Well done Mr Smurthwaite!

OakhillDave

The Bycars is a good stand to watch the game from. The Railway stand is too far from the pitch and has a problem with people moving end to end at half time in that puts off many fans attending games who witness this including those with young children, older supporters and women. But the catering has been stunningly poor with poor burgers, over heated pies, running out of drink etc. There is no beer in the Bycars, I am not bothered about that though. As the above post points out only poor lager beer could be served and not my tipple.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is brilliant news. I hardly ever spend money on food or drink in the ground because it ALWAYS leaves me disappointed. Really looking forward to this, especially in the cold depths of winter.

Rob has said it for years, this website is a very valuable resource for Smurf. He's got some very wide ranging market research, for free and he'd be daft not to use it. If you look at some of the suggestions being made on this thread then you will see a pattern emerge; basically people want a bit of variety but most importantly they don't want rubbish.

I don't know what the trade price for a pie is, but surely the mark up makes it worthwhile not running out and sending the left overs home with the staff?

The Bycars is a good stand to watch the game from. The Railway stand is too far from the pitch and has a problem with people moving end to end at half time in that puts off many fans attending games who witness this including those with young children, older supporters and women. But the catering has been stunningly poor with poor burgers, over heated pies, running out of drink etc. There is no beer in the Bycars, I am not bothered about that though. As the above post points out only poor lager beer could be served and not my tipple.

What a pile of old donkey ****!!!

Beer in the bycars. I don't even sit in there but can't get my head round why they can't have a stall out the back selling cold bottles. Might encourage a few more to go in there.

I was told a few years back that because the concourse behind the bucars is so small, there is no where to serve beer that isn't in view of the pitch. So until the football league change the ridiculous drinking rules the Bycars will remain dry.

What a pile of old donkey ****!!!

As a younger supporter who might go to games in a group, sing, jump up and down, bait the away fans and have drunk several pints i can understand a lack of understanding of the impact. However, if you are an older supporter sitting quietly, or with young children or female, then 500 rowdy supporters many fuelled up on drink invading your seating area etc at half time is highly unappealing. It is why we moved from the Railway paddock to the Bycars. So I highlight this issue for Smurf and he can study it.

As a younger supporter who might go to games in a group, sing, jump up and down, bait the away fans and have drunk several pints i can understand a lack of understanding of the impact. However, if you are an older supporter sitting quietly, or with young children or female, then 500 rowdy supporters many fuelled up on drink invading your seating area etc at half time is highly unappealing. It is why we moved from the Railway paddock to the Bycars. So I highlight this issue for Smurf and he can study it.

Me and mates sit in the corner of the paddock mate by the Family stand as years ago, the second half was always a cracking atmosphere. However, the influx of fans moving seats to that end at half time tends not to happen as much now. Yeah the odd 1 or 2, but not loads. Years ago you would be scared go the Toilet at half time in case you lost your seat, nowadays you could go for a ruddy game of footy and still come back to 15 tumbleweeds either side of you.:laugh: Infact will see how it goes this season, but if no improvement in atmosphere 2nd half, might try and encourage the lads to move.

I think beer tokens are a great idea, in Lorne St as an example you have two kiosks serving food and drink, one could take cash and one could just serve alcohol paid for using beer tokes

A selection of bottled titanic / real ales as well please

For me, it looks like the consensus is that if the club provides quality (and preferably) local food and alcohol (e.g. oatcakes and Titanic) then people will (hopefully) flock to the concourses.

My few ideas are:

1. I wonder if the club have explored the idea of cross-selling? Would it be difficult to say sell Golden Goal tickets, for example. So, you may get your drink pre-match and be asked "do you want to get a golden goal ticket as well?" You don't have to bother to queue at another kiosk and the club increases the sale by a quid or so.

2. How about a loyalty card to encourage repeat purchases? The shop at my railway station offers a free coffee once you've had your card stamped six times.

3. Along similar lines, how about the odd competition for anyone buying food/drink? It may encourage a few more sales if people think they may win something. It should be (although it may not be in practice) easy enough to dish out raffle tickets and then announce them on the scoreboard. A simply prize would be to give the winners some pre-paid vouchers for the next home game.

4. I like the idea of the pre-paid voucher. I see the club think this is a good way of predicting stock so perhaps they could encourage people to pay in advance by offering a "fast-track" aisle for people with vouchers. That's an incentive for people to pay in advance and useful for the club as they will get an idea of demand in advance.

5. As someone who intends to be taking his kids to games more often, will there be an improvement in the kids menu? I'm not sure what could be offered but it may be worth the club looking at what other teams offer in that area.

I think that some kind of pre-ordering/payment before the match for half time purchases could work, order and pay for what you want in exchange for a voucher or reference number then just turn up at half time at a pickup point and pick up your ready cooked pie/burger/drink, would surely help the club knowing how many they need to cook and would also cut down on the congestion at half time.

Also what about having some kind of themed special meal deal based on the team we play for a bit of fun, eg Cornish pasties & cider when we play teams like Plymouth, Yorkshire puddings when we play a Yorkshire team, there is probably a load more, it would be unique and show some creativity from the club.

Bombay Saphire? Ooh no. It has to be Hendricks with a slice of cucumber....

Never tried it, never will now, stopped drinking 3-4 years ago... well it seems that long... started on the bombay many years ago never changed it but dont have bits in it, just ice if it isnt chilled.... canadian club used to be my first choice, started drinking that about 50 years ago.

Difficult opening a food shop just for 2/3 hours once or twice a fortnight, but most football clubs do it. We should be OK with the collective knowledge of our travelling supporters on what is possible. Reducing/improving the menu etc to an economic scale is the challenge. But things can only improve.

Oatcakes, bacon, cheese & tomato.

Wrights Pies, steak or meat and tater - preferably hot.

Usual selection of sweets, chocolate, crisps.

Decent hot drinks - and pepper for the Bovril (I missed it too WWMH).

Decent bottled beer - Titanic a bit bitter for me, sooner have Hobgoblin or Old Peculier - yum.

And I suppose something cold and tasteless for the lagerheads.

Oatcakes, bacon, cheese & tomato.

Wrights Pies, steak or meat and tater - preferably hot.

Usual selection of sweets, chocolate, crisps.

Decent hot drinks - and pepper for the Bovril (I missed it too WWMH).

Decent bottled beer - Titanic a bit bitter for me, sooner have Hobgoblin or Old Peculier - yum.

And I suppose something cold and tasteless for the lagerheads.

Are Wrights pies cheap enough to make them worth selling? I think they're generally pretty crap. Might just be me though

Archived