onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale v Walsall 'Saddlers following?'

ollyandpatch

Just changing topic....I see the 'playing Port Vale 1st game of the season jinx' has struck again !!!!

I started a thread a few years ago stating that whoever Vale play first game never end the season in the same division !

Only once in the last 8 years has a team either not gone gone up or escaped relegation.

We can add Crewe to the list !!!!!!

So to break the jinx our first game opponents will have to be promoted with us?

Advert

I agree with pretty much everything in that post aside from the fact your direct comparison stats on two games are split by an incredible 10 year period! That's no real valid comparison at all. How many fans were born and died between those years?

Our average gate for that season 2004-05 was virtually identical to what it is at the moment so I thought it was a pretty valid comparison from our point of view.

Talking of away followings, when was the last time we took a 3,000+ away following somewhere for a league match?

My guess would be Wycombe away final game of the promotion season three years ago..

What a fantastic day that was :)

Goes without saying that higher league positions results in much higher home and away followings, both us and Walsall are no different.

In the promotion season of 2012-13 we took some 700+ fans down to the Gillingham, think we beat them 2-1...Yet when I went to see us play there a few weeks ago, we struggled to take even 150 fans!!

Seen us play Walsall at the Bescot Stadium twice before. The one we beat them 2-0 when Popey scored, (took 1,145 that one going off other posts), and I think we drew with them 0-0 in our relegation season in 2007-08 season. Both teams were awful that today. Think we took about 1,000 there that occasion.

Fair point smithie, but in four decades I don't remember you bringing big numbers to us.surely some Nurd on here will have the figures to prove me right or wrong.

Anyway proper rivals. You hate Stoke and we hate the dingles, but neither of them really care about us.

Except Stoke really do care, a lot. How many times have you seen ex Dingles players singing anti Walsall songs with hundreds of their fans joining in, 14 years after you last played one another?

With regards to attendances, away followings etc. I've seen your criticism of our followings to you on here, and on your own site. A lot of other vale fans have already made the points that put a bit more context to the argument. Main thing being, away followings for clubs like ourselves and Walsall are affected by circumstance. The only club I ever really criticise for their away followings are Crewe, 13 miles down the road and usually bring 900. This season it was 500.

We took (estimated) 400 to you a few days before Christmas, on tele, 12pm kick off, and with a more attractive trip to Coventry on Boxing Day to look forward to. I know lads who go every game home and away that were watching the match that day at our golf club.

The only real comparison is when we played at each others grounds on the first days of the season. We took over 2000 to you (I'll have a look for match reports but most don't go back that far) as we filled behind the goal and a few blocks down the side, where as last season you only brought 1145 to us. In reply to REP and the bizarre births and deaths statement, our average home attendance that season was 4973, so est 2000 equals 40% of home fans. For Walsall their average last season was 4392, so 1145 equals 26%.

Kind of puts that myth that our away support to Walsall is far worse than theirs to us to bed.

There were very few empty seats behind the goal

Who was that Numpty of a ref,can't remember his name?

The one who sent off Billy Paynter for celebrating? That was Lee Probert. He was absolutely useless that day.

Talking of away followings, when was the last time we took a 3,000+ away following somewhere for a league match?

When did we last have the option of 3,000 in an away end? We could do it every year at Crewe but there isn't the space. Our official following at Wycombe was 2,828.

My guess would be Wycombe away final game of the promotion season three years ago..

What a fantastic day that was :)

Goes without saying that higher league positions results in much higher home and away followings, both us and Walsall are no different.

In the promotion season of 2012-13 we took some 700+ fans down to the Gillingham, think we beat them 2-1...Yet when I went to see us play there a few weeks ago, we struggled to take even 150 fans!!

Seen us play Walsall at the Bescot Stadium twice before. The one we beat them 2-0 when Popey scored, (took 1,145 that one going off other posts), and I think we drew with them 0-0 in our relegation season in 2007-08 season. Both teams were awful that today. Think we took about 1,000 there that occasion.

Did we take 3,000 to wolves?

Archived