onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rivalry, Banter and Armchairs

Tenement Funster

Advert

I've posted this on 'The Wonder' Facebook page but thought I'd share an experience of mine from the weekend on here and see how others would react. I went into a well known Sofa store yesterday and within 2 minutes of being in there a salesman approached me. Instead of the usual gumf he commented on the 'dirt' on my top (Vale hoodie) and proceeded to tell me how he was shocked we'd won away on Saturday. I gave him a bit back and left the store quite shocked how a salesman trying to sell pretty high priced goods would even dare to do something like that.

Maybe I'm a bit over the top but I'm the kind of person who doesn't use Bet 365, save money with Britannia or even wear much red so I acknowledge I'm probably more sensitive to the local rivalry than most but I really was surprised how someone would dare to comment on that. Yes it was a bit of banter but he certainly talked himself out of a sale. He didn't know me or know how I'd react and it was the very first thing he said to me, no welcoming comments to begin with. I've considered writing a letter of complaint but I'm not one for making an unecessary fuss but would be interested to see how others would have reacted to this? Just banter back and buy what you wanted, or walk out?

The salesman is lucky he doesn't work in a call centre, where all calls are recorded, routinely marked and all breaks, time on and off, percentage time available etc. and manner, politeness etc all are marked and checked all the time. Definate letter of complaint, and send it to the top not just some scuzzy store manager who will take no notice. Ask for a reply and a written apology too.

I've posted this on 'The Wonder' Facebook page but thought I'd share an experience of mine from the weekend on here and see how others would react. I went into a well known Sofa store yesterday and within 2 minutes of being in there a salesman approached me. Instead of the usual gumf he commented on the 'dirt' on my top (Vale hoodie) and proceeded to tell me how he was shocked we'd won away on Saturday. I gave him a bit back and left the store quite shocked how a salesman trying to sell pretty high priced goods would even dare to do something like that.

Maybe I'm a bit over the top but I'm the kind of person who doesn't use Bet 365, save money with Britannia or even wear much red so I acknowledge I'm probably more sensitive to the local rivalry than most but I really was surprised how someone would dare to comment on that. Yes it was a bit of banter but he certainly talked himself out of a sale. He didn't know me or know how I'd react and it was the very first thing he said to me, no welcoming comments to begin with. I've considered writing a letter of complaint but I'm not one for making an unecessary fuss but would be interested to see how others would have reacted to this? Just banter back and buy what you wanted, or walk out?

In all seriousness though, whilst I'd be tempted to complain (and you'd be justified), having not done so at the time unless there is some evidence or he admits it, it's your word against his and in this situation his employers should back him 100%....so I would just let it drop and not go back there.

Employers have a responsibility to back their employees when the employee denies any wrongdoing.....even if the victim and the perp know it happened.

"Ha ha sir. Your wit is outstanding. Look I have visited this establishment in order to purchase some seating arrangement. And look here, I have a wallet with a rather large sum .... which I'm not going to give you. Good day."

Actually I would have given him some banter back like, when you go bust we'll see you in the lower leagues again. Or, do you remember signing Vince Hilaire? Then get yourself a massive discount.

I would probably have chatted politely for a while until I got bored and then walked out and never returned, assuming he was on commission. Would find somewhere else to buy my goods from. Would mention it to any Vale fan who was considering using the same shop. Banter is OK in it's place but I expect and return politeness when I am potentially spending money with someone I don't know.

If you know the person I would laugh it off,if the person/salesperson was working in a professional capacity and I didnt know them I would certainly let my feelings be known and walk out.

I would do this regardless of football rivalries, but if it was a stoke related incident I would enjoy it even more.

A customer looking to spend hard earned money should be treated with respect and politeness regardless of colour religion and football affinity.

Come Tenement name and shame.

He sounds like the sort of bloke you'd do your best to move away from in the pub, let alone give him several hundred pounds.

As the great English philosopher and lyricist Tim Burgess once noted on Twitter, "The worst word in the English language? Banter. Stealth rudeness used by díckheads. Don't be offended if you use it though, it's just banter".

So I wouldn't have bothered giving any back. Whether or not the company involved deserve your custom (or at the very least your feedback) is something you need to have a think about. Don't be a martyr to yourself if there's a settee there you really want. At least let someone else get the commission.

He was trying to generate a little rapport viz the Vale but went way beyond that when commenting on the "dirt on the hoddie". I would have given him some back and depending on his reaction would have either walked out or if he took it well stayed and assertively negotiated the price down, then either bought or walked away.

Good salesmen develop rapport they don't engage in banter.

Archived