onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Popes Sentinel Column

Spunk Trumpet

Advert

Shame Pope doesn't just shut up now. The articles he does in the Sentinel are inappropriate and the comments on Yates and the shirt number were pathetic. It's nothing to do with Pope and Yates is lucky to have a number at all so shouldn't be moaning. Childish and unnecessary.

http://m.stokesentinel.co.uk/Tom-Pope-legends-Port-Vale-fan/story-27472004-detail/story.html

The title of this post suggests Popey is no longer a Vale fan.

Wow, what a piece of almost unbeatable stirring !

I don't agree - it means 'when I was a Port Vale fan' as opposed to 'when I was a Port Vale player', and now ex-player but it is crystal clear and absolutely beyond doubt that he is referring to times past, not now. The context of the article is the Legends game, PAST players, and Tom is referring to when he went to see them and cheered them on.

I'm sure also that you wouldn't want to provoke bad reaction over a headline written by a sub-editor (do you know what that is ?) would you ?

He can at least string a sentence together,which is more than can be said for most footballers.:yes:

I want his column to stay and have contacted the Sentinel to let them know that. It is interesting, provocative and insightful - and those that don't like it can read something else, it's a free country - I think.:shifty:

I don't agree - it means 'when I was a Port Vale fan' as opposed to 'when I was a Port Vale player', and now ex-player but it is crystal clear and absolutely beyond doubt that he is referring to times past, not now. The context of the article is the Legends game, PAST players, and Tom is referring to when he went to see them and cheered them on.

I'm sure also that you wouldn't want to provoke bad reaction over a headline written by a sub-editor (do you know what that is ?) would you ?

Well that's Popes perogative to change it, I saw the headline and was shocked.

Point being he should no longer write for the sentinel if they are coming up with headlines like that.

Can i just clarify I'm not stirring but this headline just shows why Pope and the Sentinel should just part ways.

I know Pope is a Vale fan and I know once you're a Vale fan it stays with you for life.

Point being he should no longer write for the sentinel if they are coming up with headlines like that.

I very much doubt Pope has the chance to change the headline. Newspapers generally work in a certain way - columns are written in advance, then sub-edited quite late - it is highly unlikely they would check with every person whose column they write that they are happy with the sub-editors headline.

There is nothing wrong with the headline, it is your interpretation of it that is wrong, and the fact that you are looking for a problem where there isn't one. The text below the headline confirms that TP is talking about his view of past players before he joined Vale.

Why make such a problem of it ?- he hasn't disrespected Vale or anyone else.

I very much doubt Pope has the chance to change the headline. Newspapers generally work in a certain way - columns are written in advance, then sub-edited quite late - it is highly unlikely they would check with every person whose column they write that they are happy with the sub-editors headline.

There is nothing wrong with the headline, it is your interpretation of it that is wrong, and the fact that you are looking for a problem where there isn't one. The text below the headline confirms that TP is talking about his view of past players before he joined Vale.

Why make such a problem of it ?- he hasn't disrespected Vale or anyone else.

The headline reads "when I was a Vale fan".

I'm merely stating the headline I've not had a dig at Pope or the Sentinel.

For some reason though have your knickers in a twist.

Shocked? Jesus, get a grip. With that thought process, I'm surprised you get out of bed in the morning

Archived