, and I'm not seeing that. So on all counts it is May to win and then she will need to show commitment to leave and find expertise to project manage. We need capacity in the civil service and elsewhere with trade negotiations.

A figure I would like to see get involved is Sir Howard Davies who was my boss at the Audit Commission in the 1990s. I rank him at number 2 in my most intelligent people ever met list and he is a nice bloke. Currently Chair at RBS and held many senior positions. Or someone similar. Need brain power, knowledge and negotiating skills.

No use knocking .........

I voted brexit and would do it again if that displeases you well live with it, after losing two world wars the krauts are subjugating us by stealth so the majority have said out,enough is enough I don't want to be part of the united states of Europe but if you enjoy being treated like shyite that's your choice. EFTA was good for us but the monolith has grown far too big for it's boots and others will follow,europe is seething with discontent and the rise of the far right continues to gather pace,Merkel,Junker,Tusk et al have caused havoc with their policies and have now added protectionism to their portfolio but if that continues to float your boat that's your choice but it aint mine,the democratic vote was for out and I'm patriotic enough to agree with that decision, if democratic patriotism doesn't sit well with you then enjoy what you have.

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing BB?We should have all told Maggie that Saville was a paedo,because we all knew he was or at least David did.

On the face of it, I bet you feel pretty confident making that statement Howjy - but life is full of surprises, and I can tell you categorically you are wrong.

There is no way Thatcher could not have been aware of what was being said about Savile as early as 1980 and before, but still went ahead and feted him, as she had with Ted Heath, who many know much about too.

How could I know this ? I have doine a lot of freelance journalism, later mostly football and had more than 500 pieces published in national newspapers - but earlier in the 70s before moving North from the London area I wrote a fair few things on rock/pop music.

In the course of this I met a large number of people and many of them had a good idea about what Savile was up to, and other so-called celebrities and politicians too. Nobody could do anything as the stinking corruption fo the time made it too dangerous - I personally had only heard gossip, but if it got to me and hundreds of others, there is NO WAY Thatcher would not be told.

You want proof - there was one person brave enough to give some idea of what was going on - listen to ALL of this clip, and the remarks about seediness from none other than the woinderful Mr John Lydon -

That was in 1978 ! I suppose its useless trying to convince you that some entrenched views are wrong, but perhaps you will also do me the favour of reading and thinking about this list:-

Margaret Thatcher Was One Of The Most Evil Women of the 20th Century

Quotes and Links, Top Articles

by Diogenes of Sinope

Here is a list of her crimes:

1. She supported the retention of capital punishment

2. She destroyed the country's manufacturing industry

3. She voted against the relaxation of divorce laws

4. She abolished free milk for schoolchildren ("Margaret Thatcher, Milk Snatcher")

5. She supported more freedom for business (and look how that turned out)

6. She gained support from the National Front in the 1979 election by pandering to the fears of immigration

7. She gerrymandered local authorities by forcing through council house sales, at the same time preventing councils from spending the money they got for selling houses on building new houses (spending on social housing dropped by 67% in her premiership)

8. She was responsible for 3.6 million unemployed - the highest figure and the highest proportion of the workforce in history and three times the previous government. Massaging of the figures means that the figure was closer to 5 million

9. She ignored intelligence about Argentinian preparations for the invasion of the Falkland Islands and scrapped the only Royal Navy presence in the islands

10. The poll tax

11. She presided over the closure of 150 coal mines; we are now crippled by the cost of energy, having to import expensive coal from abroad

12. She compared her "fight" against the miners to the Falklands War

13. She privatised state monopolies and created the corporate greed culture that we've been railing against for the last 5 years

14. She introduced the gradual privatisation of the NHS

15. She introduced financial deregulation in a way that turned city institutions into avaricious money pits

16. She pioneered the unfailing adoration and unquestioning support of the USA

17. She allowed the US to place nuclear missiles on UK soil, under US control

18. Section 28

19. She opposed anti-apartheid sanctions against South Africa and described Nelson Mandela as "that grubby little terrorist"

20. She support the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia and sent the SAS to train their soldiers

21. She allowed the US to bomb Libya in 1986, against the wishes of more than 2/3 of the population

22. She opposed the reunification of Germany

23. She invented Quangos

24. She increased VAT from 8% to 17.5%

25. She had the lowest approval rating of any post-war Prime Minister

26. Her post-PM job? Consultant to Philip Morris tobacco at $250,000 a year, plus $50,000 per speech

27. The Al Yamamah contract

28. She opposed the indictment of Chile's General Pinochet

29. Social unrest under her leadership was higher than at any time since the General Strike

30. She presided over interest rates increasing to 15%

31. BSE

32. She presided over 2 million manufacturing job losses in the 79-81 recession

33. She opposed the inclusion of Eire in the Northern Ireland peace process

34. She supported sanctions-busting arms deals with South Africa

35. Cecil Parkinson, Alan Clark, David Mellor, Jeffrey Archer, Jonathan Aitkin

36. Crime rates doubled under Thatcher

37. Black Wednesday - Britain withdraws from the ERM and the pound is devalued. Cost to Britain - £3.5 billion; profit for George Soros - £1 billion

38. Poverty doubled while she opposed a minimum wage

39. She privatised public services, claiming at the time it would increase public ownership. Most are now owned either by foreign governments (EDF) or major investment houses. The profits don't now accrue to the taxpayer, but to foreign or institutional shareholders.

40. She cut 75% of funding to museums, galleries and other sources of education

41. In the Thatcher years the top 10% of earners received almost 50% of the tax remissions

42. 21.9% inflation

43. Covered up the Hillsborough disaster to protect the police. -TRAP: The Real Art of Protest

I voted brexit and would do it again if that displeases you well live with it, after losing two world wars the krauts are subjugating us by stealth so the majority have said out,enough is enough I don't want to be part of the united states of Europe but if you enjoy being treated like shyite that's your choice. EFTA was good for us but the monolith has grown far too big for it's boots and others will follow,europe is seething with discontent and the rise of the far right continues to gather pace,Merkel,Junker,Tusk et al have caused havoc with their policies and have now added protectionism to their portfolio but if that continues to float your boat that's your choice but it aint mine,the democratic vote was for out and I'm patriotic enough to agree with that decision, if democratic patriotism doesn't sit well with you then enjoy what you have.

'Krauts' is a racist term, and you would probably be subjugated by an amoeba, let alone a German.

You've had your moment, shame that you and the other rabid xenophobic hysteria merchants are going to be ignored - but also sad that those of us with genuine concerns about Europe like TTIP, and the fact that the EU IS undemocratic get labelled with you when nothing could be further from the truth.

I wont quote the whole post...

I agree with most of it... except she must have known... must?

Heard rumours like yourself? probably... but thinking and probably believing something isnt necessarily the same as knowing it.

I think quite a few suspected but probably didnt want to believe [common factor in child abuse]... some knew.

But the thread isnt about thatcher or saville... lets try to stay on topic... its not a rebuke

I doubt any career minded politician wants to lead us out of the EU, their chances of being re-elected will probably diminish considerably.

One party has already started to campaign under the banner "vote for us to stay in"... will either of the big 2 dare to use it?... its a very risky strategy

I doubt any career minded politician wants to lead us out of the EU, their chances of being re-elected will probably diminish considerably.

One party has already started to campaign under the banner "vote for us to stay in"... will either of the big 2 dare to use it?... its a very risky strategy

Hence the reason why I think Cameron, Johnson and Farage have scarpered for the hills :yes:

Bit of a poison chalice I think Barry

Indeed it is Geo, but if there was any chance any of the BREXIT mob truly believed it seems to me they would stay and see it through - especially Farage, poison chalice or not because he is doing his own 'Exit to his family.

My thinking is they are political cowards.

Archived