onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Popes Sentinel Column

Spunk Trumpet

He's a Vale fan, so he gets to write a column in the local newspaper? We're all Port Vale supporters, so why aren't we being contacted to publish our thoughts? We have just as much right to as he does? It's not as if he's talking about secret stuff either. He's passing comment on stuff all of us would be capable of doing.

Advert

Well let's not disappoint then.... there are about 5 posts that understand what is going on here, namely that a newspaper is doing its job and making news out of nothing at a time when there isn't any.

If it offends... don't read the Sentinel. But Tom Pope is a Port Vale fan and is writing his column as one, he was at one of Vale's friendlies and if you ask him which club he supports you know what his answer will be.

In fact, he is able to write freely as a Vale fan now that he does not play for the club, and say things he would not have been able to say as a Vale employee - some of these things we may not like, but it is very interesting to see the way he thinks and he has a unique insight no ordinary Vale fan can have.

As for Yates, firstly I agree with the poster who is glad he is upset to lose his place and not just content to pick up his wage. The thing with the number on the shirt is a nothing story, and loads of people have been suckered into being interested in it - I'd bet Yates is not really upset much about the number, but about the place in the side.

The Sentinel must be very pleased at getting so many mentions on OVF - they have done their job well in that respect.

In terms of general interest it is a 3 out of 10 item, the friendly at Alty a 4 out of 10, the opening game at Crewe a 9 out of 10.

Your wrong. He is a paid professional footballer playing for a rival club in the same division. He has every right to an opinion but it should not be in the paper. It's disrespectful to the club and can cause friction within the fan base. Like jacko51 says, he should hand the column over to another local lad who plays for Vale or just walk away.

Making news? There's one of these every week so it isn't making news. I thought it was bad enough him commenting on matters last season, I remember an article he wrote saying campion isn't good enough; again which he had to right to do. Just because he is a fan dosent mean he can keep writing these articles commenting on our players. I went a couple of friendlys as well, another irrelevant point... He plays for bury and should focus there. I honestly don't understand why he's still got his articles.

As davidatpreston said above, Sentinel are doing really well out of this non story. Which is their aim. Nothing wrong with a Vale fan writing for the Sentinel, I like reading Phil Sherwins reports, he is a Vale fan.

So am I... I personally think it is wrong for a different clubs plays to comment on port vale matters.

He's a Vale fan, so he gets to write a column in the local newspaper? We're all Port Vale supporters, so why aren't we being contacted to publish our thoughts? We have just as much right to as he does? It's not as if he's talking about secret stuff either. He's passing comment on stuff all of us would be capable of doing.

But you are not - because you are not a Vale player, now ex-Vale with his unique perspective on things.

The column creates interest - like it or loathe it, that tired old cliché is still true, that there is no such thing as bad publicity - and if the Sentinel had a column written by Desperate Dan there wouldn't be a long thread with loads of replies - unless you are a star writer and I have failed to spot that, if so my apologies.

The existence of this thread and the number of posts proves my point.

Making news? There's one of these every week so it isn't making news. I thought it was bad enough him commenting on matters last season, I remember an article he wrote saying campion isn't good enough; again which he had to right to do. Just because he is a fan dosent mean he can keep writing these articles commenting on our players. I went a couple of friendlys as well, another irrelevant point... He plays for bury and should focus there. I honestly don't understand why he's still got his articles.

As I said in the previous post, you and I and the other 30 or so who have posted on this thread are the reason - the Sentinel needs to get mentioned, discussed, loathed if need be by some - but above all they ARE making news. I detest 90 per cent of what is in the Sun and the Daily Mail but it sells because people thrive on controversy, and the Sentinel have created a modicum of interest with this, no big deal but they did what they wanted.

Just look at the trash (ghost) written by everyone from Katie Price, Peter Hitchens, Katie Hopkins and a hundred others churn out - people buy it whether they agree with it or not, if it sells the paper it stays in.

As davidatpreston said above, Sentinel are doing really well out of this non story. Which is their aim. Nothing wrong with a Vale fan writing for the Sentinel, I like reading Phil Sherwins reports, he is a Vale fan.

Phil Sherwin doesn't play for a team in the same division as Vale.

Comment is free but facts are sacred. If Tom Pope wants to write a column for the Sentinel he is free to do so and to express his opinion. If the Sentinel decide to publish his writings, that is their privilege. The Sentinel obviously believe that it helps to sell papers. If you don't like it don't read it.

why is it about the sentinel? i doubt the sentinel would print any of the "opinions" shared on here because they more often than not cross the line. Tom Pope has been asked his opinion, and he has shared it........ Because his opinion and views do not fall in line with "the norm" he is wrong.

Personally if i was give a squad number i would expect to keep it, BUT pvfc are moving forward , stuff changes . Page is showing who's boss . utv

Archived