onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

This Site Has Gone Downhill

Advert

I think we do get a greater variety of comment on here now, across a wider spectrum of topics, and maybe the fact that the focus isn't always on football irritates some folk.

Occasionally, you seem to get the odd incident where 3-4 posters almost 'gang-up' on another, picking fault mercilessly and telling them how stupid they are, which was the point that Jean and Barry were making. That, to me, does go over the top.

You really only need to make a point once or twice and don't have to continue making 12-15 posts in a thread just because someone disagress with your viewpoint. That becomes very tedious and silly, but I guess we all like to think we know best! (My wife certainly does ;))

Lastly, on odd occasions some of the threads turn into a personal slanging match for a few pages and that, again, is very irritating.

But you don't have to read the posts and we all have freedom of expression on here. It remains one of the best and seems to be more popular than ever so something must be working well. :yes:

Admin..are there any stats that indicate if 'popularity/usage' of the forum is increasing or decreasing?

If increasing then I'm afraid that for the opening poster this site is maybe not for you any more

If decreasing then he probably has a point

It's not for any individual (other than maybe ROBF) to say what this site should be about, how people should behave etc etc..the public gets what the public wants subject to admin of course in this case

I would say that it has gone downhill. However the increased usage of the internet in the last few years (particularly mobile usage) has led to some of it. People who would never have thought of joining a Port Vale forum 5 years ago are now on here and posting some rather inane ramblings on the team, which is pretty much what you hear on a matchday.

So in short, yes it probably has gone downhill but at the same time is more reflective of the fanbase as a whole :D

I think the problem is that people have lost the ability to debate. Just because someone thinks differently to another shouldn't be an excuse to ridicule another poster. If someone offers a difference of opinion and explains their reasoning you are far more likely to persuade others to your or their way of thinking.

Unfortunately of late the usual way of opposing an opinion is to abuse the poster. This will never convince others to come round to your way of thinking but is very likely to build up dislike of the poster who is abusing you.

I think the problem is that people have lost the ability to debate. Just because someone thinks differently to another shouldn't be an excuse to ridicule another poster. If someone offers a difference of opinion and explains their reasoning you are far more likely to persuade others to your or their way of thinking.

Unfortunately of late the usual way of opposing an opinion is to abuse the poster. This will never convince others to come round to your way of thinking but is very likely to build up dislike of the poster who is abusing you.

OS, I don't think people have lost the ability to debate, although I think ridiculing people for having their opinions does happen a lot on this site (Re: the UKIP thread, I really did think Carl brought a lot of that on himself though).

We have page upon page of debates on numerous items on this website. Many of the pages are due to the fact that a lot of people can't believe that someone else would have a different opinion to them. This results in several pages of the poster attempting to 'convince' the other poster(s) that their opinion is best and that they should agree with them, blindly ignoring the fact that the other posters have relevant points and that their opinion holds as much water as their own.

I wouldn't say that people have lost their ability to debate, rather that some people have forgotten that other people have the ability to form an opinion that may be different to theirs. To be able to accept a different in opinion, no matter how crazy it seems to us is the ability some people have lost on this site. It can be entertaining sometimes. Other times it can be rather moronic.

i think Norman does his best!

too many people think that they are so right about everything, it's annoying for those of us who know everything to be constantly criticised by those who think they know everything but in fact know nowt.:lecture:

I don't think the site has gone down at all, quite the contrary. Rob and his team continue to do an excellent (UNPAID) job, for which I, for one, am thankful.

I think the personal attacks are a reflection of the way society is going. It has always been a part of human nature. It happened before the days of the internet and social media. The consequence was usually a school yard scrap or a fight in a pub. Those of us that were afraid that might be the result of speaking our mind, tended to keep our counsel back then. Today, sitting behind a keyboard or tapping away on a phone, people don't think twice. they are empowered by a culture that celebrates bad behaviour and encourages personal attacks in the field of politics and entertainment. We stand around like we perhaps did in the school yard when we were kids, watching with glee.

I don't spend quite as much time on OVF as in the past. We have social media to waste away our hours, for better or worse. But it is always a place that I look for news and interesting debate. It's a community I feel part of, even though the only thing I have in common with most of you all is the love of all things Port Vale.

My advice to folks is, think before you type. Try to imagine who the person is that you are responding to, or addressing in your post. Remember that we are all Vale fans (well most of us, Tunstall Potter).

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry..."

I don't think the site has gone down at all, quite the contrary. Rob and his team continue to do an excellent (UNPAID) job, for which I, for one, am thankful.

I think the personal attacks are a reflection of the way society is going. It has always been a part of human nature. It happened before the days of the internet and social media. The consequence was usually a school yard scrap or a fight in a pub. Those of us that were afraid that might be the result of speaking our mind, tended to keep our counsel back then. Today, sitting behind a keyboard or tapping away on a phone, people don't think twice. they are empowered by a culture that celebrates bad behaviour and encourages personal attacks in the field of politics and entertainment. We stand around like we perhaps did in the school yard when we were kids, watching with glee.

I don't spend quite as much time on OVF as in the past. We have social media to waste away our hours, for better or worse. But it is always a place that I look for news and interesting debate. It's a community I feel part of, even though the only thing I have in common with most of you all is the love of all things Port Vale.

My advice to folks is, think before you type. Try to imagine who the person is that you are responding to, or addressing in your post. Remember that we are all Vale fans (well most of us, Tunstall Potter).

"Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry..."

I am always polite as long as people agree with me, you god bothering yank:D

Archived