onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Spectator Comments - Jo Cox

Machinist

Surely a far-right fanatic, killing an MP whilst allegedly shouting Britain First and giving his name in court as 'Death to traitors, freedom for Britain' is a political act, whether you believe he was mentally ill or not? Even if he was mentally ill, can you not see how his susceptibility to commit this kind of act could well have been influenced by some of the hate-filled (yes, JA, I will use that word because that is exactly what has been spouted by certain parties against refugees etc) diatribes by certain types? Even if you personally don't think it has, do you not think it is a reasonable view to take?

Advert

Certainly, yes but it could just as easy been someone carrying the same act against someone like Farage or Boris bred by the hatred from the other side of the fence but what has happened has certainly been milked by the in campaigners and that's what I disagree with.

Surely a far-right fanatic, killing an MP whilst allegedly shouting Britain First and giving his name in court as 'Death to traitors, freedom for Britain' is a political act, whether you believe he was mentally ill or not? Even if he was mentally ill, can you not see how his susceptibility to commit this kind of act could well have been influenced by some of the hate-filled (yes, JA, I will use that word because that is exactly what has been spouted by certain parties against refugees etc) diatribes by certain types? Even if you personally don't think it has, do you not think it is a reasonable view to take?

Could it also be said in this case that the rhetoric from both sides had an influence on him? The thought that his voice wasn't being heard and his views were being washed over by the 'Remain' campaign led to a mentally ill person with paranoid delusions carrying out this heinous act. All the while the 'Leave' side pushing their agenda was also having an influence on him as well.

The referendum campaign has been disgraceful from start to finish. Not from one side, but from both sides. Peddling their lies, agendas, scaremongering has been on the board from day one. Painting forecasts as fact, using figures but not explaining them fully, playing on the fears of ordinary people. It's shocking. I'm almost inclined to go in their and spoil my ballot paper. It'll probably make me feel better about this entire thing. It's been a dark 6 weeks for UK politics in my opinion. There are several MPs that should be extremely ashamed of themselves, along with several news outlets (I include the BBC in that. Trivial matters such as which way David Beckham is voting is not news, and therefore shouldn't be linked from the rolling referendum coverage at least 5 times in 6 hours).

If this EU referendum campaign has led in any way to an MP, wife, daughter and mother being murdered, then may it hang on the people running both campaigns for a long, long time.

Its a shame that this tragic event has been turned in to a political stunt.

it certainly is and confirmed on radio 5 at 3.20pm 2day 'the Remain camp have admitted sending out memos asking supporters to capitalise on the murder of Jo Cox'

After reading that from the far right scum, it as made me change my mind, from leave to remain, that guy is more mental than the scumbag, that took the life away from a young mother, I would sooner the politicians in Brussels, dictate how to run my life, than the far right group, I'm now speaking as a moderate Tory.

Agreed, a vile man . but what has it got 2 do with the Remain HQ sending out memos to supporters asking them to capitalise on the death of Jo Cox?

Absolutely nothing. It was simply another piece of news like yours.

Both sides have done little to cover themselves in glory in this debate. It is tragic that a debate about the future direction of this country should have descended into the sort of toxic atmosphere we have now.

• 5 months later...

Archived