onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Popes Sentinel Column

Spunk Trumpet

I can't be the only one who is sick and tired of reading what Tom thinks every week.

Today he is backing Adam Yates over losing his number 2 shirt, calling it disrespectful.

Yes, i know he is a fan but he isn't Mr. Port Vale.

He moved on.

We have moved on.

In a few years time i will be delighted to hear his opinions in the local newspaper. But not weeks after he left for a rival club to get more money.

Agree 100%, Spunkers. If Popey is so concerned about his mate, Adam Yates, why doesn't he hand over his column to him - a local player with journalistic pretensions? Ideal solution all round and we would then get first hand stories rather than second hand tittle tattle.

Advert

For goodness sake! It's called fictional heightening.

Pope is under contract to the Sentinel. The Sentinel wants to sell papers to make money; hence controversial stories are chosen and then a version of events is embellished and elaborated on.

Suckers read the story, and then talk, moan, complain, over-react!

The Sentinel makes sales and walks to the nearest bank laughing at all the gullible fallout . :doh:

I think some on here know it better as 'trolling'

Tom should keep his nose out of Vale affairs now and his mate Yates is only a squad member.He is a lucky young man to get a new contract and squad number.He should stop moaning and do his talking on the pitch!!Oh,Tom is also Vale Past!!!!!Footballers:doh:

Agree 100%, Spunkers. If Popey is so concerned about his mate, Adam Yates, why doesn't he hand over his column to him - a local player with journalistic pretensions? Ideal solution all round and we would then get first hand stories rather than second hand tittle tattle.

Well put, as always. Whilst he was a PVFC employee, Tom had to be "respectful" about what he said to the press and in his column. Now he is playing for a rival club, perhaps he should respectfully keep his distance.

Love him as a player, but I'm not sure I'm too keen to hear his views in the Sentinel. He can share them on Twitter, as always.

For goodness sake! It's called fictional heightening.

Pope is under contract to the Sentinel. The Sentinel wants to sell papers to make money; hence controversial stories are chosen and then a version of events is embellished and elaborated on.

Suckers read the story, and then talk, moan, complain, over-react!

The Sentinel makes sales and walks to the nearest bank laughing at all the gullible fallout . :doh:

I think some on here know it better as 'trolling'

The Sentinel make no money from me. I havent bought a copy in years with living abroad.

My issue is i like to follow the local news back home so i follow the sentinel on twitter.

I am sick to death of them plugging Popeys column every week. They do it and i follow Tideswell and Baggaley. They do it.

Tom may be contracted to the sentinel with his column but that contract should be cancelled.

I, and many others, it seems, have absolutely no interest in what Tom has to say. I havent read any of his columns in full apart from this one today as i knew he would put his nose in it.

I stopped following one sentinel guy on twitter the other week when they had a picture of him at Castle Town! Again, i dont care about him watching us. Not interested one bit.

I dont wish Tom any harm. I sincerely hope he bags 20+ at Bury, and they lose twice to us of course. Im not knocking the FACT he left us for more money.

Other players have got slaughtered for doing that in the past.

But he is now a Bury player. Go and tell the Bury fans what they want to hear.

Can you imagine in a couple of weeks time what his column will be?.........

"Great result for Vale on Saturday. I heard they played really well blah blah blah. Its a testement to blah blah blah. When i was striker there blah blah blah. We got a good result this week. Its strange being in a Bury shirt blah blah blah but im happy to be off the mark blah blah blah"

I don't care!!!

Pointless column which, after todays events, is causing more harm than good.

Yatesy isnt happy with his squad number? Leave.

Birchall wasnt happy with his wage? Leave.

Tom did. I just wish he would stay out of affairs that are none of his business anymore.

I wonder how the Stokies would react if Asmir Begovic was writing a column for the Senile stirring up rubbish with tittle tattle from his ex team mates?

And that's exactly why they are doing it.....and poor Tom has fallen for it.

If all Vale fans just ignored it, chances are Toms Column in the Stokinel would soon disappear.

Unbelievable a thread where nearly everyone agrees

Well let's not disappoint then.... there are about 5 posts that understand what is going on here, namely that a newspaper is doing its job and making news out of nothing at a time when there isn't any.

If it offends... don't read the Sentinel. But Tom Pope is a Port Vale fan and is writing his column as one, he was at one of Vale's friendlies and if you ask him which club he supports you know what his answer will be.

In fact, he is able to write freely as a Vale fan now that he does not play for the club, and say things he would not have been able to say as a Vale employee - some of these things we may not like, but it is very interesting to see the way he thinks and he has a unique insight no ordinary Vale fan can have.

As for Yates, firstly I agree with the poster who is glad he is upset to lose his place and not just content to pick up his wage. The thing with the number on the shirt is a nothing story, and loads of people have been suckered into being interested in it - I'd bet Yates is not really upset much about the number, but about the place in the side.

The Sentinel must be very pleased at getting so many mentions on OVF - they have done their job well in that respect.

In terms of general interest it is a 3 out of 10 item, the friendly at Alty a 4 out of 10, the opening game at Crewe a 9 out of 10.

Archived