onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Football League show moves to Channel 5

Advert

If it is for decent money which will then be divided more equally then it will hopefully be a good deal. After all the Premiership boys couldn't care less for our situation as they are too busy 'carving up' their new flood of Sky money which will be given to their needy players because £50,000 a week isn't enough to live on.... is it?

For me, apart from the timing of the show (9pm on Saturdays) the interesting bit is that the FL have dumped Perform as the firm to produce the video clips. As many of you may know, the clubs themselves don't produce the clips that go on the YouTube channel - they are produced by the FLi (who outsources the work to Perform) for all the clubs.

I know Perform as I have had dealings with them and they used to:

1. Run the league websites

2. Create the highlights (including those used on the BBC)

3. Host the "Player" online commentary part of the website

They have now lost the websites (they are now run by Sapient Nitro) and the highlights (which will be produced by ITN for Channel 5) and I wonder if Valiant Player will be given to another company to operate now?

As someone who hasn't been that impressed with the highlights (no commentary on the YouTube ones and the bare minimum - normally just the goals) and who has had to suffer problems with Valiant Player over the years, I hope whoever does do these things makes a better job of it.

There's so much more that could be done with all the FL footage if someone just showed a bit of imagination.

I liked the format of the BBC's coverage apart from Steve Claridge's drivel but it was on at stupid o'clock even if Match of the Day wasn't on. A 9pm highlight show can only be beneficial to the Football League.

I liked the format of the BBC's coverage apart from Steve Claridge's drivel but it was on at stupid o'clock even if Match of the Day wasn't on. A 9pm highlight show can only be beneficial to the Football League.

I personally think it's more important that it's easy to get it on C5's catch-up service.

Football already got stung when they tried to move MOTM to a prime time (ITV thought it was a great idea but people didn't want to watch it) and although the FL show is on late night, it's easy to watch it on the iPlayer after it has aired.

People have so many ways of watching things "on demand" now that I don't think the timing of the programme is actually that important - but I would hope that C5 would treat the product as one of their most important (they don't exactly have that many great programmes) and throw some money at the programme, make it easy to catch-up, make the most of the footage they have (i.e. don't just have bare minimum highlights if there's a story to tell), get decent pundits etc.

The thing that annoyed me with the BBC programme was the lack of effort/interest. All they had was that annoying and patronising "Clem" going around a club each week but they could very easily have borrowed some things from MOTM - a goal of the month competition (how easy would that be), more post-match interviews (not every game but key ones), more varied reporting (i.e. they did nothing on crises at Blackpool and Leeds) and so on...

A little off topic but kind of related ... when did Scottish football suddenly become more important?

Check out the red button and you'll see what I mean. I noticed it on Final Score too.

It used to be that it was the Premiership, Champ, L1, L2, Conference and then Scottish football. Someone has now decided that all the results and tables should have the Scottish Football right after the Championship.

Is it that awful Sturgeon woman?

Again off topic but one of the things that drives me crazy in this PC world of ours is the BBC's pushing of women's football. Frequently on the Beeb's website women's football is one of the headline stories and last week, a women's football story was the main story on a national radio's sports report. Hardly anyone cares about women's football. That's not a sexist statement, it's just fact. Many more people watch the lower leagues on a weekly basis but get nowhere near the coverage that the women's game gets.

Again off topic but one of the things that drives me crazy in this PC world of ours is the BBC's pushing of women's football. Frequently on the Beeb's website women's football is one of the headline stories and last week, a women's football story was the main story on a national radio's sports report. Hardly anyone cares about women's football. That's not a sexist statement, it's just fact. Many more people watch the lower leagues on a weekly basis but get nowhere near the coverage that the women's game gets.

That's the BBC for you?:rolleyes:

This looks promising. A big issue with Port Vale and similar sized clubs is attracting young support when the Premier League dominates the TV - i.e. Stoke City in the local area. The more exposure Port Vale gets along with providing entertaining football when young fans attend the more likely it is the fan base size will be maintained / grown.

I am pleased the football league show will be moving to Channel 5 :). It is a decent time slot as well instead of putting it on late on BBC One when most people are sleep :(. Hopefully it will show Tuesday's night games as well unlike the football league show on BBC which used to miss it out.

I agree with almost everything everyone has said.

The programme could be improved with a bit of imagination and certainly a 9.00 pm slot, before MOTD, is wonderful.

Who wants to stay up until 1.00 am waiting to see a 20 second clip?

Good news all round.

Archived