onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Rivalry, Banter and Armchairs

Tenement Funster

He was trying to generate a little rapport viz the Vale but went way beyond that when commenting on the "dirt on the hoddie". I would have given him some back and depending on his reaction would have either walked out or if he took it well stayed and assertively negotiated the price down, then either bought or walked away.

Good salesmen develop rapport they don't engage in banter.

I agree!!I had a pleasant lad serving us, late on Saturday, in Aldi at Tunstall.He was praising Vale up, when he saw my Vale badge on my coat.No nastiness at all.

Advert

I think that whatever you decide, you should tell us the name of the store so that at least the not inconsequential number of readers of this thread will know not to use that shop so you will at least have the satisfaction of costing them some business.

Maybe also then facebook what you have done and if someone senior from that company sees it (quite likely) they will make sure it doesn't happen again I would say.

I had a similar situation at a local supermarket recently where I had bought the wrong item, and when I returned it a snotty and patronising know-all on customer services (what a joke title!) refused to let me change it. Not wishing to cut off my nose to spite my face, I went and bought the item I should have got originally but then had trouble with the self-scan checkout.

A really nice lady I have spoken to before helped me, then said 'Are you ok- you look upset' and I told her the tale and she arranged the change for me at no charge - which was really great service and with a smile too.

I should have walked out feeling good, but the delightful and lovely woman on customer services had a big smirk as I walked past on the way out, and I couldn't resist the chance to wipe it off her smug face, and said 'Glad you look pleased- one of your colleagues actually knows what customer service means and changed my item for me'.

She practically exploded and demanded to know who had changed it, and then went red with anger when I innocently replied 'That's for me to know, and you to find out' - it was a truly satisfying experience to see her rage and know that not only had I got my way, but that I had punished bad service. I'm not sure whether to complain by letter as well, will probably let it go.

You could have smacked him in the mouth, and told him to

stop being a little Stoke Bitch ( The Houston Rap scene rubbing off me) , and to behave himself. Or you could have

told him that there was a sale on XXXL Shirts down at the wind tunnel.

The best one would be to tell him to subside and keep looking around until someone intelligent came to help you.

All of which are great ideas after the fact. :upthevale:

I think that whatever you decide, you should tell us the name of the store so that at least the not inconsequential number of readers of this thread will know not to use that shop so you will at least have the satisfaction of costing them some business.

Maybe also then facebook what you have done and if someone senior from that company sees it (quite likely) they will make sure it doesn't happen again I would say.

I had a similar situation at a local supermarket recently where I had bought the wrong item, and when I returned it a snotty and patronising know-all on customer services (what a joke title!) refused to let me change it. Not wishing to cut off my nose to spite my face, I went and bought the item I should have got originally but then had trouble with the self-scan checkout.

A really nice lady I have spoken to before helped me, then said 'Are you ok- you look upset' and I told her the tale and she arranged the change for me at no charge - which was really great service and with a smile too.

I should have walked out feeling good, but the delightful and lovely woman on customer services had a big smirk as I walked past on the way out, and I couldn't resist the chance to wipe it off her smug face, and said 'Glad you look pleased- one of your colleagues actually knows what customer service means and changed my item for me'.

She practically exploded and demanded to know who had changed it, and then went red with anger when I innocently replied 'That's for me to know, and you to find out' - it was a truly satisfying experience to see her rage and know that not only had I got my way, but that I had punished bad service. I'm not sure whether to complain by letter as well, will probably let it go.

Good for you..as you suggested let's get the name of that store too..the "OVF anti poor customer service" campaign starts here

Good for you..as you suggested let's get the name of that store too..the "OVF anti poor customer service" campaign starts here

Its not quite the same though in my case, as the lady that helped me and got the item changed also worked for the store which proves they do have some redeeming qualities and it may just be a case of the person on customer services being the problem.

In the interests of fairness I wouldn't want the helpful lady to be tarred with the same brush. Suffice to say it wasn't Waitrose, and I have decided to write to the company but praise the helpful person as well as complain about the rude one.

I did have cause to complain to Waitrose once when they failed to update their closing time on their web site and caused me a wasted journey - and got no less than a £25 voucher back with apologies - true class by them, and their staff are exemplary and near perfect in being both friendly and helpful.

I've posted this on 'The Wonder' Facebook page but thought I'd share an experience of mine from the weekend on here and see how others would react. I went into a well known Sofa store yesterday and within 2 minutes of being in there a salesman approached me. Instead of the usual gumf he commented on the 'dirt' on my top (Vale hoodie) and proceeded to tell me how he was shocked we'd won away on Saturday. I gave him a bit back and left the store quite shocked how a salesman trying to sell pretty high priced goods would even dare to do something like that.

Maybe I'm a bit over the top but I'm the kind of person who doesn't use Bet 365, save money with Britannia or even wear much red so I acknowledge I'm probably more sensitive to the local rivalry than most but I really was surprised how someone would dare to comment on that. Yes it was a bit of banter but he certainly talked himself out of a sale. He didn't know me or know how I'd react and it was the very first thing he said to me, no welcoming comments to begin with. I've considered writing a letter of complaint but I'm not one for making an unecessary fuss but would be interested to see how others would have reacted to this? Just banter back and buy what you wanted, or walk out?

This has to be be a wind up. I refuse to accept anyone is this pathetic in real life.

Its not quite the same though in my case, as the lady that helped me and got the item changed also worked for the store which proves they do have some redeeming qualities and it may just be a case of the person on customer services being the problem.

In the interests of fairness I wouldn't want the helpful lady to be tarred with the same brush. Suffice to say it wasn't Waitrose, and I have decided to write to the company but praise the helpful person as well as complain about the rude one.

I did have cause to complain to Waitrose once when they failed to update their closing time on their web site and caused me a wasted journey - and got no less than a £25 voucher back with apologies - true class by them, and their staff are exemplary and near perfect in being both friendly and helpful.

I get your point but the same could be said that at the sofa store that all the other staff are great..let's know which store has someone who treated you so badly..OVFers can then decide how they wish to respond.

Archived