onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Iceland/Greenland

JOHNNYAITCH

Anyone been to either? Looking to book a cruise to Norway, Iceland and Greenland but never been to the last two and don't know anyone that has (the wife has been to Norway before). Are they as "special" as they make themselves out to be? Is a cruise with one day stops at the various towns/cities a good way to see them or would a holiday there be 'better'? I fancy driving in Iceland.

Advert

Anyone been to either? Looking to book a cruise to Norway, Iceland and Greenland but never been to the last two and don't know anyone that has (the wife has been to Norway before). Are they as "special" as they make themselves out to be? Is a cruise with one day stops at the various towns/cities a good way to see them or would a holiday there be 'better'? I fancy driving in Iceland.

I went to Iceland three years ago on a cruise, the scenery was brilliant but beware as the weather in July was cold (about 7 degrees centigrade) and we had loads of rain. The waterfalls are brilliant and you can get really close to them and seeing the gap between the European and North American tectonic plates was amazing.

Jesus, I hope they warn the other passengers and take enough lifebelts. Imagine booking the holiday of a lifetime and turning up to find JA sat next to you at breakfast every morning.

Mrs JA seems OK with it, shes the only one that matters

Not been to Iceland/Norway/Greenland as they're too cold for us but all appear amazing places from stuff I've read and seen on tv.

As for cruise lines the best in our opinion of the "bigger ship lines" are Celebrity and Princess but if you want to push the boat out (no pun intended) take a look at Azamara or Oceana, if you're feeling really flush then Silverseas or Seabourn are suppposed to be top notch. The ships of these latter lines tend to be 30 000 tons or less and access smaller ports, the food is fantastic and they're more intimate but there's not as much entertainment.

A quick search on "Vacationstogo.com" based in Texas shows Seaborn and Holland America amongst others go to your favored destinations, haven;t been on either but Holland America is more for the older set, reputed to have good food and less youngsters. I usually book through Vacations to go and many of my UK based friends have also, they usually do the best deals.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23032

Not been to Iceland/Norway/Greenland as they're too cold for us but all appear amazing places from stuff I've read and seen on tv.

As for cruise lines the best in our opinion of the "bigger ship lines" are Celebrity and Princess but if you want to push the boat out (no pun intended) take a look at Azamara or Oceana, if you're feeling really flush then Silverseas or Seabourn are suppposed to be top notch. The ships of these latter lines tend to be 30 000 tons or less and access smaller ports, the food is fantastic and they're more intimate but there's not as much entertainment.

A quick search on "Vacationstogo.com" based in Texas shows Seaborn and Holland America amongst others go to your favored destinations, haven;t been on either but Holland America is more for the older set, reputed to have good food and less youngsters. I usually book through Vacations to go and many of my UK based friends have also, they usually do the best deals.

http://www.vacationstogo.com/fastdeal.cfm?deal=23032

We will be interested to see if they do Alaskan cruises,we are currently getting quotes in from the big boys.

Dropped on this year.We booked a weeks cruise in April for my father in law's 80th with Princess.It worked out at 3.5k for 3 of us.We received a letter 3 weeks before departure asking if we would cancel.Not best pleased we phoned up.If we agreed ,they were prepared to give us 100% refund PLUS a cruise anywhere in the world 7- 11 days.We picked the Med in September as we didn't want to do a lot of flying.They then offered us upgrades to Mini suites plus a drinks and speciality coffee package.We had to pay for a flight from Rome,which they sorted out for us ,£100 each.(I did complain)lol. Total cost for the new cruise 13k.We pay nothing.The refund has been put on our ship account.£3.5.We have booked 7 trips at all the ports of call and still over £1k left.If we don't spend that we can have the cash back.Now that's what I call a bargain.:)

Dropped on this year.We booked a weeks cruise in April for my father in law's 80th with Princess.It worked out at 3.5k for 3 of us.We received a letter 3 weeks before departure asking if we would cancel.Not best pleased we phoned up.If we agreed ,they were prepared to give us 100% refund PLUS a cruise anywhere in the world 7- 11 days.We picked the Med in September as we didn't want to do a lot of flying.They then offered us upgrades to Mini suites plus a drinks and speciality coffee package.We had to pay for a flight from Rome,which they sorted out for us ,£100 each.(I did complain)lol. Total cost for the new cruise 13k.We pay nothing.The refund has been put on our ship account.£3.5.We have booked 7 trips at all the ports of call and still over £1k left.If we don't spend that we can have the cash back.Now that's what I call a bargain.:)

Dip yer bread Howjy,you dropped on there.I'll have a look at Princess,thanks.

Dip yer bread Howjy,you dropped on there.I'll have a look at Princess,thanks.

We couldn't believe it mate.On the Pacific Princess ,which is one of the smaller ships.Likened to a country club.It looks like they've overbooked.The Alaska cruise was mind blowing.Pre cruise 5 days through the Canadian Rockies then 7 days up the inside passage(excuse me) in Alaska.That was on the Star Princess.I'd love to go back there.Fabulous accommodation and service.:yes:

At the risk of you arguing with what I post I'll try and be nice for once and tell you what I know, having been to Iceland and Norway and worked for a travel company for some years and booked people for all, including Greenland.

You may know a lot of it already, some is obvious but surprisingly overlooked by many.

All three will be far more expensive than you probably imagine, I don't know if you consume alcohol but it is not cheap at all, nor are decent restaurants.

Greenland has a limited amount to offer that is easy to do - if it is going to cost you more than a modest amount extra I'd invest it in Iceland instead. Far more tours, far more to see, remote yet geared to a reasonable level of tourist comfort.

Iceland is more interesting than Norway, yes it is relative to ones expectations, but far more landscape changes and places to visit.

Norway differs a lot between the south, Bergen being similar climate to the north of the UK, but the north of Norway is more than 1000 miles away, the longest country in Europe (not counting Russia) and things like sunset and sunrise times as well as climate and tourist options will also vary dramatically.

Tours of Iceland are good - highly advised instead of driving yourself. Many people are caught out even in places much more popular (Spain, Italy, Germany) by road signs that are not in English. I learnt the German words Rollsplit and Umleitung in a very practical way many years ago. Even with the advent of SatNav, if you miss the Icelandic or Norway equivalent of Umleitung you could regret it (it means diversion). Then there are the 'one-lane bridges' - would you know who had priority and the laws of the road - tricky stuff, and far more animals than sheep decide to use the roads.

Guided tours with accomodation of the inner areas of Iceland will give you far more to see than a cruise, unless you especially like cruises - some good value 'all in tours' even ones including flights from Gatwick are available.

Get as much info as possible from the various tourist offices, make sure passports are up to date and run past the end of the holiday, and flight and other ticket names match the passport exactly, especially any middle names. Insurance is essential if visiting rugged locations. Good maps, medicine, sun cream, insect protection, mobiles, chargers, adaptor plugs and a good camera are other essentials for any of these locations. All standard and obvious really, but so many people forget.

Look out for Bjork,sheep, sulfur fumes at some places and read this site, though don't be put off:-

https://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Iceland/Warnings_or_Dangers-Iceland-TG-C-1.html

As for Norway, having read and looked at a number of reviews before going, I think this Trip Advisor page gives the best advice for a first-time visit -

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g190455-c96226/Norway:First.Time.Visitors.Read.This.html

For Iceland this site below is handy, their home page has some good advice on what clothes to take in summer at the moment, and tons of other useful stuff and suggestions of where to visit etc.-

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/

I do have to admit that Mr H's posts were hugely amusing though.

Archived