onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Gordon banks

Howjy04

On a more serious note,the great Gordon Banks has been diagnosed with kidney cancer.I recently had a chat with him at the doctors.I told him my grandson,a goalie,always wants to see his save against Pele.He said he thought he might be rembered for that save.He gave me his autograph for the youngun.True gentleman.Get well soon.

Advert

Just so sad to hear that the great goalkeeping legend is suffering from cancer for the second time.A true great and a gentleman too.He has achieved the one goal that none of the so called post 1966 England superstars haven't yet!!WON THE WORLD CUP.The likes of that team will never happen again.Fingers crossed for Gordon in the hope that he makes a recovery again.Our thoughts are with you great man.

Banks upholds how Professional footballers should behave. For someone who really never had anything to do with Seventies football I hear that those players, (such as the 70's Stoke stars) were gents in their day.

Nowadays at the top of football we have overpaid arrogant PreMadonnas...Can someone state I am wrong and state why?

Just so sad to hear that the great goalkeeping legend is suffering from cancer for the second time.A true great and a gentleman too.He has achieved the one goal that none of the so called post 1966 England superstars haven't yet!!WON THE WORLD CUP.The likes of that team will never happen again.Fingers crossed for Gordon in the hope that he makes a recovery again.Our thoughts are with you great man.

Not sure how many people also remember that Gordon Banks very nearly became Vale manager at one point. I think it was late 70's around the Smith / Butler / Bloor time, when the club was in a bit of a sorry state.

I wish Gordon Banks well, and hope he can find the strength for his battle, a wonderful man who has the right to be proud of his career.

Banks upholds how Professional footballers should behave. For someone who really never had anything to do with Seventies football I hear that those players, (such as the 70's Stoke stars) were gents in their day.

Nowadays at the top of football we have overpaid arrogant PreMadonnas...Can someone state I am wrong and state why?

You are not wrong, a large number (though definitely not all) of modern day footballers just have too much money, and see themselves as celebrities and above the normal fans that pay through the nose for their lavish undeserved lifestyle.

The ones I am talking about have little loyalty to club or country in many cases and need to do some proper work, most of those of us that are stupid enough to pay a relatively large slice of our available income to subsidise their flash goods would have been delighted to play football for the sort of wages that players got in the 1960's and before - or even for free.

The highest paid footballers (and other sportspeople) who don't give anything back to the fans and their clubs (and by that I mean they should go to schools, be willing to talk to fans, promote charities and much more - and I know some do) are as bad as the overpaid top bankers who leech their way through life at the expense of the rest of us.

Brilliant pass by Carlos Alberto with the outside of the right foot (inside Terry Cooper) to Jairzhino running at full speed, tremendous cross on the run to Pele, brilliant leap and downward header by Pele, incredible, unbelievable save by Banks, the best piece of sporting action in any sport ever, pure brilliance by all 4 players involved.

Bank's positional sense in goal was the best ever, most times he came off the pitch clean having had no need to dive for the ball, best thyere's ever been in goal for me.

Get better fella.

I hope he manages to overcome his illness. Certainly a different calibre of person.

Use to live near me and he kids went to my school when I was growing up, even taught me goalkeeping skills once or twice for Loggerheads Lions along with Roger Smith.

Gordon Banks was a childhood hero. He had a rivalry with Lev Yashin to be the best goalkeeper in the world. His save from Pele in Mexico in1970 remains widely regarded as the finest save of all time. In the early 1970's his car crash was a moment of great sadness in the Potteries effectively ending his career. I hope he can have the best outcome possible in this situation with the least distress and discomfort.

Archived