onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Sheffield U 1 Port Vale 0, post match comments

Fosse69

He ain't a central midfielder or a striker though. He's a winger or nothing' date=' that's obvious.[/quote']

Maybe so, and as I say I'm not defending him but his movement suggests he's being asked to play a certain role when we have the ball at the back which doesn't seem to fit with a proper 4-4-2 with wingers. I think ultimately Page knows there's no point in getting down the wing and whacking the ball in the box. So he's trying to create a system that should allow us to play football through the wingers. Problem is we only really seem to have Kennedy who can carry the ball. Oh for Andoh back.............

Advert

Pope got 12 in 36 games last year. The last time I checked the rules of football goals scored in cup games do count. Of course he had a bad injury and missed many games and wasn't fully 100% when he came back.

You can't compare AJ and Pope because they're two completely different players.

Uche was supposed to be Pope's replacement. AJ replaced Williamson. BW got 9 in 47 games last year.

Apart from his goals we miss Pope's ability to hold up the ball, win some headers and ruffle a few feathers in the opposition box, giving other players a bit more time and freedom.

We very badly miss a player like him and have done all season.

If some of you can't see that then you mustn't attend any games.

Sadly, no matter who we've picked in attack only AJ has looked decent and we have never fully replaced the three forwards who left last year. AJ has been a real bonus and wasn't even considered first choice last August. It's a good job he has come to the party because without his goals we'd be planning trips to Barnet and Hartlepool already.

I've been to plenty and Pope is bang average for League One. He'd get in our team alongside AJ and that would actually be a decent partnership on paper, but to say that we actually miss him based on his performances and goals return in the league last season is a massive over-statement.

What we need along with another striker is a bit of creativity in midfield. Connor, Foley and to a lesser extent Grant are all tidy players but none of them really create, and none of them score enough goals, though with Grant you obviously don't expect him to as that's not his job at all. Byron Moore, and this isn't personal of course, just isn't good enough for this level of football. He offers next to nothing going forward, looks devoid of confidence and for a wide player never seems to beat a full-back. Louis Dodds is another who despite a decent game now and again is very lucky to have had such a long career at the club, as for the majority he's not been good enough.

It say's an awful lot that Leitch-Smith has been arguably our best player for a while now, when the truth is most of us thought it as a very average signing in the summer and didn't see him as anything other than a back-up player! Some credit goes to him of course, but it also shows how little we have in the side going forward.

A lot has been said already that I would say about the game. We decided to go at the last minute and missed kick off but in all honesty I probably wish I'd saved my money. Those 90 minutes summed up our season so far, lack of creativity, lack of goals, a crucial defensive lapse, and most of all even when we're up against it a forward who can cause problems up top.

At times this season, mainly at home, we've passed the ball and controlled games but when it comes to having any kind of goal threat we look like we have to try twice as hard as any other team to get a chance. Ajay and Theo were terrible on Saturday and I'm yet to be convinced by Theo Robinson. Perhaps he needs a bigger target man striker alongside him just as much as Ajay but one things for sure, he doesn't look up to it (yet). The two run around a lot, have a good touch and technique but never ever look like they're going to score a goal. Ajay's had his little purple patch and now the goals have dried up his strike partner looks even less likely to score. Plus when we're on the back foot you need someone in and around that penalty area that has the instinct and ability to pick something out when we're up against it. How many games this year have we played well and lost compared to played poorly and won? That's a lot down to what happens up top.

In midfield we looked controlled yet unable to really carve out a chance. Kennedy looks likely and put in some good crosses but that was about our lot. I thought Byron always does well in terms of covering ground and supporting Purkiss but in going forward he seems to lack huge amounts of confidence and I do fear for his future now. If this is as much as we're going to get out of him, then he's not a league one winger. Foley is workmanlike but his passing was way off yet we always do look better balanced with him in over O'Connor so who knows how to solve that one.

At the back McGivern gets some unfair stick but Duffy has sat out large parts of his Vale career on the bench due to the fact he used to be mistake prone and thats where Blondie struggles. He seems to lack awareness as a defender and being neither quick nor amazing in the air means he really doesn't look comfortable. Add to that Duffs looks more confident alongside Inniss (and Streete when they've played) then it's an area we still need to sort out. We don't concede many but they are crucial goals when we struggle up top.

Anyways, play offs are definitely gone now, realistically 10 points-ish behind and looking ever more poor both at home and away from home. A top half finish is probably our best aim now and top 10 would be good.

Finally as for Page I am fully behind him at the moment. People seem to criticise him for some areas that really aren't his fault. A lot of the time I agree with his team selections but then they don't perform on the pitch. If we'd been able to play a 10 yard ball better on Saturday consistently it could have been a different game but our League One players are so inconsistent with their performances it's unreal at times. His substitutions can leave a little to be desired as he is very safe and rarely switches up the formation to try and turn games and we are yet to see if he can really solve both the defensive frailties and attacking problems. BUT... we are playing better football, have improved greatly at the back, have brought in some good young talent and we are probably going to finish somewhere where our budget should suggest we finish. I'd quite happily see how he does until the end of the season now and see what baby steps we can make with this squad towards solving those issues. If the budget is cut in the summer so badly it will be a big ask for Pagey but do we wan't to be taking management gambles when you look at our recent history of appointments in Sinnott, Gannon, Glover...??

An excellent post Steve. Sums up my thoughts as well. Your post about Byron as well is spot on. Everybody that has played on that wing under Page tucks in a lot. It suggests a tactical decision and not a personal one.

Surely there must be one young lad who is playing in the u21's and is desperate to come to play some league games. A huge striker who actually wins headers because we have the pace on the wings to get past opposition it's just getting the ball in the box and the likes of AJ and Hooper are not going to win headers in my opinion.

I'm not sure I agree on the Pope statements, looking at his record (if I've found the right stats) there is nothing to suggest he would be anything more than average in this league. For the Vale I've got (this is appearances over entire seasons, & not just league goals):

3 in 13 (L2)

5 in 45 (L2)

33 in 51 (L2)

16 in 51 (L1)

12 in 36 (L1)

Might not be perfect stats, as different sources give slightly different figures, but the only time he's ever hit 20+ goals (total, never mind just league) in a season was in L2 when we were promoted. There is nothing to say he is a proven L1 player either, & yeah 16 is alright, but we'd have that in AJ over a full season anyway. He also might be a decent partner alongside AJ in our current side, but I think the issue surrounding goals for us is more deep rooted than just a striker. Our midfield & defence really haven't stepped up this season to add goals.

Saturday I thought some of the play was alright, & we do get forward a fair bit, but when we do, we actually do nothing with the ball in terms of turning play in their half into shots/chances. Just very toothless, & that's basically been our entire season away. We haven't even scored 3 in a game in the league away, and have the joint least amount of goals away.

I'm not sure I agree on the Pope statements, looking at his record (if I've found the right stats) there is nothing to suggest he would be anything more than average in this league. For the Vale I've got (this is appearances over entire seasons, & not just league goals):

3 in 13 (L2)

5 in 45 (L2)

33 in 51 (L2)

16 in 51 (L1)

12 in 36 (L1)

Might not be perfect stats, as different sources give slightly different figures, but the only time he's ever hit 20+ goals (total, never mind just league) in a season was in L2 when we were promoted. There is nothing to say he is a proven L1 player either, & yeah 16 is alright, but we'd have that in AJ over a full season anyway. He also might be a decent partner alongside AJ in our current side, but I think the issue surrounding goals for us is more deep rooted than just a striker. Our midfield & defence really haven't stepped up this season to add goals.

IMHO Popey (or a Pope type player) together with AJ would certainly be a goal threat in Lge 1, they would complement (a la Toshack/Keegan in Div 1) and improve each other. With Hooper or Robinson, AJ is playing with more of an athlete than a footballer.

Agree Vale need more goals from elsewhere in the team especially from set pieces, can't put my finger on whether it's poor delivery or a lack of positioning/technique attacking the ball in the box.

IMHO Popey (or a Pope type player) together with AJ would certainly be a goal threat in Lge 1, they would complement (a la Toshack/Keegan in Div 1) and improve each other. With Hooper or Robinson, AJ is playing with more of an athlete than a footballer.

Agree Vale need more goals from elsewhere in the team especially from set pieces, can't put my finger on whether it's poor delivery or a lack of positioning/technique attacking the ball in the box.

I think it's down to believe I don't think we think we can score from a corner .

How many did we have sat a fair few i think we deserved a equaliser for effort alone but like I say quality costs money .

AJLS surprised me with how poor he was ,Robinson the same ,Hooper at least held it up and played a part in Mcgiverns effort .

We need a striker get the buckets out and let's buy our own a Kevin Francis type .

With him in our team or even Popey I'm durex we be in the top six ,we ain't that fat away I don't think I applauded them off v Fleetwood and Sheffield the efforts but we need some hungry forward to put it in the onion bag .

We ain't the only ones most teams do

I think it's down to believe I don't think we think we can score from a corner .

How many did we have sat a fair few i think we deserved a equaliser for effort alone but like I say quality costs money .

AJLS surprised me with how poor he was ,Robinson the same ,Hooper at least held it up and played a part in Mcgiverns effort .

We need a striker get the buckets out and let's buy our own a Kevin Francis type .

With him in our team or even Popey I'm durex we be in the top six ,we ain't that fat away I don't think I applauded them off v Fleetwood and Sheffield the efforts but we need some hungry forward to put it in the onion bag .

We ain't the only ones most teams do

Predictive text lol far not fat sure not durex lmao

On the theme of needing to score more goals I watched Shrews vs Man U last night, the most evident issue was Shrewsbury's lack of a cutting edge up front, they were as woeful as woeful gets in the Man U half of the field. I get it's Man U with better players and better organisation but unless Vale address the goal scoring sityation the bottom four beckons next season.

Archived