onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

UK Independence Day - 23 June, 2016?

Aussie Rules

Advert

The question it raises Barry is if it isnt enacted will the politicians be ready willing and able to deal with the backlash.

Its one thing to get elected on promises written in the mist its something quite different to disreguard a decision made by the people from one simple question... no matter which side of the political spectrum you sit you lose 50% of the electorate... wow... now that is a scary thought... if you are a politician that is.

Indeed it does Geo, especially so if the Electorate was not fully apprised that the Referendum was not binding and that Westminster has the final say. :yes:

Parliament always has the final say (I think)

Normally it splits on party lines with the main party advocating a certain decision re any referendum (that they think will win) so it would normally be almost a certainty to get voted through but this one is unusual in that the main party actually split so no guarantees at all.

Someone may well mount a legal challenge to the referendum which could hold things up for months

Parliament always has the final say (I think)

Normally it splits on party lines with the main party advocating a certain decision re any referendum (that they think will win) so it would normally be almost a certainty to get voted through but this one is unusual in that the main party actually split so no guarantees at all.

Someone may well mount a legal challenge to the referendum which could hold things up for months

This is one time JA when discussing politics is anything but boring - well, I think so :yes:

This is a response to Machinist's post 438 which I shan't quote because it's too long and I don't want to partially quote for fear of him shouting at me.

First of all, I have to award him a medal for his first sentence being the longest I have ever read on OVF. Well done.

Secondly, I shall just say again that the Second Referendum petition was NOT set up by Remain voters but by a Leave voter. Irrespective of what was said in May by each side, that is a FACT. All the Remain voters have done is sign it, not initiate the process.

With regard to Professor Dougan, whom you dismiss because you think he is an EU stooge, he is a Professor of EU Constitutional Law. You don't have to be in the EU to study EU Constitutional Law just as you don't have to be in the USA to study American Studies. It is an area of study, not a source of income. If you have, as you say, seen the video you will understand what he says about making trade deals and how they don't just happen at the click of someone's fingers. As you rightly say, we do not need trade deals to trade so I wonder why we should bother at all. Let's just stick to WTO regulations and accept the tariffs that go with them. Clearly all these countries that want to make trade deals with each other are just wasting their time.

The UK has not conducted a unilateral trade deal since before we joined the EU in 1973. The former chief secretary to the FCO was on the radio last week saying that we will need at least 100 people with the experience necessary to conduct these negotiations and in the UK currently we have about 20. We will have to hire in the expertise from ourside the UK - from Europe perhaps - so we may end up in the position of hiring people to come here from the EU to help us to negotiate the consequences of our exit from the EU!!

Anyway, this may all come to nothing because, judging by his column in the Telegraph this morning, Boris is clearly soiling his pants at what he has helped to bring about and talking about taking time to think. Things may hardly change at all once Parliament gets its teeth into this ludicrous situation.

This is a response to Machinist's post 438 which I shan't quote because it's too long and I don't want to partially quote for fear of him shouting at me.

First of all, I have to award him a medal for his first sentence being the longest I have ever read on OVF. Well done.

Secondly, I shall just say again that the Second Referendum petition was NOT set up by Remain voters but by a Leave voter. Irrespective of what was said in May by each side, that is a FACT. All the Remain voters have done is sign it, not initiate the process.

With regard to Professor Dougan, whom you dismiss because you think he is an EU stooge, he is a Professor of EU Constitutional Law. You don't have to be in the EU to study EU Constitutional Law just as you don't have to be in the USA to study American Studies. It is an area of study, not a source of income. If you have, as you say, seen the video you will understand what he says about making trade deals and how they don't just happen at the click of someone's fingers. As you rightly say, we do not need trade deals to trade so I wonder why we should bother at all. Let's just stick to WTO regulations and accept the tariffs that go with them. Clearly all these countries that want to make trade deals with each other are just wasting their time.

The UK has not conducted a unilateral trade deal since before we joined the EU in 1973. The former chief secretary to the FCO was on the radio last week saying that we will need at least 100 people with the experience necessary to conduct these negotiations and in the UK currently we have about 20. We will have to hire in the expertise from ourside the UK - from Europe perhaps - so we may end up in the position of hiring people to come here from the EU to help us to negotiate the consequences of our exit from the EU!!

Anyway, this may all come to nothing because, judging by his column in the Telegraph this morning, Boris is clearly soiling his pants at what he has helped to bring about and talking about taking time to think. Things may hardly change at all once Parliament gets its teeth into this ludicrous situation.

:clap::clap::clap:

I considered responding to the same person who flung a few personal insults my way (eg, 'clown') but decided against it as I just thought I'd be banging my head against the wall, so thanks for doing it for me!

I can handle people holding a different view to my own but I struggle when it is on such an important issue and is driven such motives as jingoistic patriotism with statements like 'Rule Britannia, Britannia rules the waves' (when in reality we haven't a big enough navy to rule the park lake any more), 'Freedom' and 'we are not a slave nation' (having been enslavers for hundreds of years) I feel it has to be challenged. I am a big believer in free speech and the right to hold an opinion of choice but along with that comes the right to be challenged. Hopefully the stronger, truthful and more balanced argument wins out over counter arguments and I would think, Jacko (Jean, I believe), going by your posts you are of a similar view.

anyone listening to bbc radio 5? Reading out texts after texts from Remain voters accusing the majority of voters being racists, with no texts from Out voters.

Wot is the bbc's agenda I wonder in this?

I heard Radio 4 this morning and there were some people interviewed who said they had voted Leave as a protest vote but were shocked at the result and now wished they'd voted Remain! I don't know if the BBC are attempting to present the result as a mistake as they are bound by law to be unbiased but if some people really are shocked at getting what they voted for it beggars belief.

I heard Radio 4 this morning and there were some people interviewed who said they had voted Leave as a protest vote but were shocked at the result and now wished they'd voted Remain! I don't know if the BBC are attempting to present the result as a mistake as they are bound by law to be unbiased but if some people really are shocked at getting what they voted for it beggars belief.

What was that Rolling Stones' song? "You can't always get what you want, but you get what you vote for"

In the ultimate irony, Daily Mail columnist Sarah Vine on Facebook has been asking for the clever people on there to stop moaning and instead make this a positive moment by offering their help and expertise. Yet this is the woman who said prior to the referendum that we had had enough of experts. I would also have hoped she had all the answers anyway as she is Michael Gove's wife!

In the ultimate irony, Daily Mail columnist Sarah Vine on Facebook has been asking for the clever people on there to stop moaning and instead make this a positive moment by offering their help and expertise. Yet this is the woman who said prior to the referendum that we had had enough of experts. I would also have hoped she had all the answers anyway as she is Michael Gove's wife!

No one has the answers yet... because no one really knows the questions

Archived