onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What loan striker could we sign?

robf

If Page is to play 4-2-3-1, as many of us suspect, I think we can get away with signing one striker, with Campion/Kapend in reserve and a clever use of the loan market to cover injuries/suspensions. I think that's what I would be tempted to do as well. If the budget is as near as spent, why split what is left over two average players who'll score less than 10 goals each when we could possibly get one good player who would score more. The main worry for me, is that every player out there mentioned (in our wage bracket), doesn't seem to be as good as Pope.

Advert

Crewe have an interesting player on trial in Souleymane Coulibaly, 20 year old Ivory Coast striker. Won the Golden Boot at the U-17 World Cup in 2011 including a hat-trick against Brazil, but seems to have lost his way a bit.

I'd happily take someone with that pedigree. Surprised he's popped up at Crewe. But then again, we've not had anyone doing any scouting for years.

I would argue very strongly that we need at least 2 strikers.

I'm repeating ad nauseum a point I've been making over several weeks and that is the simple fact that currently we do not have enough players in the squad who score goals. It's as simple as that. One striker who gets us 15 goals isn't going to dramatically change that.

Our best hopes are probably Dodds and Moore but they are not prolific scorers (maybe 6-7 a season) and the scoring cupboard is almost completely bare.

This glaring problem sticks out a mile and we really need at least 2 lads if not 3 to try and improve the situation.

One striker alone won't be good enough. You can't magic goals out of thin air and expect players who have never scored many in their careers to suddenly change their spots.

2 strikers to replace Pope and Williamson is an absolute must for me and hopefully Page.

I don't care what system we might start with, that'll probably change if we lose games so the need is massive for two strikers as I think campion isn't good enough and dodds as we all know will only have a few good games in bursts.

This lad kapend keeps getting mentioned like he's the next world beater but he's a kid and if he's going be involved next season were in trouble.

At the minute obviously there's not enough goals to keep us up as the midfield won't score many.

Big week coming up as we need to get it right or it'll be another long season trying to find the back of the net.

"This lad kapend keeps getting mentioned like he's the next world beater but he's a kid and if he's going be involved next season we're in trouble."

...I agree. We seem to be putting a great deal of faith in the young, inexperienced, untried and untested Kapend. Piling too much pressure and expectation on his young shoulders?

Have we stopped looking at non-league strikers now, or is this aspect now under Glover's remit? In which case, I won't hold my breath.

I would argue very strongly that we need at least 2 strikers.

I'm repeating ad nauseum a point I've been making over several weeks and that is the simple fact that currently we do not have enough players in the squad who score goals. It's as simple as that. One striker who gets us 15 goals isn't going to dramatically change that.

Our best hopes are probably Dodds and Moore but they are not prolific scorers (maybe 6-7 a season) and the scoring cupboard is almost completely bare.

This glaring problem sticks out a mile and we really need at least 2 lads if not 3 to try and improve the situation.

One striker alone won't be good enough. You can't magic goals out of thin air and expect players who have never scored many in their careers to suddenly change their spots.

I think we need 2. In ideal world we'd sign 3 but I think the budget is there for one permanent signing and one loan. The reality of the situation is that the budget is smaller than last season and therefore people are going to have to step up and improve, rather than us going out and spending the cash on a big signing. Dodds I feel, can score goals and get us 10-15 if played regularly.

The impetus is on then to find us another player that can get us 15-20 goals as the main striker, with Dodds playing in the hole as I suspect is how we'll line up. Can we do it? I'm not sure, as I thought we may have moved on someone by now to fill that void. Maybe they think they have someone that could be available on loan from a Premier League club that can do it? It's not beyond the realms of possibility when you look at some of the players on loan that have scored at this level the last couple years. It's possible, but it's a gamble for sure.

There's a lot of broken records playing on this site at the moment- we all know we need two ****ing strikers, Jesus

I'm with u Yukon dunna worry page and smurf are on it I'm just enjoying the summer well if that's what we can call it I've left the Facebook page again Tim is doing my head in on there

I think the budget is there for one permanent signing and one loan.

I think that's spot on. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an experienced permanent and a younger loanee.

Then that would leave a decent mix -

Dodds as withdrawn forward with Foley also able to play there

Permanent bloke as focal point of attack with Campion as reserve (hopefully pushing to replace him)

Loanee, Kapend and (at a push) Daniel as pacy subs to bring on when opponents are tiring

Archived