onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sheffield U 1 Port Vale 0, post match comments

Fosse69

Advert

Been saying it for over a month, but labelled negative. Mid table mediocrity here we come.

Thank god for our home form, even if that hss been ropey too the last 3 games

Mid table position was a nailed on certainty from the start of the season. You may have been saying it for a month, but the more objective and rational supporters will not be surprised. Anyone who thought and maybe still thinks we're candidates for the playoffs are just deluding themselves!

I don't even think we were that good in the first two thirds of the pitch either. Our decision making and our execution was poor. The only thing that made us look good was that we had plenty of the ball, because they didn't press us and let us have plenty of it.

Yet another game without a shot on target!

Yet people believe Page is doing a good job!

WAKE UP PEOPLE

Not sure if he is doing a good job but he certainly isn't doing a bad job

What i am sure about is that i know as soon as we lose people like yourself will be on the thread with your Page outs

A more serious question has to be; away from home, is it psychological, lack of confidence, the way we're set-up or a combination of all these factors? Thank goodness we've seen a much better level of performance at Vale Park so far this season and will hopefully continue to see this over the last remaining games. I've been to 5 away matches and we just seem to be a different team to the one I see at home irrespective of the actual personnel on the park!

You would replace him with??? come up with a viable answer and we might partly agree with you....oh and i would say if Smurf was in charge it would be Adams should Page go to another team

That's the most pertinent question of all. I personally don't believe we'd be any closer to the playoffs irrespective of the manager. Our squad matches our league position and is mediocre. A different manager would not have had the funds to be able to put together a potentially promotable team. I'm not being defeatist just realistic. Page is going nowhere this side of new ownership so I wish people would accept that.

That's the most sensible post so far.

Our biggest problem by a mile is our lack of goalscoring power, we knew it before the first game in August and although Page has and is trying to rectify it he hasn't managed it yet. If - IF - we have new owners (or a change of heart from Smurf) who will finance the required improvements I don't think we're a million miles from a side who can challenge in this division. However, this season we are a mid table side and that's not bad considering how we finished last season coupled with the bookies predictions of our relegation come May.

Yes, there's lots of room for improvement on the pitch but let's keep it in perspective, too many posters on here just moan, moan, moan about everything in an unconstructive manner. Not being a pessimistic gloom and doom merchant does not mean you're a happy clapper either.

Personally I'm looking forward to next Friday night, hopefully a good performance and 3 points against Southend followed by a night out in the pubs of Burslem.

(....... let the slagging off of my post and me personally begin....)

Great post. Totally agree. Too much negativity on here constantly.

I Remember standing at Newcastle Town for the friendly and we all agreed that all we needed was a goal scorer and we'd have a decent starting 11. We've not acquired that goalscorer and aren't going to now but there have been positives, beaten once at home being the most obvious.

Personally, I can see smurthwaite still at the helm come August and we need to be prepared for that and be as positive as we can. The season ticket deals on offer at the moment are excellent, I'm telling as many people I can about them, I'm sure every one else on her is doing the same.

Bring on Friday, I love a Friday night game , mainly because most of us are full of beer! Up the Vale.

One thing is for sure Page said he needed to sort the defence out as we had been shipping goals for the last few seasons or more,now we all have players in the back four who we think shouldn't be there BUT this season he has done that.....he has vastly improved our home form that cannot be denied,so a positive i will take is hopefully next season he will do that with our away form and our goal scoring problems

Great call on P and G from Mark, summed today's efforts up well. But more pointing were his comments on Vales size of squad, we have around 10 players in the squad who for one reason or another will not feature, surely it's better to have smaller squad with more quality. Simples.

My own take is Page panicked and gave two many a contract, when he did not know what players would be coming in to the team. I would fully expects good rid out pre season, he has no excuse now, if he wants to stay then get more quality players, and still do it within budget restraints.

Agree with that. As unwelcome as Smurfs comments were you could actually make quite a dent in the £800k reduction he mentioned without affecting the match day squad, or even better, spend the same and add quality.

A more serious question has to be; away from home, is it psychological, lack of confidence, the way we're set-up or a combination of all these factors? Thank goodness we've seen a much better level of performance at Vale Park so far this season and will hopefully continue to see this over the last remaining games. I've been to 5 away matches and we just seem to be a different team to the one I see at home irrespective of the actual personnel on the park!

it's the tactics if the personnel don't make a difference

I feel this season will be the last of us being competitive in this league. We went to to toe with an expensive Sheffield United squad and yet we are still found lacking. It is clear Smurf will be cutting the budget further than already and frankly Page is the least of our weaknesses.

If someone buys the club with money to invest then yes, we should look at changing managers to spend that investment. However with what we have had this year, I don't think many could have done any better.

We certainly get better value from Page than Sheff United have had on the £500k per year Adkins.

If you dont have shots on target you dont win football games.

We may pick up enough points with Page in charge this season, next season, season after etc..... But because the football is dire more often than not, fans will slowly drift away even more.

More than ever our product is a business. And the product is toothless.

The club is not sustainable to mediocre pretty triangle passing without getting the fans excited.

We all knew we needed a striker but more worryingly it seems we needed a creative player. That being said, if you play snailpace buildup football and do not give the players licence to create or even shoot, then we shouldnt expect anything else.

I can handle losing, but the amount of games we have lost in such a soft manner (to quote Micky Adams "roll over and have our bellies tickled") has to go down to the management and strict, discipline setup of trying not to concede and then when we do, having no plan B whatsoever.

Archived